• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bakez

Job Advice again

Posted (edited)

I have a job interview at big technology company in san francisco

They contacted me 10 weeks ago and since then I have had 3 interviews over the phone at 6-9pm. Every single one was cancelled and rearranged up to 3 times without notice, leaving me wasting my time at a computer waiting for a call that never arrives. The interviews were kind of a waste of time as well for me personally since its not possible to discuss technical when the guy asks if i had questions and then said 'go ahead ive got 3 mins left'

Then they got me to sit some technical assessment which was on stuff that I did when I was about 12. It was so easy it was hard. I thought why are they bothering with this when I was contacted over linkedin due to video of my work that I made.

It took them 3 weeks to get back to me on that and now they want me to have a 'virtual on-site'. So I sit there all day in front of a computer doing virtual video interviews. To be honest it sounds like an even bigger nightmare.

Should I say no and tell them to invite me over for face to face? I literally have an invention that stops their products exploding, so even if i dont get the job its hardly a waste of time for them

Edited by Bakez

And will they pay enough to cover the cost of living in San Fran? And would you be happy only getting 10 days leave a year and working long hours the rest of the year?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

And will they pay enough to cover the cost of living in San Fran? And would you be happy only getting 10 days leave a year and working long hours the rest of the year?

10 days leave .... that many ... it used to be essentially no leave (bar their equivalent of bank holidays) for the first year ... add in an 'at will' contact and you are good to go (pun intended). 'At will' means that you can turn up on Wednesday morning and they give you black bin and you clear your desk and you are paid untill 10:30 am Wednesday when you left the building, no reason is needed .... and you if your invention has been fully disclosed on the previous Tuesday evening then you really are good to go.

Edited by satch

I briefly worked for a massive US conglomerate, in their low cost Belfast R&D office. They'd fired the US programmers and hired a bunch of Belfast folk for fuck all.

One day a bigwig executive from the US comes over and gives a talk; he explains that patenting an invention is so expensive that ordinary folk can't do it, but if we give our ideas to the company, we can get up to 2 grand 'in our pocket' AND a special plaque.

I was a fresh faced 21 year old at the time but even back then I was insulted at how stupid he obviously thought we were.

I don't get it -- you've got a critical invention that they could use, but it is a job interview?  Or is this negotiating a contract?

Anyway:

• If it is a 'job' job, then factor in living costs -- SF is hyper expensive.
  • If it is you trying to sell your invention just fly out there for a face to face.  Don't bother with hotels -- just make it a day (or two) trip.
    • Unless you know you're good at negotiating get someone to help with the negotiations.

39 minutes ago, dgul said:

I don't get it -- you've got a critical invention that they could use, but it is a job interview?  Or is this negotiating a contract?

Anyway:

• If it is a 'job' job, then factor in living costs -- SF is hyper expensive.
  • If it is you trying to sell your invention just fly out there for a face to face.  Don't bother with hotels -- just make it a day (or two) trip.
    • Unless you know you're good at negotiating get someone to help with the negotiations.

Or just sell it direct to their customers?