• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Bycicles

Just left work. On crossing a zebra crossing a woman on a push bike came steaming up. I was three quarters across and if I had not stopped, would have been run over by this loon. It is not the first time. 

We had this discussion on the other thread.  

My position is that rather than encourage them at taxpayers ' expense, they should be banned. A danger to themselves and others. 

If not a ban then the at the very least they should have to display a way of others being able to identify them.  

Thank goodness you aren't talking about bicycles :D

But yes, you get shitty behaviour from all road users, bycicle riders included.  I had a motorcyclist squeeze past me and a car with an inch to spare while I was waiting to turn right the other day. Annoying in a car, damn near terrifying on my bike. I try to be zen about cycling nowadays. 

Edited by SCC

I did once accidentally shoulder charge a poor girl off her bike when I sprinted across the road in a gap in traffic and didn't see her.  I helped her up and apologised and all was fine.

This may again be a London thing as I remember bike couriers totally ignoring pedestrians when I used to work there, I recall one near miss when, once he was safely out of arm's reach (I am rather big) swore at me like it was my fault. 

Just now, SCC said:

Thank goodness you aren't talking about bicycles 

But yes, you get shitty behaviour from all road users, bycicle riders included. 

Don't you start too. xD  on my phone and can't see the keys or ketbaord easily. And it's crapple predictive text. O.o

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I did once accidentally shoulder charge a poor girl off her bike when I sprinted across the road in a gap in traffic and didn't see her.  I helped her up and apologised and all was fine.

This may again be a London thing as I remember bike couriers totally ignoring pedestrians when I used to work there, I recall one near miss when, once he was safely out of arm's reach (I am rather big) swore at me like it was my fault. 

Yeah, all road users make mistakes. A quick sorry or apologetic smile goes a long way. 

There is something about transport that brings out the worst in lots of people. I walk, cycle, drive, use the bus/tram/subway and fly regularly and there are different sets of wankers to deal with in each case! Even people swimming lengths at the local pool are jerks sometimes.

An idiot driver is ten times the risk of an idiot cyclist.

So if we are going to ban bikes - we need to ban cars ten times over. 

I've never understood the seethe with cyclists. I do both and see idiots doing both. 

I've heard a multitude of people saying they hate ALL cyclists and they should be banned. Yet never heard a single person say that about car drivers.

Very bizarre. 

Ask yourself how many Mentally ill followers of the ROP have chosen a bike to commit a murderous act with.

16 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

There is something about transport that brings out the worst in lots of people. I walk, cycle, drive, use the bus/tram/subway and fly regularly and there are different sets of wankers to deal with in each case! Even people swimming lengths at the local pool are jerks sometimes.

Fuck don't get me started.:Old:

I don't mind cyclists. Unless they're riding down Queen Street in Cardiff when I'm on lunch from work.

The street is pedestrianised and at that time of day fucking rammed with people. It's just retarded. It's not an issue in the evening as there's few enough people it doesn't matter.

52 minutes ago, ccc said:

Well lets be serious. Number of people killed by bicyclists each year: about 0, number of people killed by cars, thousands.

No excuse for not respecting zebras though. Probably an immigrunt.

55 minutes ago, ccc said:

So if we are going to ban bikes - we need to ban cars ten times over. 

I've never understood the seethe with cyclists. I do both and see idiots doing both. 

I've heard a multitude of people saying they hate ALL cyclists and they should be banned. Yet never heard a single person say that about car drivers.

Very bizarre. 

Ask yourself how many Mentally ill followers of the ROP have chosen a bike to commit a murderous act with.

Fuck don't get me started.:Old:

My point, probably badly made in my seething fog of anger from my crapple phone on my way home is that I'm sick of this.  Busy central London so lots of varying types of transport and a lot of people. Those on bikes seem to see it as a badge of honour to totally disregard the Highway Code. They cross red lights (don't care about this, their lookout)' ride on the pavements and completely ignore zebra crossings.  The times  I have been nearly wiped out by a bike going at speed across a zebra crossing I cannot begin to count. 

The one today was so near and so fast that I wanted to report it. There is no way of identifying who was riding it though 

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Well lets be serious. Number of people killed by bicyclists each year: about 0, number of people killed by cars, thousands.

No excuse for not respecting zebras though. Probably an immigrunt.

It's more than zero unfortunately.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4194196/amp/One-crash-day-involving-cyclists-pedestrians.html

But in any case, you don't have to get to the point that you've killed somebody before you're a cunt xD

8 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It's more than zero unfortunately.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4194196/amp/One-crash-day-involving-cyclists-pedestrians.html

But in any case, you don't have to get to the point that you've killed somebody before you're a cunt xD

Thanks speccy, good work there.  This in particular caught my eye:

"Among the most serious crashes was that involving Philip Benwell, who knocked down a schoolgirl and left her for dead after jumping a red light in 2013."

the majority, and I'm not kidding, appear to view themselves as king of the road and as such normal rules don't apply.  They routinely ignore red lights.  

Then this caught my eye:

"He was jailed for a year after admitting causing grievous bodily harm. He was initially charged with ‘wanton and furious cycling’ under a law enacted in 1861."

i just love the title of that piece of legislation   xD

IMO one thing which could improve cyclists behaviours (but feel free to argue about it) is the electric bike.  These are seen as a kind of 'cheating' or some such by cyclists, but I've got one and I think it is fantastic. 

See, I think that the majority of problem behaviour with cyclists is the need to keep your speed up, because it is such a hassle to have to speed up after slowing down / stopping.  These people for whom cycling is great because you get this fantastic exercise (which is true) also want to exert as little effort as possible by not stopping at red lights, zebra crossings, etc.  But electric bikes make it really easy to speed up again, so it isn't such a hassle to stop.  Hence you stop/slow down when appropriate and don't get cross about it.

