• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Jobs lost, mostly done by EEs

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

150 jobs axed at meat supplier in Bodmin following similar losses last year at equivalent in Redruth.

She's not fully quoted in the story but has been performing all manner of mental cartwheels on this about it being a body blow to the local economy but then goes on to say that it's mostly EE workers who post Brexit "don't feel welcome" so will leave.

Isn't this however the whole point of freedom of movement? Workers come in when there are jobs and move somewhere else when not.

And it's not a body blow to the local economy if these workers weren't local in the first place.

None of her ramblings made much sense unless you are taking the viewpoint of a fully signed up population growther who just wants more and more people living everywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-44328625

Bloody hell Frank, I came on the thread to say how sorry I was that you had lost your job and then see it is not you personally  xD

Anyhoo, back on topic, I don't see how it would make that much difference to the local economy, might even make it better. Two reasons, the EEers will be either sending money home or saving it with a view to moving home. Second, 150 bods will be taking up a lot of local housing, pushing the cost up for local people.  Landlords may well suffer but who cares?  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bloody hell Frank, I came on the thread to say how sorry I was that you had lost your job and then see it is not you personally  xD

Anyhoo, back on topic, I don't see how it would make that much difference to the local economy, might even make it better. Two reasons, the EEers will be either sending money home or saving it with a view to moving home. Second, 150 bods will be taking up a lot of local housing, pushing the cost up for local people.  Landlords may well suffer but who cares?  

Yes, more affordable housing, places in schools, doctors' surgeries, less traffic on the road etc.

It's just good isn't it?

No danger of losing my job and will be huge pressure to stay when I do decide to leave.

Edited by Frank Hovis

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, more affordable housing, places in schools, doctors' surgeries, less traffic on the road etc.

It's just good isn't it?

No danger of losing my job and will be huge pressure to stay when I do decide to leave.

I see it as a good thing for local people yes. Weirdly, and it’s a different issue, slightly, whitby has been really quite this week and it’s half term. 

Good to know you are in demand Frank 👍

Just now, One percent said:

I see it as a good thing for local people yes. Weirdly, and it’s a different issue, slightly, whitby has been really quite this week and it’s half term. 

Good to know you are in demand Frank 👍

They're all in Cornwall!

The first May bank holiday was nice and quiet but we didn't escape the tourist hordes this week.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They're all in Cornwall!

The first May bank holiday was nice and quiet but we didn't escape the tourist hordes this week.

Good, you can keep them. xD

Edit to add, I was going over the new bridge today, which does give a fantastic view and some twatting coach slowed down to 10 miles an hour so that his passengers could take it in.  Not impressed 

Edited by One percent

In my hometown recently there has been public outcry, numerous public meetings held by local mp’s, mep’s and councillors to save a local fish factory that is closing....moving to Grimsby. Mp’s etc don’t care IMO, just want to be seen to care!

The factory has been a major employer for around 30 years. I worked there myself when kids were young on the “xmas order” temporary back shift from Sep to just after New Year. It was good money back then with double and triple time for extra work. Great incentive for me and always said yes to extra!

After the first year on temp Xmas shift I was offered a chargehand job running a production line and the money was even better.... around £400pw with overtime. Twenty five years ago!

Fast forward to today and recent years the employees will be very lucky if they can take home £400pw due to stagnant wages and overtime rates slashed or non existent. It’s a minimum wage place now with a vast EE component to the workforce! I’ve never been tempted to do an xmas run up temp job for many years because of shit pay! If it was equivalent to pay 25 years ago I would. Of course it’s great for EE folks who are housesharing and stashing cash to head back home.

As aside, when I worked there a couple who had worked at Bodmin meat plant came to the fish factory. He was a supervisor and his partner worked in QA. He had really terrible teeth and was nicknamed Jaws......fear of the dentist. He’s probably dead now due to overdosing on OTC painkillers.

Anyway, back on topic, unfettered immigration has IMO driven down wages in my hometown and countrywide.

There are still local families who work at that factory and sadly they’re probably fucked now because they’ll struggle around here to get a steady job.

7 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

In my hometown recently there has been public outcry, numerous public meetings held by local mp’s, mep’s and councillors to save a local fish factory that is closing....moving to Grimsby. Mp’s etc don’t care IMO, just want to be seen to care!

The factory has been a major employer for around 30 years. I worked there myself when kids were young on the “xmas order” temporary back shift from Sep to just after New Year. It was good money back then with double and triple time for extra work. Great incentive for me and always said yes to extra!

After the first year on temp Xmas shift I was offered a chargehand job running a production line and the money was even better.... around £400pw with overtime. Twenty five years ago!

Fast forward to today and recent years the employees will be very lucky if they can take home £400pw due to stagnant wages and overtime rates slashed or non existent. It’s a minimum wage place now with a vast EE component to the workforce! I’ve never been tempted to do an xmas run up temp job for many years because of shit pay! If it was equivalent to pay 25 years ago I would. Of course it’s great for EE folks who are housesharing and stashing cash to head back home.

As aside, when I worked there a couple who had worked at Bodmin meat plant came to the fish factory. He was a supervisor and his partner worked in QA. He had really terrible teeth and was nicknamed Jaws......fear of the dentist. He’s probably dead now due to overdosing on OTC painkillers.

Anyway, back on topic, unfettered immigration has IMO driven down wages in my hometown and countrywide.

There are still local families who work at that factory and sadly they’re probably fucked now because they’ll struggle around here to get a steady job.

