• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Weird Things That Are "Normal"

Recommended Posts

I often think it's absolutedly rank that guys wear a suit to the office and hardly ever (every year or so) get it dry cleaned. I'd wear a pair of jeans about a week before cleaning them. Its bizzare to wear an item of clothes and not actually clean them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I often think it's absolutedly rank that guys wear a suit to the office and hardly ever (every year or so) get it dry cleaned. I'd wear a pair of jeans about a week before cleaning them. Its bizzare to wear an item of clothes and not actually clean them...

 

Nobody was dirty: Intervening in inconspicuous consumption of laundry routines

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1469540513485272?papetoc=&

Quote

Intervening into cleanliness conventions, 31 people in Melbourne were engaged to wear the same pair of jeans for three months without washing them. Transcripts from interviews about their experience were used to draw insights on how individual courses of actions are shaped by collective conventions

 

Summary of above article can be found in The Conversation

 

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be weird or normal dependent upon the circles in which you move.

Foaf changed her kitchen design every year.  New colour so new kettle, toaster, curtains, towels etc.

People's reactions ranged from "that's nice" to "why would you do that?".

In common with the majority here I'm definitely on the "why?" side of that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Sitting in traffic travelling to work everyday. 

Traffic-Jam-UK-Siemens-Chip-Connected-UK-Traffic-Jam-Connected-Smart-Car-Wifi-Connected-Smart-Car-Wifi-Traffic-Jam-2020-UK-Roads-614215.jpg

That's only weird from an earlier perspective.  These days computers mean that decent jobs have become centralised (e.g. bank staff) so you are going to find yourself working in a major city or business park on its outskirts.

Most people don't want to live in a major city so in order to live somewhere nice and have a decent job then you commute.

The old idea that as soon as the tech reached the point where people could work from home with video conferencing for meeting we would all do so is fanciful for most businesses IMO.  Unless you have a very mechanistic role (receive file, process it, forward it on) or you are delivering a product in isolation you need to be in the office most days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Sitting in traffic travelling to work everyday. 

Traffic-Jam-UK-Siemens-Chip-Connected-UK-Traffic-Jam-Connected-Smart-Car-Wifi-Connected-Smart-Car-Wifi-Traffic-Jam-2020-UK-Roads-614215.jpg

Easily half of those people could work from home if their managers allowed it.  The cynic in me says that there is too much money being made from fuel duty for the government to "encourage" wfh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, montecristo said:

Easily half of those people could work from home if their managers allowed it.  The cynic in me says that there is too much money being made from fuel duty for the government to "encourage" wfh.

When they gave out flood warnings here last Monday advising people not to travel the roads were extremely quiet. Who are these people making unnecessary car journeys? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Going on holiday to somewhere interesting and  just sitting by the hotel pool for 7 days. 

I see the logical extension of that in expat world a lot.

They move halfway across the world, and furnish their accommodation with the same flatpack IKEA tat that they could have done at home.

Join a club, to spend your time by the pool with other expats, rather than seeing the sights, mixing with other communities.

Shop only in supermarkets/stores which sell well-known western brands.

Eat out only in western-franchised restaurants.

Part of it is culture shock  - but a big chunk is just the rudeness of a fixed mindset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's only weird from an earlier perspective.  These days computers mean that decent jobs have become centralised (e.g. bank staff) so you are going to find yourself working in a major city or business park on its outskirts.

Most people don't want to live in a major city so in order to live somewhere nice and have a decent job then you commute.

The old idea that as soon as the tech reached the point where people could work from home with video conferencing for meeting we would all do so is fanciful for most businesses IMO.  Unless you have a very mechanistic role (receive file, process it, forward it on) or you are delivering a product in isolation you need to be in the office most days.

For some reason people seem to like driving through congestion, to commute to their office, so they can browse Facebook and do their online shopping, then they go home and do their work emails whilst watching the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

I see the logical extension of that in expat world a lot.

They move halfway across the world, and furnish their accommodation with the same flatpack IKEA tat that they could have done at home.

Join a club, to spend your time by the pool with other expats, rather than seeing the sights, mixing with other communities.

