• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The horror. Foreigner cannot claim the benefits she is entitled to because, err, she doesn’t have a British passport

Posted (edited)

Well I'm sorry for the loss of her young daughter

Info on the Habitual residence test from our friends at the CAB

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/

it seems as an American she can't claim benefits but I guess it would depend on what grounds she lives in the UK. The face that her parents met in Ireland is irrelevant (the Mail throws that in as though it is significant) unless her parents were Irish. If her one of her parents is an EU or EEA national she would be well advised to apply for nationality.

Edited by davidg

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Do you reckon that she has been spending a significant time abroad?   

Well, as ever with the MSM, they tell us very little of any significance, all we know is she is an American citizen (hope she was filing  tax return). The rest is one, great big void. How was she able to live in the UK for so long?

Just now, davidg said:

Well, as ever with the MSM, they tell us very little of any significance, all we know is she is an American citizen (hope she was filing  tax return). The rest is one, great big void. How was she able to live in the UK for so long?

There is also the slight issue of her being full time carer for her EX husband (more bennies).  Why the feck would you look after an ex?  

Just now, One percent said:

There is also the slight issue of her being full time carer for her EX husband (more bennies).  Why the feck would you look after an ex?  

So you don’t have to work simples 

Like the windrush cases this is an example of someone who didn’t bother sorting the paperwork and them whinges when it backfires 

Undocumented Brits get a much harder time in the US 

'Mrs Banks' parents met in Ireland and moved to America for a brief period before bringing their young family to England. The 62-year-old has an American passport.'

Why did she not become a uk citizen? Shed have walked the naturalisation.

Being an american is not an easy task - her passport would expire every 10 years, so shed have been refreshing that.

Shed gave to fill in an irs form every year to declare her earnings. A total pita - i know a person who spent 2 years in the usa. Hes not enetitled to any uk benefits and has to fill his tax form in.

This woman was scamming it both ways - living off uk bennies and keeping us citizenship just in case.

Now tge rules have changed and dss have told her to fuck off.

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

So you don’t have to work simples 

Like the windrush cases this is an example of someone who didn’t bother sorting the paperwork and them whinges when it backfires 

Undocumented Brits get a much harder time in the US 

In America, she would be frogmarched to the airport. Here, we let her stay but just say she is not entitled to the FULL bennies (she is still getting some). 

More than generous. 

You cannot passively remain a us citizen. You need to file taxes yearly.

This woman has defrauded the uk all her life - she lives in a council house.

62 cannot work for some reason.

In tge states shed be marched out instantky.

I suspect that there are lots of kids of G.I. brides in this situation. Mum meets Yank in WW2, marries him, goes to US, has kids, divorces, comes back to the UK in the 50's and the kids have lived here all their lives working and living as Brits.

IMPO I see this more as a sinister anti-white pro immigration agenda here somewhere. I suspect that the pro migrant lot are pulling strings behind this - look, we wil lstart kicking out white people if you start anything against 'us'? Or perhaps they are so emboldened that they have begun to kick us out of our own country? Start with people like this first then move on to the next vulnerable group.

"Mrs Banks, who cannot work due to ill health and is a full time carer for her ex-husband"

So she can't work but was well enough to "care" for her ex-?

36 minutes ago, One percent said:

Do you reckon that she has been spending a significant time abroad?   

Got to be that.  Lived and worked in Birmingham "most" of her life so 57 years (5 - 62) could have spent the last twenty abroad and then come back to care for her  grandaughter and, despite being a US Citizen, expects the UK to fund her.

Half a story.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I suspect that there are lots of kids of G.I. brides in this situation. Mum meets Yank in WW2, marries him, goes to US, has kids, divorces, comes back to the UK in the 50's and the kids have lived here all their lives working and living as Brits.

