DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come.

DurhamBorn

With me its Lego and other toys in demand at xmas. I usually look at the top 10 toy xmas list, make the most of the Argos 3-4-2 and buy 10% discount vouchers for the amount I need through work using my Amex to gain points for airmiles. With the amount of airmiles I earn, it pays for a business class lounge acess/flight (other than taxes) for a holiday each year and/or Hilton points for a few weekend stays. I have gold status with Hilton through manufactured spending (so always get upgraded and free breakfast, lounge access etc) I’ve cost them a lot of money of the years. I also got a Rolex out of clubcard points mainly thanks to this method.

The xmas toy tat I sell Oct/Nov time, the Lego I tend to keep hold of until they retire. If possible I get the UCS or modular sets and store them for a few years. Heres a few links of sets that I have stored away and what they go for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-10179-construction-game-Millennium/dp/B0017V21EY/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1536996544&sr=8-17&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lego+ucs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-4566081-Lego-Corner-10182/dp/B000OTF4CQ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Modular-Green-Grocer-10185/dp/B000WLZC3W

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ashby said:

Love these stories! I never have much luck though with yrs but always go for the cheese if I can. I find it lasts ages after the use by date. Same with the milk in the plastic bottles. Goes for a good 10 days after date before it starts to sour.

Had an awesome summer buying clothes though, on eBay from discount sellers, you know those that sell new clothes from John Lewis, m&s etc with the labels cut so you can’t return. Guess it’s all old season stock. So, It was the peak of summer, 35C early August. I got three wool jackets £20 reduced from 200, wool coat 200 from 800 and a leather and a suede jacket each 150 reduced from 1850. Unbelievable! Best I’ve ever done. It’s risky as you need to know you’re size. Often they get narky with returns.

Bet they thought who’s this muppet buying thick wool coat in stifling 35C heat. Well who’s laughing now :D

One of weekend offers at Lidl today is an 830g Extra Mature 5 for £2.39. I always get that fresh filtered milk because it says it lasts 7 days £1.09 at Aldi/Lidl for 2 ltrs. I'm happy it does last 7 days but any extra depends on how often you open it. A couple of long days out and it might do better.

Re clothes picked up some t-shirts for next summer in the recent sales and already got my eye on some of the new winter offerings but won't buying until the sales next spring. Just had a thought, it might help improve my supply if I move the medium sized ones I like between the XXLs.

13 hours ago, Ponty Mython said:

Yes, got the letter yesterday; lucky we are 100% offset...Currently looking to sell to let, bad moon rising...

Better than me then i owe Natwest £100 still on my mortgage so its going up to £4.25 a year.xD

12 hours ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

VERY NICE!

These types of posts of yours brings tears of LAUGHTER for me!xD

I found doing Tescos on Wednesday seems the best, only because there seems to be less roma-gipos... anyway i must be getting tight or odd or both, cos this last Wednesday I'd already got 5 packets of reduced fish diffrent in me basket, i picked up mackerel that i got b4 for 20p from 2 quid, however this time they only mark it down to 50p and i threw it back in the fridge!

However DB, ya don't want to be shelling out £30 on a freezer when our NGD is in the dumps, have ya tried: https://my.freecycle.org you can pick up stuff here for FREE! 

BUT you must be quick!

Heres another money making scheme that may be of interest to you or other folks following this thread ...last year i helped a friend clear out her house, i gave away some antique looking wooden table legs on freecycle.org, this guy turned up in his van, and what he does is strip them put a table top on re varnish (spraying) and flog each table for £200.00 !

He advertises for FREE on instagram, and does very well. He used to do all the work in his garage, but as hes got so busy hes rents a unit. Really interesting guy, he used to live near me BUT just couldn't handle some of the sh*t scum that lives here now...

SO lets hope that a HUGE housing CRASH happens here in the SE, within the next 4/5 years if NOT ...i'll be relocating to Durham, so DB ya'll have some competition on the YRS's!

RE: metal detector

As SP says: You don't miss a trick do you.!!!

Actually i may get into this!

Can ya spill what sort of moolah YOU can find?:Beer: ...or is it a SECRET :D

It depends what you want it for.If you get to go on farmland you can finds old coins and lots of interesting but worthless things like buckles,buttons etc.If you get lucky you will find hammered coins from medieval times.These can range from being worth £20 to £1000.My area also throws up a lot of Roman stuff.Gold coins are very very rare and iv never found one.

