• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
DocH

Car scraped mine - what should I do?

Yesterday I parked in a B&Q car park. When partner and I came back to the car she pointed out that it had been scraped along one side around the rear door. Not just slightly scraped, but stove in somewhat. Not structural, I think, but irritating, and presumably rust-accelerating. We were there for a very specific purchase, so we know within a 20-minue window when it happened.

Spoke to a B&Q person who was very helpful, and went off to look at the video of the car park area. She warned me in advance that she thought the camera wasn't working and that it was facing the wrong way, but she came back and said that a silver mercedes had pulled in by my car very tightly, and it might have pushed against it but couldn't see whether contact had actually been made, because the camera didn't show that particular area. And she said that the car had immediately reversed out of the space and had driven off without stopping and without the driver getting out - all pretty suspicious.

Although she said she couldn't let me see the video or give me details unless I contacted head office about it, she did actually give me the car registration number of the suspect vehicle.

Can I consult Dosbods' hive mind about this. What should I do? Isn't it an offence to drive away after an accident? (Would this be classed as an accident anyway?).

My car is quite driveable - it's a 2002 Honda Jazz and it does have one or two scuffs already … - , but mainly I am miffed that someone did some damage and then just drove off. And, yes, thet ought to pay to repair it.

Thoughts? (please).

This is all about the hassle:cost ratio.

Get a quote for the repair or decide you can live with it them make a decision. You could go after the guy... Call your insurance and give them his details, but it's going to be a shitload of ballache.

2 minutes ago, DocH said:

Yesterday I parked in a B&Q car park. When partner and I came back to the car she pointed out that it had been scraped along one side around the rear door. Not just slightly scraped, but stove in somewhat. Not structural, I think, but irritating, and presumably rust-accelerating. We were there for a very specific purchase, so we know within a 20-minue window when it happened.

Spoke to a B&Q person who was very helpful, and went off to look at the video of the car park area. She warned me in advance that she thought the camera wasn't working and that it was facing the wrong way, but she came back and said that a silver mercedes had pulled in by my car very tightly, and it might have pushed against it but couldn't see whether contact had actually been made, because the camera didn't show that particular area. And she said that the car had immediately reversed out of the space and had driven off without stopping and without the driver getting out - all pretty suspicious.

Although she said she couldn't let me see the video or give me details unless I contacted head office about it, she did actually give me the car registration number of the suspect vehicle.

Can I consult Dosbods' hive mind about this. What should I do? Isn't it an offence to drive away after an accident? (Would this be classed as an accident anyway?).

My car is quite driveable - it's a 2002 Honda Jazz and it does have one or two scuffs already … - , but mainly I am miffed that someone did some damage and then just drove off. And, yes, thet ought to pay to repair it.

Thoughts? (please).

Report to the police.

I used to have a low wall in front of my old shop. I watched a couple of aged hat wearers drive into it, realise what they had done and drive off.

The police charged them with criminal damage and they were forced to pay compensation to get the wall rebuilt.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Report to the police.

I used to have a low wall in front of my old shop. I watched a couple of aged hat wearers drive into it, realise what they had done and drive off.

The police charged them with criminal damage and they were forced to pay compensation to get the wall rebuilt.

Completely this. Report to the police (and your insurers, clearly no fault in your part) and let them deal with all the paperwork, prosecution etcetera you'll be doing the next person they drive into a favour!

Just now, longtomsilver said:

Completely this. Report to the police (and your insurers, clearly no fault in your part) and let them deal with all the paperwork, prosecution etcetera you'll be doing the next person they drive into a favour!

Proof? 

By the sounds of it this is not open and shut. If there's no clear evidence on the CCTV, how do the police/insurers know the scratch wasn't already there?

Consider your hassle:cost ratio. How much time are you prepared to spend on this? For what reward?

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Proof? 

By the sounds of it this is not open and shut. If there's no clear evidence on the CCTV, how do the police/insurers know the scratch wasn't already there?

Consider your hassle:cost ratio. How much time are you prepared to spend on this? For what reward?

The Merc will have damage.

The police have a duty to investigate.

Report it and forget it. If plod do their job then happy days.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

The Merc will have damage.

The police have a duty to investigate.

Report it and forget it. If plod do their job then happy days.

Have I stepped back into the 1950s:D

Maybe, once upon a time when there were 20 million fewer cars on the road and the police could actually be arsed about stuff like this. They don't even really investigate burglaries.