IMPO I see this more as a sinister anti-white pro immigration agenda here somewhere. I suspect that the pro migrant lot are pulling strings behind this - look, we wil lstart kicking out white people if you start anything against 'us'? Or perhaps they are so emboldened that they have begun to kick us out of our own country? Start with people like this first then move on to the next vulnerable group.

It’s not a colour issue. It’s “are you British yes/no?”  If not, then you are not entitled to benefits. Try rocking up in any other country in the world expecting a handout and you would be sadly disappointed. 

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s not a colour issue. It’s “are you British yes/no?”  If not, then you are not entitled to benefits. Try rocking up in any other country in the world expecting a handout and you would be sadly disappointed. 

That wasn't the point I was making. I think there is a much bigger picture. Hey, I am an Aquarian - we are pretty good at seeing how things will be in the years to come.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

That wasn't the point I was making. I think there is a much bigger picture. Hey, I am an Aquarian - we are pretty good at seeing how things will be in the years to come.

I didn’t think it was tmt. You are right it’s propaganda. We need to counter it though in the very simple terms I outlined. 

They try to obfuscate and confuse the argument. 

35 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I'd have thought that most military folk posted overseas will have lots of conversations about this sort of thing, both with one another and with formal personnel support services.  They'd be the ones that would arrange (or have arranged for them) dual passports, proper paperwork, etc.  

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I'd have thought that most military folk posted overseas will have lots of conversations about this sort of thing, both with one another and with formal personnel support services.  They'd be the ones that would arrange (or have arranged for them) dual passports, proper paperwork, etc.  

Not 60 or 70 years ago.

Posted (edited)

I think there's another potential aspect to this as well.  The UK and American relationship is becoming far less special than it used to be and who knows with affirmative action etc etc who is pulling the strings in Britain in the background.

I'm making no judgement on her own behaviour because as usual the article is seriously challenged in terms of detail.  There might be a good reason (self interest) why she didn't apply for dual nationality as you would expect that to be a no brainer but who knows.

Edited by twocents

Posted (edited)

I failed the HRT in 2010 when, in a moment of madness, I thought about moving back to the UK.

I was born in the UK, schooled there and had British parents and have always held a current British passport.

Boo Hoo to her.

At least I would merrily send a annual Christmas present to the decision maker in my case as I have done rather better to remain abroad.

Edited by Bkkandrew
Missing comma and correcting a wrong tense

15 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I'm not sure about that. It is possible though that the media likes stories like this because a. right wing papers like the Daily Mail can get in a bit of a froth about a white person being excluded when lots of non-whites aren't, and b. lefty papers like the Guardian may want to push the idea that immigration control affects respectable white people (eg, people like their readers) not just Africans on rafts in the med, thus subtly discrediting the idea of immigration control in and of itself. 

16 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There are probably a lot of people born here of British origin who can't prove they are British (no passport, birth certificate etc) who will find this quite disturbing. They would welcome any relaxation of the so called "hostile environment" if only for their own peace of mind.

4 hours ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

There are probably a lot of people born here of British origin who can't prove they are British (no passport, birth certificate etc) who will find this quite disturbing. They would welcome any relaxation of the so called "hostile environment" if only for their own peace of mind.

Why no birth certificate or evidence of where they were born though?

6 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

How has she been paying tax all her life? Surly this would have come up at some point?

I had an interesting conversation with an American I bumped into smoking pot on the side of the canal around here.

He was telling me he had lived here on and off most of his life,  one of his parents was English but he was born in the US. He was saying that the rules had changed quite a lot over the years..  when he first came over he could have pretty much just applied and got citizenship.  He did get a national insurance number and had been working here quite legally for many years.   Then slowly with the march of progress things have tightened up and if he wants to be naturalised he needs to wait 3 years and do a citizenship test.  He had to marry an English girl in order to stay in the mean time.  I think he plans to wait out his citizenship then they are both buggering off to the US again.

I'm not sure how relevant this anecdote is to anything..  but I guess it does explain how someone could have lived and worked here quite legally for many years then fall foul of changing policy.