Shop only in supermarkets/stores which sell well-known western brands.

Eat out only in western-franchised restaurants.

Part of it is culture shock  - but a big chunk is just the rudeness of a fixed mindset.

The main drive for a lot of these people IME is to have a warmer climate than Britain.  I don't see it as being rudeness; they are perfectly happy with their existing lives, so want to maintain them, but don't want it to be cold dark and wet for half of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I often think it's absolutedly rank that guys wear a suit to the office and hardly ever (every year or so) get it dry cleaned. I'd wear a pair of jeans about a week before cleaning them. Its bizzare to wear an item of clothes and not actually clean them...

Suits are weird items anyway....like some Universal Body Uniform.

I've been lucky and never had to wear one in my working life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wahoo said:

Suits are weird items anyway....like some Universal Body Uniform.

I've been lucky and never had to wear one in my working life. 

Same here. Only ever worn one once. Wedding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Suits are weird items anyway....like some Universal Body Uniform.

I've been lucky and never had to wear one in my working life. 

Kind of answered it yourself, they're very effective at projecting authority. Particularly as you can never make a cheap one look convincingly like a high end one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

I see the logical extension of that in expat world a lot.

They move halfway across the world, and furnish their accommodation with the same flatpack IKEA tat that they could have done at home.

Join a club, to spend your time by the pool with other expats, rather than seeing the sights, mixing with other communities.

Shop only in supermarkets/stores which sell well-known western brands.

Eat out only in western-franchised restaurants.

Part of it is culture shock  - but a big chunk is just the rudeness of a fixed mindset.

The same could be said for this 3rd worlders who move here. Come here , live in their own communities, set up shops etc. That to my mind is why multiculturalism doesn’t work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Going on holiday to somewhere interesting and  just sitting by the hotel pool for 7 days. 

To a place that has such oppressive heat that, historically, the locals would try to escape to the (cooler) mountains at that time of year.  And then ignore that destination at the bit cooler times of the year that the locals would regard as much nicer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The main drive for a lot of these people IME is to have a warmer climate than Britain.  I don't see it as being rudeness; they are perfectly happy with their existing lives, so want to maintain them, but don't want it to be cold dark and wet for half of the year.

Exactly.  Not to mention the cost of living.  I would happily stack my accommodation with ikea tat if it meant I could retire 10 years early :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's only weird from an earlier perspective.  These days computers mean that decent jobs have become centralised (e.g. bank staff) so you are going to find yourself working in a major city or business park on its outskirts.

Most people don't want to live in a major city so in order to live somewhere nice and have a decent job then you commute.

The old idea that as soon as the tech reached the point where people could work from home with video conferencing for meeting we would all do so is fanciful for most businesses IMO.  Unless you have a very mechanistic role (receive file, process it, forward it on) or you are delivering a product in isolation you need to be in the office most days.

That's not really true. I know loads of people who don't do routine work who work from home. We've just closed our London office, the staff there were given 3 options: redundancy, relocation or home working. It went about 10:10:80. Impact on the business: zero. Money saved? well of rumours are to be believed about £10m pa in rent (they were 'prestigious' offices) and whatever everyone else is saving by not dragging their carcass into work every day.

50 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

I see the logical extension of that in expat world a lot.

They move halfway across the world, and furnish their accommodation with the same flatpack IKEA tat that they could have done at home.

Join a club, to spend your time by the pool with other expats, rather than seeing the sights, mixing with other communities.

Shop only in supermarkets/stores which sell well-known western brands.

Eat out only in western-franchised restaurants.

Part of it is culture shock  - but a big chunk is just the rudeness of a fixed mindset.

Weather and money. The reverse would be weirder: making a huge effort to integrate into a culture that because of your lifestyle and customs sees you as a complete outsider. Who needs that stress?

Edited by Roger_Mellie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I often think it's absolutedly rank that guys wear a suit to the office and hardly ever (every year or so) get it dry cleaned. I'd wear a pair of jeans about a week before cleaning them. Its bizzare to wear an item of clothes and not actually clean them...

Suits are stupid IMPO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.