If you are close to a beach they can be very good.If you get up early in the summer and get down there before other people you can pick up a lot of coins £1s £2s 50p etc.I used to go to Seaton Carew and metal detect for sometimes 30 minutes and get enough to buy fish and chips.You can also find other things like rings (they fall of fingers in cold water) chains etc.Phones sometimes pop up regular now,some still work.

My favourite places are anywhere after a music event or country fair,car boot sale etc.The problem is you dont get let on most of those places.Around the site of where the bar was at a big event always throws up lots of money.People drop change as do the staff and due to all the feet it gets pushed down into the grass.If you can get onto one where there has been an event for several years youl find a lot.

35 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

With me its Lego and other toys in demand at xmas. I usually look at the top 10 toy xmas list, make the most of the Argos 3-4-2 and buy 10% discount vouchers for the amount I need through work using my Amex to gain points for airmiles. With the amount of airmiles I earn, it pays for a business class lounge acess/flight (other than taxes) for a holiday each year and/or Hilton points for a few weekend stays. I have gold status with Hilton through manufactured spending (so always get upgraded and free breakfast, lounge access etc) I’ve cost them a lot of money of the years. I also got a Rolex out of clubcard points mainly thanks to this method.

The xmas toy tat I sell Oct/Nov time, the Lego I tend to keep hold of until they retire. If possible I get the UCS or modular sets and store them for a few years. Heres a few links of sets that I have stored away and what they go for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-10179-construction-game-Millennium/dp/B0017V21EY/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1536996544&sr=8-17&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lego+ucs

That's really cool. Earlier in the year, I started my first foray into a gaming collectable. I'm content if it doesn't appreciate as I quite like it myself. Do you get many duffers though?

42 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

I used to work with a woman who went around car boots buying up all the old toys,ones kids could cuddle etc and she used to make a packet selling them on Ebay.She said if a child lost its favourite toy the parent would pay top money to get another the same.She just listed them all and waited until they sold.She used to visit her daughters in Kenya and Canada every year and pay for it from what she made.She also used to buy up Next bedding sets in the sale and list them a year later.She said they went for full price as people replaced damaged ones to match the curtains in the sets.

3 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Better than me then i owe Natwest £100 still on my mortgage so its going up to 

It depends what you want it for.If you get to go on farmland you can finds old coins and lots of interesting but worthless things like buckles,buttons etc.If you get lucky you will find hammered coins from medieval times.These can range from being worth £20 to £1000.My area also throws up a lot of Roman stuff.Gold coins are very very rare and iv never found one.

This has always interested me and it’s an obsession of my daughter, especially the Roman stuff, so I’ve been considering a metal detector. Obviously on farm land a percentage will have to go to the land owner I presume if using their land with permission. My daughters biggest treasure find so far had been an 18th century meat hook from abattoir (I only know that as thats what used to be on the land where my mum and dads house sits) but I’ve had slightly more luck with a antique ladies watch while skiing in the French Alps, which I handed in but went unclaimed. 

19 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

That's really cool. Earlier in the year, I started my first foray into a gaming collectable. I'm content if it doesn't appreciate as I quite like it myself. Do you get many duffers though?

Lego will generally always appreciate after they retire, just some sets more than others. The key is avoiding the temptation to open, as with everything else, it instantly loses value.  

Xmas toys get shot of as early into the xmas buying period as possible. Don’t wait until December, as thats when sellers expect demand to be greatest. In reality the hype of getting something thats out of stock that the dear little one has been hounding them about has died down and the parents have already paid through the nose to get it. Sellers then start competing cutting the prices of tat their desperate to shift.

1 hour ago, Sideysid said:

Lego will generally always appreciate after they retire, just some sets more than others. The key is avoiding the temptation to open, as with everything else, it instantly loses value.  

Xmas toys get shot of as early into the xmas buying period as possible. Don’t wait until December, as thats when sellers expect demand to be greatest. In reality the hype of getting something thats out of stock that the dear little one has been hounding them about has died down and the parents have already paid through the nose to get it. Sellers then start competing cutting the prices of tat their desperate to shift.

I don't think there would be temptation for me to open the lego, especially if it would increase ten fold in value. What's your thoughts on this Harry Potter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-75954-Hogwarts-Wizarding-Building/dp/B0792RDN2V/ref=sr_1_5?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1537005667&sr=1-5&keywords=Harry+Potter+Lego

Perhaps we need a new collectible thread xD

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
Hmm...seems like there's a few scrimpers/tightwads amongst the investors here. good for ya's!

