• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Southmartin

Hey legal experts - tyre advice please

Yesterday on the way out from a local industrial estate, i went over the speed bumps (those hard plastic ones that are bolted into the ground)

A few yards later I could hear a 'slapping' that kept time with the increase in speed. I pulled over and saw the head of a massive bolt had gone straight into the tyre. Annoyingly I had to then put the spare on and drive it home. I have since been to a tyre repair shop who (quite accurate it seems) said that the diameter of the bolt is too wide to do a repair - they have guidance on this and that decisions seems fair inline with guidance

So i'm left with a bill around £250 (£125 each as you can't have uneven tread on the front tyres)

I intend to go back to the place where it happened, and photograph the evidence. As well as keeping the bolt and photographing it in situ also. If I can demonstrate that the bolt in my tyre is the same size as the bolts that are supposed to hold the speed bumps in place, do you think I have a claim against the freeholders of the industrial estate for negligence?

I am keeping all evidence and receipts etc

Worth a shot.

While I'm a change them in pairs man myself, there is no legal reason you can't have two different tread depths on the tyres as long as they are above the legal minimum and of the same size. IIRC don't even need to be the same speed rating as long as they are appropriate - so don't expect them to pay for both without a fight.

6 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Yesterday on the way out from a local industrial estate, i went over the speed bumps (those hard plastic ones that are bolted into the ground)

A few yards later I could hear a 'slapping' that kept time with the increase in speed. I pulled over and saw the head of a massive bolt had gone straight into the tyre. Annoyingly I had to then put the spare on and drive it home. I have since been to a tyre repair shop who (quite accurate it seems) said that the diameter of the bolt is too wide to do a repair - they have guidance on this and that decisions seems fair inline with guidance

So i'm left with a bill around £250 (£125 each as you can't have uneven tread on the front tyres)

I intend to go back to the place where it happened, and photograph the evidence. As well as keeping the bolt and photographing it in situ also. If I can demonstrate that the bolt in my tyre is the same size as the bolts that are supposed to hold the speed bumps in place, do you think I have a claim against the freeholders of the industrial estate for negligence?

If you gather as much evidence as you can, there is a chance. I don't know about them paying for both tyres though, I never have changed both fronts if I need a new tyre, it may be best practice,but isn't really essential, and their fault only ruined one of them.

Good luck though!

Thanks - pretty much what I envisaged TBH

The car is a high spec Audi RS model, and manufacturers advice is to do the in pairs... I agree I might not get both, but they were down to 3 or 4mm anyway, so if I can get one then i'll consider it a fair deal

Posted (edited)

Put a claim in for your time and any other expenses you can think of such as mileage/petrol to and fro etc plus being put to a lot of hassle - it's worth a try.  Presumably the tyre puncture didn't result in any damage to the rim.

You've also identified a faulty speed bump for them so maybe saved them a more serious incident - charge them a finder's fee ;)  There might be an MOT Health and Safety issue on inspection and maintaining of road bumps that they wouldn't want to be involved in.

At least they might be more open to paying for both tyres then.

Edited by twocents

16 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Get your evidence and establish who owns the land the ramp is on  then send them a letter before action 

no chance of getting the second tyre 

If they don’t pay up small claims court 

May not be enough to find out who the freeholder is, you need to be sure the business owners are not jointly responsible for road and road "furniture" maintenance.

Even if you easily sort that one, the most you could hope to get is £40-£50 compensation for a half/two-thirds worn tyre. No chance of getting a second replacement irrespective of what the car maker advises.

41 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

The car is a high spec Audi RS model, and manufacturers advice is to do the in pairs... I agree I might not get both, but they were down to 3 or 4mm anyway, so if I can get one then i'll consider it a fair deal

If the tyres are down to 3mm then for God's sake change them. Performance rapidly drops off from that point especially in the wet. Given it's a high performance car then you'd be mad to run them lower unless you drive like a grandad.

4 minutes ago, the gardener said:

If the tyres are down to 3mm then for God's sake change them. Performance rapidly drops off from that point especially in the wet. Given it's a high performance car then you'd be mad to run them lower unless you drive like a grandad.

but on dry roads the smoother the better, minus bolts of course

47 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Well in that case its your own fault, go swivel. Cunt :P

Mine is one of the very rare ones with consideration and working indicators. I also have a full bike licence so appreciate how important the first two are!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

but on dry roads the smoother the better, minus bolts of course

Not true with a road tyre - as the compound performance drops off due to age.

1 minute ago, Southmartin said:

Mine is one of the very rare ones with consideration and working indicators. I also have a full bike licence so appreciate how important the first two are!

You're still a cunt. Wish I had an RS :) And lived somewhere they weren't predominantly used by drug dealers to race around town.

Edited by Cosmic Apple

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Not true with a road tyre - as the compound performance drops off due to age.

You're still a cunt. Wish I had an RS :) And lived somewhere they weren't predominantly used by drug dealers to race around town.

How about a 'considerate cunt' who actually know how to go around a corner at full chat if need be?

doubt you'd get new-for-old.

very little chance of getting the second tyre.

You'd have a fair-chance if there had been a report of damage to the speed bump.  Not so much chance if not -- might be the speed-bump, might have fallen off a lorry (a tenant - but which one?), might have fallen off a customer or you might be making it up (from their point of view).

I'd write a nice letter about the problem and ask for a £50 goodwill gesture (probably about right given that the tyres were getting close to the recommended 'change them' point, and you've already admitted to being careful with tyres given your 'change them both' strategy).

1 hour ago, Southmartin said:

Tell me it's an RS6 Avant, with a 5 litre V10 and feel the envy pour out of your screen!

AudiRS60408(2)_794_529_70.jpg

2 hours ago, Southmartin said:

Go for it.
Worst you'll waste is a bit of time and a stamp.

6 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Yet another reason to drive a Reliant Robin. 

In my teenage years (yes I can remember that far back - just) a mate had one. There was a load of us in there, way too many but shhhh.  Anyhow  we went over one of what must have been the first sped hump in the country, ugthorpe lodge if anyone is familiar.  

The front wheel buckled so we all had to walk home. 😂

Bollocks

The remaining bolts are all a different head size... So although it's possible this one fell out as it was a replacement that was ill-fitted, my chance to prove blame is utterly shot.

Arse. Thanks anyway

10 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Bollocks

The remaining bolts are all a different head size... So although it's possible this one fell out as it was a replacement that was ill-fitted, my chance to prove blame is utterly shot.

Arse. Thanks anyway

It was probably because it was the wrong size that it shot out and into your tire. Is IR worth having a look at other speed bumps on the estate? 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Southmartin said:

If the bolt came out of the speed bump, I'd be livid.

It shows lack of maintenance, it could have caused a lethal accident.

I'd certainly expect them to pay for damage due to their negligence.

Presumably, not only will the bolt look similar, but there will be a missing bolt in the fitting, which will also show that they don't do a maintenance check.

Edited by Hopeful

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

It was probably because it was the wrong size that it shot out and into your tire. Is IR worth having a look at other speed bumps on the estate? 

Yeah - I checked all of them - but no matches (plenty of spaces where one should have been though)