• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Did anyone else find that their cash still worked on Friday?

Oh what fun will a cashless society be.

And what if it was down for a week rather than a day?

The issue occurred just as Brits prepared to knock-off work for the weekend and just one day after pay day.

And cashless customers took to social media to vent their frustration after seeing their payments rejected - with drivers unable to pay tolls on the Severn Bridge to enter Wales.

One wrote: “It looks like no-one can get into Wales in the M4 this evening due to #visa card failure at the Severn Bridge tolls.”

“To top that, at 8pm the M4 is scheduled to close between Magor 23A & the Coldra Croeso y Gymru.”

One posted: “Just on the train now. 20 minutes. Visa card payments aren’t working. Missed a train trying to buy a ticket.”

Another said: “It was not funny having my card rejected at garage #visa & I look forward to MASSIVE compo you'll be sending me to apologise!”

A third tweeted: “#Visa complete joke been to kfc and mcdonalds with the kids and both couldn't take cards! Grrr get on and fix the problem!”

But the issue wasn't limited to the UK, with Visa customers across Europe complaining of problems.

One Irish Visa user wrote: “Full bag of KFC left at the counter as Visa Debit is not working. Morto!! Happening all across Europe apparently.”

And a Brit in Austria wrote: “Sat in a bar in Vienna, can’t pay the bill because visa is down everywhere... and then an advert for visa debit comes on. Oh the irony #visa debit.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6430640/visa-down-network-crashes-uk-europe-card-payments/

Cash is indeeed king

Pound-sterling-21.jpg

Always carry at least two credit cards from different networks is the lesson. And plenty of cash as backup. Maybe some gold and silver coins too now that I think of it (in case the cash turns out to be counterfeit).

o - m - G! I know exactly what you mean!

I paid by cash in the supermarket and like, wow! 

They accepted it!

On am ore serious note - spousebot told me about it being on the news, so I checked out twitter.

Apparently it's all the fault of Brexit,  that's why it happened all over Europe. 

And GDPR - because that's Mrs May's fault too.

Personally, I think they're wrong - there has to be a reason why it's really all Donald Trump's fault.

I mainly use cash so I knew nothing about it until I saw one percent’s post on here. Plus I always have reserve cash in my purse.

When I went to Aldi early this morning they had a sign up saying cash only due to technical problems. While waiting to pay I heard the cashier tell the fella in front of me that a lot of people paid with cash in the store so it hadn't been a problem for a lot of folk. It was good to hear that!

Lovely picture @Frank Hovison your original post of all those twenty quid notes!

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I mainly use cash so I knew nothing about it until I saw one percent’s post on here. Plus I always have reserve cash in my purse.

When I went to Aldi early this morning they had a sign up saying cash only due to technical problems. While waiting to pay I heard the cashier tell the fella in front of me that a lot of people paid with cash in the store so it hadn't been a problem for a lot of folk. It was good to hear that!

Lovely picture @Frank Hovison your original post of all those twenty quid notes!

That’s @spygirl 100k. 

37 minutes ago, One percent said:

I started a thread on this on Friday as I couldn’t buy something on amazon. The horror. My MasterCard went through ok though. 

I did have a quick look but couldn't see one.

14 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

Very nice. It’s much better than nothing!

And highly superior to a poke in the eye with a point-ended stick, as a relative used to attest to, but never actually demonstrated.

Whatever happened to logical empiricism?

27 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

And highly superior to a poke in the eye with a point-ended stick, as a relative used to attest to, but never actually demonstrated.

Whatever happened to logical empiricism?

Or

A slap in the belly with a wet fish

I know a couple of people who have really embraced this cashless thing including being able to pay by touching your phone to the card reader as I saw someone do in Lidl a few months ago before I was evyrn aware that you could do this.

For them it's primarily convenience as they like the idea of only having to carry their phone when they go out; and if it could also serve as door keys and car keys then they would also embrace that for the same reason.

I can see the appeal but I can also see how this can go wrong as on Friday.

Back in the late 80s Filofax was the equivalent of today's smartphone: diary, calendar, address book, reference pages.  Some people also used it as their wallet with their cards in separate sections.  Again it's the all in one convenience that appealed.

And all great until it goes wrong.  A workmate related how he was on the phone at Kings Cross (there used to be whole banks of payphones at stations) and he was taking notes from the phone call in his Filofax on the little shelf they had.

Finished the call, walked away, left the Filofax.  Realised a few minutes later but it had gone including his credit cards (bit flash, had several which was a status symbol for some in those days), addresses, etc.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know a couple of people who have really embraced this cashless thing including being able to pay by touching your phone to the card reader as I saw someone do in Lidl a few months ago before I was evyrn aware that you could do this.

For them it's primarily convenience as they like the idea of only having to carry their phone when they go out; and if it could also serve as door keys and car keys then they would also embrace that for the same reason.

I can see the appeal but I can also see how this can go wrong as on Friday.

Back in the late 80s Filofax was the equivalent of today's smartphone: diary, calendar, address book, reference pages.  Some people also used it as their wallet with their cards in separate sections.  Again it's the all in one convenience that appealed.

And all great until it goes wrong.  A workmate related how he was on the phone at Kings Cross (there used to be whole banks of payphones at stations) and he was taking notes from the phone call in his Filofax on the little shelf they had.

Finished the call, walked away, left the Filofax.  Realised a few minutes later but it had gone including his credit cards (bit flash, had several which was a status symbol for some in those days), addresses, etc.

In a few thousand years time a following civilisation will be excavating our refuse dumps and trying to piece together documents from binary data on broken computer hard drives to try and learn what our civilisation knew and understand why and how it collapsed.

Edited by Hopeful

Just now, Hopeful said:

In a few thousand years time a following civilisation will be excavating our refuse dumps and trying to piece together documents from broken computer hard drives to try and learn what our civilisation knew and understand why and how it collapsed.

I can certainly see huge problems in the pipeline from power cuts because so much of what we do in work or commerce is wholly dependent upon the electric being on.

We individually tend to relate power cuts back to childhood experiences of keeping a few candles in the kitchen as some evenings the power goes off for a couple of hours.  And for shops / pubs then it was a similarly minor inconvenience; tills were manual and everyone paid cash or cheque.

Now if there's no power then payment systems don't work so that's everything halted.

I've had the odd precursor of it at work when the power goes there and everyone has a blank screen.  Suddenly you're all useless and no more than tea drinking desk tidiers.

Add in electric cars not charging and you can see how a half day power cut can cause severe problems.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can certainly see huge problems in the pipeline from power cuts because so much of what we do in work or commerce is wholly dependent upon the electric being on.

We individually tend to relate power cuts back to childhood experiences of keeping a few candles in the kitchen as some evenings the power goes off for a couple of hours.  And for shops / pubs then it was a similarly minor inconvenience; tills were manual and everyone paid cash or cheque.

Now if there's no power then payment systems don't work so that's everything halted.

I've had the odd precursor of it at work when the power goes there and everyone has a blank screen.  Suddenly you're all useless and no more than tea drinking desk tidiers.

Add in electric cars not charging and you can see how a half day power cut can cause severe problems.

I went into my local village CoOp store - tiny little corner shop but well stocked. Every local is well known. I needed some shallots and cream for a lobster I'd caught for supper. Notice on door saying "no credit cards". As I'd come straight from the boat I had no cash, just the credit card I keep in the truck. No need for cash in the truck as I'll never pay for parking :)

I asked the mid-twenties cashier if I could have it on 'Tick'

I got a blank expression back

"You know, on tick, on credit" I said

"No sorry, we don't do credit"

oh the irony