I find I get a better BUZZ out of being frugal ...than drinking few tins of beer:Passusabeer:

I doubt any ones like this cheapskate woman, she takes it to the extreme!...actually I'm not far of her markxD

17 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I notice Natwest SVR went up .25% this week to 4.25%.

Chip, chip, chip.

Yeah. My savings accounts all went up by .25% too. Much to my surprise.

2 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Yeah. My savings accounts all went up by .25% too. Much to my surprise.

now @ 0.35% AER

14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I still do every now and again.

Canny fish and chips when we were there last month - and an opportunity to get a photo of the really rather charming art deco bus-station...

P1020790a.thumb.jpg.4084d369bbc1f7b424e091b16864f822.jpg

XYY

Where are the buses?

38 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Where are the buses?

They pull in quite regular and pretty busy as well.Stagecoach mostly.Cod and chips meal deal with a cup of tea and mushy peas for £3.50 there at Young's chippy.Even though im only 18 miles away i stayed at a B and B there once as was at a wedding on the night.£30 each,cracking breakfast and huge rooms.It was next door to the house where the guy faked his own canoe death for the insurance.If you know where to go in the north you can get stuff dirt cheap.My local boozer is now doing Carling for £2.20 a pint.Every 3rd barrel comes in a white transit van.Proper stuff,just it went down the drain at the brewery,but somehow managed to jump out into a barrel xD.Even the cinemas are down to £5 here and if you have one of those two for one things from comparethemarket £2.50 each.

4 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

They pull in quite regular and pretty busy as well.Stagecoach mostly.Cod and chips meal deal with a cup of tea and mushy peas for £3.50 there at Young's chippy.Even though im only 18 miles away i stayed at a B and B there once as was at a wedding on the night.£30 each,cracking breakfast and huge rooms.It was next door to the house where the guy faked his own canoe death for the insurance.If you know where to go in the north you can get stuff dirt cheap.My local boozer is now doing Carling for £2.20 a pint.Every 3rd barrel comes in a white transit van.Proper stuff,just it went down the drain at the brewery,but somehow managed to jump out into a barrel xD.Even the cinemas are down to £5 here and if you have one of those two for one things from comparethemarket £2.50 each.

To someone who lives down south, the above is crazy talk. I paid £6.20 for a pint the other week (actually worse than that as I got the round in). Needless to say we didn’t stick around for another.

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
28 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

To someone who lives down south, the above is crazy talk. I paid £6.20 for a pint the other week (actually worse than that as I got the round in). Needless to say we didn’t stick around for another.

...for that price I HOPE ya got a grope of the barmaids tits!:Old:

4 minutes ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

...for that price I HOPE ya got a grope of the barmaids tits!:Old:

It was a bloke. I didn’t.

Edit: it was after a Twenty 20 cricket match at Lords. You’re allowed to take in either a bottle of wine or two pints of beer (4 cans is fine). So I took in the standard bottle of wine. They don’t really care so I’d snuck out half way through to buy my two pints of beer (a 4 pack). So in my head it was karma for that. 

But you have to put up with somebody who wants a conversation with you!..bit unnerving, you keep thinking one of three things, 1. The person is a scam artist, 2. They are the local nutcase, or 3 they are a JW...much prefer to pay £5.00 a pint down South where you can sit in a pub for three hours and they will ignore you...especially if you look suicidal and are drowning your sorrows.

3 minutes ago, MrXxx said:

But you have to put up with somebody who wants a conversation with you!..bit unnerving, you keep thinking one of three things, 1. The person is a scam artist, 2. They are the local nutcase, or 3 they are a JW...much prefer to pay £5.00 a pint down South where you can sit in a pub for three hours and they will ignore you...especially if you look suicidal and are drowning your sorrows.

Did you not read my post. £6.20 a pint!

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
4 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Did you not read my post. £6.20 a pint!

where in the fckin heckers are you paying that moolah for a pint? MAYFAIR strip-club? :Jumping:

1 minute ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

where in the fckin heckers are you paying that moolah for a pint? MAYFAIR strip-club? :Jumping:

Do they still exist? Stringfellows is dead. Literally. 

Welcome to London, where it’s “not” cheap

Going back to the universally recognised inflation measure that is the price of a pint. When I worked in a pub as a student over the Summer holidays in 2015, we sold a pint of Fosters for £2.05. This was in Wales by the way.

So you’ve somehow gone back 13 years in time?

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
6 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Do they still exist? Stringfellows is dead. Literally. 

Welcome to London, where it’s “not” cheap

i live 40 mins by train from london, haven't been there for a pint in ages...but i know theres palces that are cheap, just look where the EE's / POLES go!xD

Archived