• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The family was watching 24 Hours in A&E yesterday. It was mostly sob stories not directly related to the accident at hand, but delving into the back story of those being treated.

There was a long item about a socially awkward guy with a cotton bud stuck in his ear (really) and his unfortunate love life.

The story that really wound me up was a young woman who had been involved in an accident and would probably suffer long-term paralysis. The item really dug into the family break down of her parents, then had her sister and father going into great detail about how she went off the rails. I couldn't understand how anyone would go on TV and essentially slag off someone, or at least reveal private family history, just for the sake of being on TV. I've no idea what say the daughter had in all of this. What's that all about?

I don't watch programmes like that. However, I would have hoped that we had moved on from the era of 'washing your dirty laundery' on TV. :(

1 hour ago, mooncat69 said:

The family was watching 24 Hours in A&E yesterday. It was mostly sob stories not directly related to the accident at hand, but delving into the back story of those being treated.

There was a long item about a socially awkward guy with a cotton bud stuck in his ear (really) and his unfortunate love life.

The story that really wound me up was a young woman who had been involved in an accident and would probably suffer long-term paralysis. The item really dug into the family break down of her parents, then had her sister and father going into great detail about how she went off the rails. I couldn't understand how anyone would go on TV and essentially slag off someone, or at least reveal private family history, just for the sake of being on TV. I've no idea what say the daughter had in all of this. What's that all about?

Exasperation Id guess.

If her dad and sister had spent every other weekend driving to AnE, picking her up from another violent boyfriend, moving from one house to another.

Ive known a number of .families where they spend a huge amount of time dealing with members fuckups - and these are people over 18 and necessairly proper mental, just really stupid impulsive selfish cunts. Talking about what theyve done, no matter how stupid or embarrising becomes like talking about the weather - 'Oh, xx boyfriends just out of prisons and hes put in hopistal ..... Ys Oded again .... Oh Ive had to and get Z from the police, shes been drinking in town and fighting with biyf in the town centre ...'

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Remember that when you are watching TV, you are not watching 'real life', you are watching a carefully edited facsimile of real life. There are lots of cases of people going on telly with the best of intentions, and their stories being edited and manipulated out of all recognition, for the purposes of entertainment. 

The So-Called BBC are masters at giving the inexperienced their contract or model release to sign at the end of filming i.e. after you have put in all the effort and are tired and just want to go home. This contract of a few pages will often read along the lines of:

"we can and will use the footage in any way we like, please sign here........."

Not supririsngly, and at the end of a long day, many first-timers don't read the contract or, if they do, they sign it rather than appear awkward, even though they may realise that they are signing a form that opens the flood gates.

Effectively, by presenting the consent form at the end of filming the So-Called BBC are bullying the participants into their consent, and the So-Called BBC know this full well.

The So-Called BBC prey upon ignorance and other broadcasters probably do too.

The broadcasters think they are clever, but they are just scum.

Edited by Hopeful

These sorts of programmes shouldn't exist on pure ethical grounds.  You couldn't undertake an experiment (say) investigating emotional turmoil without loads of checks and balances, and there is a presumption of 'payment' (a naughty incentive for experiments) for those that cooperate as 'you get to be on TV!', which is worth loads (in terms of 'how much you'd have to pay to get to be on TV').  And the programmes aren't even altruistic 'inform the public' -- these are commercial operations that only exist because the makers and distributors will get loads of money.   I remain perplexed how doing this sort of thing 'for the public good' would likely be suppressed, while doing it for entertainment is okay.

Still, I've learnt that most people don't care, and all I can do is ignore them.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, dgul said:

These sorts of programmes shouldn't exist on pure ethical grounds.  You couldn't undertake an experiment (say) investigating emotional turmoil without loads of checks and balances, and there is a presumption of 'payment' (a naughty incentive for experiments) for those that cooperate as 'you get to be on TV!', which is worth loads (in terms of 'how much you'd have to pay to get to be on TV').  And the programmes aren't even altruistic 'inform the public' -- these are commercial operations that only exist because the makers and distributors will get loads of money.   I remain perplexed how doing this sort of thing 'for the public good' would likely be suppressed, while doing it for entertainment is okay.

Still, I've learnt that most people don't care, and all I can do is ignore them.

TV is generally shite and best avoided, IMO. 

I was recently watching an amateur-made Youtube documentary about the financier Anton Kreil. 

I couldn't at first work out what didn't seem right about it, then I realised it was because the editing and pacing was much slower than a modern documentary. It was about two  hours long but very detailed, giving Mr Kreil time to discuss in detail uninterrupted about share trading and the world of global capital. On the So-Called BBC the programme would have been half as long, and Mr Kreil would have been constantly interrupted with SJW commentary and questions, with attempts to 'dramatise' the programme by introducing artificial conflicts etc. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

Many years ago I worked on a programme about a tattoo artist - people were willing, on the spur of the moment, to have any tattoo put on them just so that they could be on the TV. I tried my best to talk them out of it but the producer's eyes lit up at their willingness and getting the shots.

I was, an am to this day, still disgusted by that. Not the people desperate to be on TV but the producer who didn't think twice about accpeting their offer.

They're numerous now,  the same dreary format and a good excuse for a preach about the harm  that the Savage Tory Cuts are having on the NHS/police/planning dept/mental health/add yours here. 

11 hours ago, mooncat69 said:

I wondered where JoeDavola had got to. 

12 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

TV is generally shite and best avoided, IMO. 

I was recently watching an amateur-made Youtube documentary about the financier Anton Kreil. 

I couldn't at first work out what didn't seem right about it, then I realised it was because the editing and pacing was much slower than a modern documentary. It was about two  hours long but very detailed, giving Mr Kreil time to discuss in detail uninterrupted about share trading and the world of global capital. On the So-Called BBC the programme would have been half as long, and Mr Kreil would have been constantly interrupted with SJW commentary and questions, with attempts to 'dramatise' the programme by introducing artificial conflicts etc. 

thanks, am listening to this now