DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come.

DurhamBorn

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
leonardratso
2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

B|correected

you need to correct that corrected also. Not that im a pendant or anything, but i am a habitual liar. (or is that a lie?).

Sound Money

I don’t know if you can get Robinhood in the UK but if you can it’s commission free. I use it for small amounts/drip feeding. But I use a full broker for larger amounts and retirement accounts.

leonardratso
4 minutes ago, Sound Money said:

I don’t know if you can get Robinhood in the UK but if you can it’s commission free. I use it for small amounts/drip feeding. But I use a full broker for larger amounts and retirement accounts.

looks like its just american. Might be wrong though.

2 minutes ago, Sound Money said:

This is an option I could use but not open to most here. The problem is it opens up a whole host of other issues :D . I think they are planning to launch in other countries soon* though. There is a UK company/site, freetrade.io or something like that who I recall reading about quite a while ago which plans to offer similar functionality/prices as Robinhood but still haven't launched. So no idea if it will ever come to fruition 

leonardratso
16 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

This is an option I could use but not open to most here. The problem is it opens up a whole host of other issues :D . I think they are planning to launch in other countries soon* though. There is a UK company/site, freetrade.io or something like that who I recall reading about quite a while ago which plans to offer similar functionality/prices as Robinhood but still haven't launched. So no idea if it will ever come to fruition 

ive had some cheapo trading accounts in the past (thing jarvis? or some such, plus a few others but i cant remember their names), bare bones services, crappy web hosts and sites, and usually not really sustainable, most i think shutdown after a few years.

But if robinhood can do it and has been going for a while, then maybe there is a way.

9 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

ive had some cheapo trading accounts in the past (thing jarvis? or some such, plus a few others but i cant remember their names), bare bones services, crappy web hosts and sites, and usually not really sustainable, most i think shutdown after a few years.

But if robinhood can do it and has been going for a while, then maybe there is a way.

Yeah I think you're right. I can't see why a player can't come into the UK market and give it a bit of a shakeup. I've just put my email into freetrade.io and im circa 5000 out of 39000 in the queue. Seems like they're not too far from launching fully and could be ideal for these smaller trades. 

Pricing structure:

https://freetrade.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Pricing.pdf

leonardratso
15 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Yeah I think you're right. I can't see why a player can't come into the UK market and give it a bit of a shakeup. I've just put my email into freetrade.io and im circa 5000 out of 39000 in the queue. Seems like they're not too far from launching fully and could be ideal for these smaller trades. 

Pricing structure:

https://freetrade.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Pricing.pdf

you just put your email address in and 34000 people went in after you? Thats some climb rate if youve just done it.

Green Devil
11 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Did you miss this beauty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44575400

House prices tumble in seaside hot spots

In the boating haven of Salcombe in South Devon, prices have fallen 8.2%, according to the Halifax.

And in Sandbanks in Dorset, renowned for being the UK's most expensive resort, prices are down 5.6%.

If you were cashing in your london bonus etc, would you move to the most overpriced overinflated coastal hotspot?

No i didnt think so. There are other seaside areas, not just bubble central poole and salcombe. :)

Buying a house in Salcombe has, on average, got £52,000 cheaper, while homes in Sandbanks cost £37,000 less than last year.

A typical home in Sandbanks cost £626,553 at the start of 2018, according to the Land Registry.

We can't be far off now, MSCI World now below 50/100/200 daily averages, 10-2 spread almost <30bps (lowest since Aug 07), dollar about to turn lower I reckon (DB spot on about 95/96 as a turning point), if anything to try and mitigate against a stock crash, starting in squeezed $ emerging markets then contagion to US. May see one more hike and done.

7 hours ago, leonardratso said:

you just put your email address in and 34000 people went in after you? Thats some climb rate if youve just done it.

No I came across the company/site a year ago and had obviously put my email address in then. So I assume they've let a few in before me and a few have requested an "invitition" after

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
9 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

Buying individual shares is very risky and/or expensive if you haven't got a lot of money to spread about. You either but a small number of shares and then aren't sufficiently diversified, or kill yourself with fees spreading a small amount of money too thinly to try and be diversified.

Index funds are cheaper and will give you better diversification until you've built up enough of a fund that the fees on a few individual shares won't bother you.

I don't invest less than £1000 in any individual share because otherwise the fee is too high.  Even then I've probably set that too low, and will be raising it in the future.

WHY?

Firstly this post is in NO way having a go at you :Beer: SORRY I just don't agree with you.

I invest £500 per purchase on risky shares - cost to purchase around £11.00 (i also average down 1 or 2 times) These shares have the potential to go 10 baggers or MORE.

Over the last 28 years I've had funds etc...NONE performed better than my risky share portfolio, this was due to having a winner or 2 in my risky share portfolio going up more than 10X.

Let me give you an example, (THIS HAS STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL MY LIFE)

A friend i have known for over 30 years has basically NEVER worked offer than stock market trading.

He got his money by inheriting it, his father made ALL of his fortune on the STOCK market, and his fathers advice was NEVER ever bother with funds, all these dick-head fund mangers do is cream their percentage off YOU!  - THEY DO NOT GIVE a flying F**K how your money grows, all they are interested in is their commission!

11 hours ago, MrXxx said:

3. I am probably going to state the obvious here but whats the point of Gold miners ETF's, especially with the volatility of gold...are you not better just looking at those ETF's to see what the manager is buying/'managing' and doing the same yourself thus without his fee? AND, are gold miner ETF's not pointless as they are just the equivalent of an equity index fund that will give 'vanilla' returns?