Seriously... Unless you're prepared to see it through, forget about it. It's going to be a total PITA.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Maybe, once upon a time when there were 20 million fewer cars on the road and the police could actually be arsed about stuff like this. They don't even really investigate burglaries.

Seriously... Unless you're prepared to see it through, forget about it. It's going to be a total PITA.

Fair point.

Perhaps mentioning the Merc had a 'Free Tommy' bumper sticker might help?

If you claim and win, it can still bump up your premium. I ended up dropping a claim and paying Chipsaway to sort it. The insurance company then agreed not to bump up next years premium.

Unless its more than a few £hundred, I wouldn't bother.

Posted (edited)

As you have the reg @DocH you can actually get the registered keeper's address from the DVLA for precisely this reason. How you then pursue is up to you - you could write to them saying you have CCTV and ask them to make good or you will go through insurance, use a solicitor to write to them if you can get it done cheap, or ask your insurance (i wouldn't bother with the latter personally). If they're nearby you could wander past and check the Merc for damage, paint marks from your car, and perhaps take photos.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Edited by The Idiocrat

Find out how much it'll cost to have it repaired.  If it is cheap just pay for it yourself.

Insurance isn't free -- if you claim you'll be paying for it for years.

By all means report them to the police, but don't expect anything to actually happen -- they're too busy catching murderers or something.

1 minute ago, The Idiocrat said:

As you have the reg @DocH you can actually get the registered keeper's address from the DVLA for precisely this reason. How you then pursue is up to you - you could write to them saying you have CCTV and ask them to make good or you will go through insurance, use a solicitor to write to them if you can get it done cheap, or ask your insurance (i wouldn't bother with the latter personally). If they're nearby you could wander past and check the Merc for damage, paint marks from your car, and perhaps take photos.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

That's a reasonable idea -- write, tell them that it'll be £x to fix (include quote) and that it would probably be easiest for everyone if they gave you cash.

I think I'd just touch it up or get repaired as cheaply as possible and move on or would think you'd be looking at private prosecution territory with no guarantee of a win.

We had someone take paint samples from one of our lorries and paid a lab to verify it matched the scrape on his Audi, he parked stupidly blocking a goods entrance, and it still never went anywhere - think we might have threatened criminal damage for taking the paint sample.

Lorries hit a lot of stuff in this country due to cramped road conditions and most time drivers will have no idea, usually with the tail swing, like this Stobart's driver who was just unlucky there was a div with a dashcam behind on the prowl for faux-drama to upload to Youtube. If you look at the backs corners of trailers you will often see a rainbow of scraped on car paint colours.

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I think I'd just touch it up or get repaired as cheaply as possible and move on or would think you'd be looking at private prosecution territory with no guarantee of a win.

We had someone take paint samples from one of our lorries and paid a lab to verify it matched the scrape on his Audi, he parked stupidly blocking a goods entrance, and it still never went anywhere - think we might have threatened criminal damage for taking the paint sample.

Lorries hit a lot of stuff in this country due to cramped road conditions and most time drivers will have no idea, usually with the tail swing, like this Stobart's driver who was just unlucky there was a div with a dashcam behind on the prowl for faux-drama to upload to Youtube. If you look at the backs corners of trailers you will often see a rainbow of scraped on car paint colours.

Ah, so it's OK for your lorries to damage other people's property.

Anyone who is upset about this is a div.

41 minutes ago, DocH said:

Thoughts? (please).

remember to claim for whiplash.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Ah, so it's OK for your lorries to damage other people's property.

Anyone who is upset about this is a div.

They've been blessed with some flakes of my lorry paint for free FFS.

You say it like they're the victims in this.

More seriously there's just been so many false claims by chancers who've pranged their own cars they would all be resisted by default. Had more than a couple go to court only for the claimant to not realise most fleet trucks have had isotrak pinpointing their exact location and movements for donkey's years.

Edited by SNACR

I had something white hit my car while parked on the road outside my home , possibly a bus but couldn't prove one way or the other. I wasn't using it every day so I couldn't even pinpoint when it happened.

I contacted my insurer to report the accident. They arranged with a body shop to get it repaired and the good thing was that it went down as a 'non fault' so I kept my No Claims Bonus. :) Still had to pay the excess for the repairs though.

Posted (edited)

If it was me, I'd immediately consider going after the people,

But then, experience would kick in to remind me that, if I do try and right a wrong, I'd more than likely get nowhere and just end up a little more pissed off with the whole human race and the injustice of it all.

So, what I'd do is clean the area first with water, then with white spirit, let it dry and then put some touch up paint and/or clear laquer on the scratches. I'd leave the dent. Having done that I'd end up a little more pissed off with the whole human race and the injustice of it all.