IMO we'd be much better off if all those cycle commuters etc would just grow up a bit and get electric assist and stop being such martyrs for the pedal.

23 minutes ago, dgul said:

IMO one thing which could improve cyclists behaviours (but feel free to argue about it) is the electric bike.  These are seen as a kind of 'cheating' or some such by cyclists, but I've got one and I think it is fantastic. 

See, I think that the majority of problem behaviour with cyclists is the need to keep your speed up, because it is such a hassle to have to speed up after slowing down / stopping.  These people for whom cycling is great because you get this fantastic exercise (which is true) also want to exert as little effort as possible by not stopping at red lights, zebra crossings, etc.  But electric bikes make it really easy to speed up again, so it isn't such a hassle to stop.  Hence you stop/slow down when appropriate and don't get cross about it.

IMO we'd be much better off if all those cycle commuters etc would just grow up a bit and get electric assist and stop being such martyrs for the pedal.

My preferred option would be to shoot them. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

London is infested by wankers, so irrespective of what you are doing or how you are travelling they all rub each other up the wrong way.

Humans are not really designed to live cheek by jowl with huge numbers of other humans.

Think of housing, most people would love a detached house so there is some distance between you and the idiot next door.

Driving cars is the same, you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front and some cunt will jump into it and brake 50 yds before the end of a slip road.

The twats who use the right turn lane at a roundabout to make a left turn.

The people who think its ok to dump trash in the streets because the council will clean it up.

The unknown person whose dog shits on that little patch of grass called your front garden.

The list is endless.

18 minutes ago, One percent said:

Heres a nice little London based event for your calendar, this years is on the 10th of June.

Might be worth getting a nice little bike and giving it a go, as they say you should try anything once and we all might sponsor you for charity.

4 hours ago, dgul said:

I think it's a bit of an excuse.  Unless I'm running late, I'm quite happy stopping for a bit of a breather and taking in the scenery - even in smelly horrible London. I suspect a lot of the problem is cycle couriers. A friend of mine used to be one, and he stops for nothing - including amusingly several times not even for the police (and got fined a few times as a result). Another more recent problem are the strata idiots who treat London's streets as their own personal race track. Hard to say how many of these are a problem, but probably enough to damage cycling's reputation. 

A bit of a consideration all round wouldn't go amiss frankly as the max you are going to save  by riding like a loon over a 40-60 min journey is around 10 mins I reckon. If you really need that extra ten minutes, then get up earlier or take a look at your life priorities. 

Edited by SCC

8 hours ago, One percent said:

Thanks speccy, good work there.  This in particular caught my eye:

"Among the most serious crashes was that involving Philip Benwell, who knocked down a schoolgirl and left her for dead after jumping a red light in 2013."

the majority, and I'm not kidding, appear to view themselves as king of the road and as such normal rules don't apply.  They routinely ignore red lights.  

Then this caught my eye:

"He was jailed for a year after admitting causing grievous bodily harm. He was initially charged with ‘wanton and furious cycling’ under a law enacted in 1861."

i just love the title of that piece of legislation   xD

No. You just notice and remember the ones that do this.

And whilst yes there are a number of absolute twat cyclists out there - they really are a small minority.

I despise the pavement leaping not giving a fuck biking arseholes as much as anyone - for the record. 

1 hour ago, ccc said:

No. You just notice and remember the ones that do this.

And whilst yes there are a number of absolute twat cyclists out there - they really are a small minority.

I despise the pavement leaping not giving a fuck biking arseholes as much as anyone - for the record. 

Not in London. It's as if a virus is spreading through their minds.  Cycle lanes are the worst.  They, and I do mean they and not one or two, do not when using the specially created cycle lanes, stop for nothing, including red lights and zebra crossings. 

The plan is to carry a long umbrella and stick it in the spokes of the next one who mows me down on a zebra crossing 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Not in London. It's as if a virus is spreading through their minds.  Cycle lanes are the worst.  They, and I do mean they and not one or two, do not when using the specially created cycle lanes, stop for nothing, including red lights and zebra crossings. 

The plan is to carry a long umbrella and stick it in the spokes of the next one who mows me down on a zebra crossing 

The concentrations of inconsiderate or dangerous transport concerns varies wildly by location. I think mental cyclists are an absolute menace in London, particularly central. Out in the burbs they're much less of a concern than housewives in enormous 4x4s.

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The concentrations of inconsiderate or dangerous transport concerns varies wildly by location. I think mental cyclists are an absolute menace in London, particularly central. Out in the burbs they're much less of a concern than housewives in enormous 4x4s.

Yes!  

A neighbour is exactly as you describe. A massive BMW brick like thing which she just cannot drive.  What amazes me is that they have had it for a few years yet her driving shows no sign of improvement. 

57 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes!  

A neighbour is exactly as you describe. A massive BMW brick like thing which she just cannot drive.  What amazes me is that they have had it for a few years yet her driving shows no sign of improvement. 

There's a road near us that has a small humpback bridge, with traffic lights and width restricting gates to stop lorries using it as a cut through. I know a woman who lives on that road who drives a BMW X5. Every time she tries to go that way, she edges so slowly through the gates that the lights have changed twice by the time she gets through. Then she expects everyone from the other side to back-up through the gates on their side so she can get through. I think she's more or less given up going that way and now drives about 5 miles around to avoid it. She can't park it either. Needless to say she bought another one when it started getting old. Insane.

Well i don't live in London so i will accept it's very bad as you say. I still don't think it's anything like the majority who bike like maniacs though.