Good post EE. When you compare what we were all paid a lot of years ago to what is being paid now, you realise how bad it has become. Meanwhile house prices in certain areas are to infinity and beyond. 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Good post EE. When you compare what we were all paid a lot of years ago to what is being paid now, you realise how bad it has become. Meanwhile house prices in certain areas are to infinity and beyond. 

Yep!

In 1990 I was able to buy, with a sensible mortgage, a desirable cottage in a coastal village for 2x my annual salary with a third deposit of the total price. Price £36k.....

Fifteen years later, 2005, when I was forced to sell due to divorce the sold price was........£186k!

It was a red pill time for me. WTF! How can that happen? In 15 years the price of a house increases by £10k a year......wait a minute my pay has stagnated....it hasn’t increased, I’m struggling to get a decent pay despite trying. WTF! I bought another overpriced house back then because I could do it!

Thankfully house prices have calmed down a bit here because the buying pool is reduced and the wages are still stagnant!

5 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Yep!

In 1990 I was able to buy, with a sensible mortgage, a desirable cottage in a coastal village for 2x my annual salary with a third deposit of the total price. Price £36k.....

Fifteen years later, 2005, when I was forced to sell due to divorce the sold price was........£186k!

It was a red pill time for me. WTF! How can that happen? In 15 years the price of a house increases by £10k a year......wait a minute my pay has stagnated....it hasn’t increased, I’m struggling to get a decent pay despite trying. WTF! I bought another overpriced house back then because I could do it!

Thankfully house prices have calmed down a bit here because the buying pool is reduced and the wages are still stagnant!

👍

13 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Yep!

Gordon Brown, the utter hubristic fuckwit.

Followed Osborne who had a chance to reset but invented Help to Buy.

7 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Gordon Brown, the utter hubristic fuckwit.

Followed Osborne who had a chance to reset but invented Help to Buy.

Nah, started waaayyy before that. I know it’s unpopular on here but it started with thatcher. 

18 minutes ago, One percent said:

Nah, started waaayyy before that. I know it’s unpopular on here but it started with thatcher. 

I blame Eden. It's all been downhill since Suez!

:PissedOff:xD

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes.

I remember a local bank talk from management to branch staff that everything was different now. Reagan/Thatcher policy. At the time I was clueless but in hindsight that was the change.

A move from customer service to sell, sell, sell anything they’ll sign for. A Visa card, loan...anything....just meet your selling targets. Plus restructuring staff, i.e....get rid of those on more pay. Bye bye EE, thank you but fuck off now you cost too much....very early 90’s

Just now, Economic Exile said:

Yes.

I remember a local bank talk from management to branch staff that everything was different now. Reagan/Thatcher policy. At the time I was clueless but in hindsight that was the change.

A move from customer service to sell, sell, sell anything they’ll sign for. A Visa card, loan...anything....just meet your selling targets. Plus restructuring staff, i.e....get rid of those on more pay. Bye bye EE, thank you but fuck off now you cost too much....very early 90’s

Yep.  They went after the unions and the ‘strong’ occupations that could give them a bit of trouble. Once collective action had been essentially outlawed, they came for our terms and conditions. Then pay, then pensions. 

Savings and property next. They are not going to stop unless they are stopped. 

29 minutes ago, One percent said:

Maybe, then it crashed and Major did nothing to interfere. Prices then certainly far from ludicrous.

Just now, Alonso Quijano said:

Maybe, then it crashed and Major did nothing to interfere. Prices then certainly far from ludicrous.

It’s been managed decline for forty years. 

3 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Correct. All Gidiot had to do was the same, and blame it all on Brown (which at the time would have been correct). And another generation would have had it’s chance, once the (considerable) dust had settled. Repeal or gradually reduce tax credits, switch benefits system to contributions-based, everything would have been totally different. All they had to do was behave like Tories are meant to, and clean up the mess. 

12 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Im with Alsono.

Back in the 94-96 London house prices dipped below 3x household income.

Its all Brown fault - massive credit boom, massive spending splurge, massive immigration.

Then, when it went pop in 2007 he could not accept what a fuck up hed made.

If Gidiot had balls he'd have slashed tax credits -or bumped he hours up, let house prices carry on falling, and blamed it all on Brown.

He chickened out and, as a result, weve got Steptoe, Brexit, and national debt has doubled.

The national debt is biggy. The UK has moved into developing country type of financing. UKs going to see massive swings in cost of debt when

14 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

You would think so.... I was debating with some dickhead on the Economist website that was saying immigration hadn't reduced wages.... On one hand everyone accepts that "supply and demand" means the price of a good goes down if supply goes up. However some people think more labour supply doesn't reduce wages... 

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

You would think so.... I was debating with some dickhead on the Economist website that was saying immigration hadn't reduced wages.... On one hand everyone accepts that "supply and demand" means the price of a good goes down if supply goes up. However some people think more labour supply doesn't reduce wages... 

The new housing minister (?Raab) was challenged to "prove it" after stating that mass immigration had exacerbated the housing shortage.

This was a genuine WTF in that these SJWs have now abandoned basic logic for ideology: mass immigration is a very good thing therefore it cannot cause any bad things.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The new housing minister (?Raab) was challenged to "prove it" after stating that mass immigration had exacerbated the housing shortage.

This was a genuine WTF in that these SJWs have now abandoned basic logic for ideology: mass immigration is a very good thing therefore it cannot cause any bad things.

I watched Question Time  a few years back and someone said immigration increased house prices. Kirsty Allsop (location location) was on the panel and said "house prices have nothing to do with immigration". 

Millions of years of evolution and we come up with SJWs :(

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

He should have poured a pint of water into a half-pint glass.

xD

36 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Some people are fucking idiots then.