Unless your allocating 10s of 1000s to goldies you're not going to be able to diversify enough buying individual miners without getting crucified by fees. Remember its not just your normal dealing fee, but FX fee as well. Realistically you'd not want to be buying less than £2000 a time in forign shares or the fees just eat too much in % terms.

I hold GDX & GDXJ as the bulk of my allocation in this area as its not large enough to allocate to individual shares, I'd end up with 4-5 miners with the risks associated, I feel far more comfortable with the spread the ETFs give me and the management fee is offset by the trading costs. I hold a couple of miners outside as more of a "huge gainz" play with money I'd not cry too much over if they went to nothing.

9 minutes ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

WHY?

Firstly this post is in NO way having a go at you :Beer: SORRY I just don't agree with you.

I invest £500 per purchase on risky shares - cost to purchase around £11.00 (i also average down 1 or 2 times) These shares have the potential to go 10 baggers or MORE.

I haven't seen it mentioned so far but I use iweb @ £5 per trade. Very no frills, but I use HL/investing.com if I need stats.

The lower fee means I can place lower orders, though I would still probably trade at min £500 as it will be a tenner to buy and sell the trade. 

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Unless your allocating 10s of 1000s to goldies you're not going to be able to diversify enough buying individual miners without getting crucified by fees. Remember its not just your normal dealing fee, but FX fee as well. Realistically you'd not want to be buying less than £2000 a time in forign shares or the fees just eat too much in % terms.

I hold GDX & GDXJ as the bulk of my allocation in this area as its not large enough to allocate to individual shares, I'd end up with 4-5 miners with the risks associated, I feel far more comfortable with the spread the ETFs give me and the management fee is offset by the trading costs. I hold a couple of miners outside as more of a "huge gainz" play with money I'd not cry too much over if they went to nothing.

Yes CA, I can see your logic...smooth/reduce the risk across/with the ETF, knowing that you won't get the BIG return of a single miner (or the 'basket' case) with the majority of your capital and then have a 'side bet' on an individual (doing the complete opposite of the former) but with a smaller sum....out of interest for the mathematicians on this site, how does the overall costs (spread, minting charge, storage, platform, charge management charge) of buying physical PM's to ETF (physical) PM's compare?...anyone done the sums?

5 minutes ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

@aflyInteresting & yeah CHEAP dealing service - never heard of them - operated by Halifax Share Dealing, anyone else use them?

http://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/products/our-accounts.asp

if I recall WICAO uses them. I checked them out last night and something to consider is their fx charge at 1.5% and a £25 platform fee. I think bottom line is the majority of these brokers end up costing the same, they all stiff you somewhere.

Freetrade.io and Degiro look like potentials for low value trades if you can't use your brokers regular investment function for that parituclar stock/fund/etf.

Also something worth noting is you can use your brokers regular investment function for single trades. Just set it up then cancel it after the trade. I do this for a couple of etf's each quarter so is only costing me £4 over the year.

8 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

hmm, ill have a look at that

Range much more limited on iweb, especially in comparison to the likes of HL (iweb don't have Sibanye)...but as someone else pointed out (and what is highlighted on the Moneyvator site), they all get your money one way or another, its just finding which one suits your circumstances i.e. <25k vs >25k=% vs fixed fee...few trades (and hold) vs many trades (and dynamic)= low platform/high individual trade cost vs high platform/low (free) trade costs etc...so as always DYOR.

leonardratso
9 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Also something worth noting is you can use your brokers regular investment function for single trades. Just set it up then cancel it after the trade. I do this for a couple of etf's each quarter so is only costing me £4 over the year.

this is your broker speaking, duly noted.

3 minutes ago, MrXxx said:

Range much more limited on iweb, especially in comparison to the likes of HL (iweb don't have Sibanye)...but as someone else pointed out (and what is highlighted on the Moneyvator site), they all get your money one way or another, its just finding which one suits your circumstances i.e. <25k vs >25k=% vs fixed fee...few trades (and hold) vs many trades (and dynamic)= low platform/high individual trade cost vs high platform/low (free) trade costs etc...so as always DYOR.

They do have sibanye. The don't have any of the KIID lacking ETFs though

1501293550_Screenshot2018-06-2809_35_34.thumb.png.f42306af300a6f7a6b7c598b9b017f2b.png

2 minutes ago, afly said:

They do have sibanye. The don't have any of the KIID lacking ETFs though

1501293550_Screenshot2018-06-2809_35_34.thumb.png.f42306af300a6f7a6b7c598b9b017f2b.png

I stand corrected!...as a user of the site afly whats the situation with shares in other currencies?...are all those whose prices quoted in sterling, sterling trades (I noted one of these that had the divi paying in cents), and those in US$, US$ trades (liable to iwebs 1.5% currency exchange?...also, am I correct in believing that iweb doesn't provide/have/allow separate currency accounts (like II), and don't pay ANY interest on funds in the holding cash accounts?...finally, how do you reinvest divis on iweb and what are the costs involved?..Thanks. 

leonardratso
9 minutes ago, MrXxx said:

I stand corrected!...as a user of the site afly whats the situation with shares in other currencies?...are all those whose prices quoted in sterling, sterling trades (I noted one of these that had the divi paying in cents), and those in US$, US$ trades (liable to iwebs 1.5% currency exchange?...also, am I correct in believing that iweb doesn't provide/have/allow separate currency accounts (like II), and don't pay ANY interest on funds in the holding cash accounts?...finally, how do you reinvest divis on iweb and what are the costs involved?..Thanks. 

that screen grab is an exact copy of halifax trading which is also replicated on lloyds share dealing, its obviously all just 1 halifax based system, which to be honest is not bad really.

Archived