Life in England, at least, is a zero sum game.

Edited by Hopeful

40 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I had something white hit my car while parked on the road outside my home , possibly a bus but couldn't prove one way or the other. I wasn't using it every day so I couldn't even pinpoint when it happened.

I contacted my insurer to report the accident. They arranged with a body shop to get it repaired and the good thing was that it went down as a 'non fault' so I kept my No Claims Bonus. :) Still had to pay the excess for the repairs though.

And your quote will be a bit higher next year.  And if you go to change insurers you'll have to answer 'yes' to 'have you made any claims in the last 4 years?', and you can politely point out that it was 'non-fault' and they'll politely say they'll make a note of that but not tell you that their quote algorithm won't care.

I don't get insurance in the UK.  The reason for insurance is to cover events that are unlikely but would be cripplingly expensive if they came about -- like house burning down or a bad crash into a Ferrari giving the footballer who was driving whiplash so he couldn't work for 12 months.  I'd just pay for small costs out of cash-flow -- and if I couldn't afford to cover this I wouldn't hold the asset (eg, new car vs older one).  I always go for the highest (reasonable) excess when taking out insurance for this reason.  People these days seem to think that insurance is all about covering all/any costs -- I don't know why.

[I suppose it is a 'I've paid for it and it is there to be used' -- but they'll get their money back, you can be sure.]

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Plod is far too busy these days policing hate crime to bother with actual crime.

Two months back my neighbour had her car broken into and ransacked. Another neighbour caught it all on her new CCTV system, clear as day the guy could be identified.

Plod was called only to tell my neighbour they don't investigate car crime any more and contact the insurance company.:wanker:

OP on a scratched 2002 Honda I wouldn't bother contacting the insurance company, sort it yourself and as for plod forget it.

Edited by JackieO

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Find out how much it'll cost to have it repaired.  If it is cheap just pay for it yourself.

Insurance isn't free -- if you claim you'll be paying for it for years.

By all means report them to the police, but don't expect anything to actually happen -- they're too busy catching murder wrongthinkers or something.

That's a reasonable idea -- write, tell them that it'll be £x to fix (include quote) and that it would probably be easiest for everyone if they gave you cash.

37 minutes ago, dgul said:

And your quote will be a bit higher next year.  And if you go to change insurers you'll have to answer 'yes' to 'have you made any claims in the last 4 years?', and you can politely point out that it was 'non-fault' and they'll politely say they'll make a note of that but not tell you that their quote algorithm won't care.

I don't get insurance in the UK.  The reason for insurance is to cover events that are unlikely but would be cripplingly expensive if they came about -- like house burning down or a bad crash into a Ferrari giving the footballer who was driving whiplash so he couldn't work for 12 months.  I'd just pay for small costs out of cash-flow -- and if I couldn't afford to cover this I wouldn't hold the asset (eg, new car vs older one).  I always go for the highest (reasonable) excess when taking out insurance for this reason.  People these days seem to think that insurance is all about covering all/any costs -- I don't know why.

[I suppose it is a 'I've paid for it and it is there to be used' -- but they'll get their money back, you can be sure.]

Agree with all of that

But I want to chip in that I have found LV to be the exception to car insurers,

As usual the renewal this year came with the blurb that inflation etc can increase premiums and I should look around at other providers for compettove quotes.

The LV premium was again cheaper than last year, and at £260 it was also £400 cheaper than any compettor I tried.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

By all means report them to the police, but don't expect anything to actually happen -- they're too busy catching murderers or something.

If only that were true!

32 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Agree with all of that

But I want to chip in that I have found LV to be the exception to car insurers,

As usual the renewal this year came with the blurb that inflation etc can increase premiums and I should look around at other providers for compettove quotes.

The LV premium was again cheaper than last year, and at £260 it was also £400 cheaper than any compettor I tried.

I switched to LV after somebody said how great they had been at sorting out her car accident.

And she hadn't been with them, she was with the Post Office, the other party were with LV so she switched to them.

I switched from Hastings Direct (who whilst well-priced were absolute clowns twice on administration) for both car and house and after similar trouble with their previous insurers my parents now have their house and both cars with LV!

So that's six policies they have sold on word of mouth.

Companies though, usually those who appoint management consultants with MBAs, often go from great to rubbish in a few short years so I'm not saying I'm with LV forever but will be as long as they keep up their standards.

House insurance £134 up from £128 on current renewal; they'll get another year from me.