• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Credit cards being declined

Recommended Posts

Just bought something on Amazon and got a card declined email. 

Worried, I’ve just logged into my nationwide account, thinking it’s been hacked and someone has gone on a spending spree.

but no, there is a message popping up saying that cards being declined is an industry wide issue (whatever that means) and that they are working to resolve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was out in the supermarket earlier. Lady at Morrisons checkout said it has been horrible.  We paid in cash no probs.

News says it's happening across Europe with Visa.

I suggest this notice:

 

41nVkPkdArL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 201p said:

Was out in the supermarket earlier. Lady at Morrisons checkout said it has been horrible.  We paid in cash no probs.

News says it's happening across Europe with Visa.

I suggest this notice:

 

41nVkPkdArL.jpg

Updated with MasterCard and that seems ok.  Off to see if it’s been reported in the MSM 

Just now, sarahbell said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44335804

Visa payment disruption hits Europe

Saved me a google search ta 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The frequency with which these situations are happening leads me to speculate that the whole system is bust and individual institutions are just play acting technical problems where the underlying issue is actually their cashflow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blobloblob said:

The frequency with which these situations are happening leads me to speculate that the whole system is bust and individual institutions are just play acting technical problems where the underlying issue is actually their cashflow. 

Our cash flow. They have our money. 

Gold coins it is then. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lidl and Aldi about 10 years ago, only took cash or debit cards. The number of people looking a bit miffed when the checkout person declined their credit cards was something I remembered.

---

I would post links but since the last Windows update my copy and paste function on the mouse is refusing to work. It's a conspiracy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 2 Visa cards declined in my local petrol station earlier. Bit difficult to come back later when you've just filled the car up, so the poor lady behind the counter had to pull the old swipe machine out of the drawer, and between the two of us we kind of remembered / figured out how to use it.

If I'd been a less honest type I think I could quite easily have misdirected her and gone off with a free tank of fuel there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got declined at the Petrol Station and Morrisions this afternoon switch to a Mastercard and OK.

They were manual swiping with paper things on some tills, very retro.

Manager said that Visas servers had been hacked and they had shut them down and tried to restart them or something.

Perhaps they run on Windows 10 and have had a forced update from Macroshaft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Got declined at the Petrol Station and Morrisions this afternoon switch to a Mastercard and OK.

They were manual swiping with paper things on some tills, very retro.

Manager said that Visas servers had been hacked and they had shut them down and tried to restart them or something.

Perhaps they run on Windows 10 and have had a forced update from Macroshaft.

XP more like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to two banks earlier and the cash machines were down then i went to Tescos only to find their card readers were down and have been most of the day so cash only the latter could have caused the former (empty machines) ....still a pain in the arse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 201p said:

Lidl and Aldi about 10 years ago, only took cash or debit cards. The number of people looking a bit miffed when the checkout person declined their credit cards was something I remembered.

---

I would post links but since the last Windows update my copy and paste function on the mouse is refusing to work. It's a conspiracy!

Synaptics pointing device ...it fucked mine up to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all take Visa payments for granted but the operation behind the scenes is truly staggering. Billions of transactions daily with each transaction going through a simple but vitally important IF ELSE THEN operation. In IT terms it is simple but complicated due to the sheer volume of transactions.

But it works annd works so well that we don't give it a second thought. That is has gone down suggest either something major has failed - unlikely - or they have been hacked.

I was about to use my Visa card to buy a new phone from Ali Express but I will wait until tomorrow at least for things to be sorted. I suggest avoiding using Vias for payments if you can for24 hours or until things are fixed. Slim possibility of being charged more than once - slim but possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 201p said:

Lidl and Aldi about 10 years ago, only took cash or debit cards. The number of people looking a bit miffed when the checkout person declined their credit cards was something I remembered.

---

I would post links but since the last Windows update my copy and paste function on the mouse is refusing to work. It's a conspiracy!

 

The sound stopped working on the latest update. The previous update killed some of my keyboard. The latest one has stopped the sound. I have removed, reinstalled the audio drivers 1001 times this week. There is a conflict between the realtek drivers and MS drivers fighitng for control... and the sound just stops working after about a second. I have to go through a long process to get them working again.

I am so close to dumping Windows and certainly dumping Dell Hell laptops - am thinking about either buying a Mac or only buying really cheap laptops in the future because these things are so fecking unreliable now. If you peruse the forums there are all manner of problems since the last big update and neither manufacturers or MS seem to be bothered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Check your banks if you swiped and it didn't work. It might at some point and leave you surprised! (says someone on the news this morning)

Having worked in a local bank branch, albeit over 25 years ago, I got into the habit of keeping a book detailing all deposits and withdrawals so I always know to the penny exactly how much is in my current account. I don’t trust them having seen the mistakes that were made first hand!

Apart from that it’s a good financial management to take care of ones money and expenditure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Having worked in a local bank branch, albeit over 25 years ago, I got into the habit of keeping a book detailing all deposits and withdrawals so I always know to the penny exactly how much is in my current account. I don’t trust them having seen the mistakes that were made first hand!

Apart from that it’s a good financial management to take care of ones money and expenditure!

Exactly. I use Microsoft money now rather than write it down. One of the better softwares that Microsoft have done. They don’t do it anymore but you can still get a legacy copy on the internet for free. 

I think it’s very good at tracking household expenditure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, One percent said:

Exactly. I use Microsoft money now rather than write it down. One of the better softwares that Microsoft have done. They don’t do it anymore but you can still get a legacy copy on the internet for free. 

I think it’s very good at tracking household expenditure 

I’m perhaps a bit more Luddite than you one percent!

I don’t trust computer records at all......too much in the ether for me!

When I bought my present gaff I was horrified to be told that there were no deeds for ME to hold and do as I wished with because it was all online now. No way! I have a letter and copy of my ownership of this home here and in the solicitor’s safe along with my will!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.