• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Facebook falling

Good oh. I took the opportunity to delete my profile when I wouldn't accept their revised privacy settings this week and after two "unexpected errors" it let me do it at the third time of asking.

Down 20% amongst US yoof and now only fourth at 51%; it's taken a while but all these platforms go the way of Friends Reunited in the end.

US teenagers are ditching Facebook in favour of platforms such as YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat, a study says.

Only 51% use Facebook, which is a 20 percentage point drop since 2015, when the US-based Pew Research Center last surveyed teens' social media habits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44329488

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Good oh. I took the opportunity to delete my profile when I wouldn't accept their revised privacy settings this week and after two "unexpected errors" it let me do it at the third time of asking.

Down 20% amongst US yoof and now only fourth at 51%; it's taken a while but all these platforms go the way of Friends Reunited in the end.

US teenagers are ditching Facebook in favour of platforms such as YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat, a study says.

Only 51% use Facebook, which is a 20 percentage point drop since 2015, when the US-based Pew Research Center last surveyed teens' social media habits.

According to my kids, it’s only us wrinklies who use farcebook. The yoof has moved onto other platforms (don’t ask I have not a clue) 

I've not accepted either and so far haven't missed it yet..  though I did like some of the special interest groups.

As a concept I quite like facebook..  but there's too much government/state meddling in it now and I don't feel my personal information is particularly private any more (from the authorities). It has to go sadly.

35 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That would be the instagram owned by facebook, right? :)

And Youtube owned by Google.

Hardly sticking it to the man, are they? They just don't want something their parents know how to use :)

24 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

That would be the instagram owned by facebook, right? :)

And Youtube owned by Google.

Hardly sticking it to the man, are they? They just don't want something their parents know how to use :)

BlueCat junior and his mates are all on something called Discord.

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

BlueCat junior and his mates are all on something called Discord.

We used to use similar things back in the late 90s. I think Teamspeak was one... can't remember the others tbh. Mostly gamer orientated for groups that already knew each other. Gone full circle :P They'll be using IRC next.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

We used to use similar things back in the late 90s. I think Teamspeak was one... can't remember the others tbh. Mostly gamer orientated for groups that already knew each other. Gone full circle :P They'll be using IRC next.

That’s a good idea, I’ll suggest it to him!

3 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

What is wrong with a cb radio? 

Nothing.

I predict, like turntables for vinyl records, that CB communication will have a revival.

Personally I wasn’t involved with CB back in the day but I did love the local enthusiast’s pseudonym......the double lady breakers....you’d have to live in or near to the town to appreciate or work out that witty name! 

With ever increasing tracking and censoring people will find another way to talk!

15 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

What is wrong with a cb radio? 

Range? Can't talk to someone in Aus at the drop of a hat... the internet makes the world VERY small :)

7 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Nothing.

I predict, like turntables for vinyl records, that CB communication will have a revival.

Personally I wasn’t involved with CB back in the day but I did love the local enthusiast’s pseudonym......the double lady breakers....you’d have to live in or near to the town to appreciate or work out that witty name! 

With ever increasing tracking and censoring people will find another way to talk!

We would all sit in a car park, next to each other and talk on the cb  xD

2 hours ago, One percent said:

According to my kids, it’s only us wrinklies who use farcebook. The yoof has moved onto other platforms (don’t ask I have not a clue) 

Yeah very few people use it from my age group on a regular basis now. Been like that for a few years too among my friends. I was ahead of the curve and deleted mine in about 2008.

They own WhatsApp though which is still used a lot  

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Yeah very few people use it from my age group on a regular basis now. Been like that for a few years too among my friends. I was ahead of the curve and deleted mine in about 2008.

They own WhatsApp though which is still used a lot  

Behave.  No need to rub it it. You were meant to say, “but you lot are not wrinklies”.  xD

I use FB once a month. I had it off to a 'T'. Between last time and today they have added lots of new features that are pants IMO and which took me an age to understand :PissedOff:

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Wankspider

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

You’ve lost me there. o.O

Just Google it.

Safe for work I promise. 

:wanker:

Facebook Shuts Down Iran-Linked Pages Attacking Brexit and Israel, Backing Corbyn and Scottish Separatists

https://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/08/26/facebook-shuts-down-iran-linked-anti-brexit-pro-corbyn-snp-pages/

Facebook has closed a number of “inauthentic” pages linked to Iran which attacked Brexit and Israel and supporting Jeremy Corbyn and Scotland separating from the United Kingdom — but the political establishment and broadcast media have remained remarkably quiet.

Facebook shut down 652 pages, groups, and accounts, including ‘The British Left’ and ‘Free Scotland 2014’ — one of the largest pro-separatist pages on social media — which were found to be engaged in “co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour” after a tip-off from the FireEye cybersecurity firm, The Telegraph reports.

They were linked to the Islamist regime in Iran via Iranian state media and its ‘Liberty Front Press’ front group, with Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg confirming the network of accounts were shut down for “misleading people about who they were and what they were doing”.

Pro-EU posts shared by the impostor accounts depicted an English longbowman preparing to shoot an arrow into his own body and a man firing a pistol at his foot as a euphemism for Brexit.

Interesting.

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2018 at 21:25, ccc said:

Just Google it.

Safe for work I promise. 

Here's a wee link directly for everyone instead; you're welcome:

EDIT: actually fuck that in case someone actually clicks on it and loses their job. Don't need that on my conscience.

Edited by JoeDavola

I use Facebook as it is my only real means of keeping up to date with the mates I see once or twice a year but would not want to lose contact with. Phone numbers, addresses change etc. but a group chat on Facebook is an easy way to get a meet up sorted. Facebook had a critical mass of users to allow this to happen, if ever that was threatened I'd struggle to see the point. It worked because most people were on it. If that ceases to be, its either another rival platform or back to texting/phoning.

1 minute ago, SillyBilly said:

I use Facebook as it is my only real means of keeping up to date with the mates I see once or twice a year but would not want to lose contact with. Phone numbers, addresses change etc. but a group chat on Facebook is an easy way to get a meet up sorted. Facebook had a critical mass of users to allow this to happen, if ever that was threatened I'd struggle to see the point. It worked because most people were on it. If that ceases to be, its either another rival platform or back to texting/phoning.

Sooo last year dharling. WhatsApp is where it’s at now. I think...  haven’t a clue really but the yoof  isn’t using it anymore. o.O

On 01/06/2018 at 17:37, Frank Hovis said:

Only 51% use Facebook, wh

That's fine. They've just added 'units' to make it more useful as a learning tool.