DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come.

DurhamBorn

14 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Looks a very solid fund that and potential to do very well for anyone not wanting to buy individual miners.My new job monday has a pension,its invested in world trackers ,50% north America,wonder if i can add that fund instead ;)

its 46 pence a unit gone down since i bought it to 44.98 , but ill check it tomorrow morning and see where its at. Income fund, might have an ACC but i couldnt find it,

ocf relatively expensive @ 0.72% and doesnt look like it did too well over the years, maybe maxing out at 2x current NAV, but hey, the times are a changing maybe eh.

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F00000MNWP

Smith & Williamson Global Gold & Resources B Inc

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

its 46 pence a unit gone down since i bought it to 44.98 , but ill check it tomorrow morning and see where its at. Income fund, might have an ACC but i couldnt find it,

ocf relatively expensive @ 0.72% and doesnt look like it did too well over the years, maybe maxing out at 2x current NAV, but hey, the times are a changing maybe eh.

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F00000MNWP

Smith & Williamson Global Gold & Resources B Inc

Only looks like the one fund. They will probably update the NAV price tomorrow. Total costs are 1.03% so a lot better than GDX and GDXJ from what I remember.

2 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Only looks like the one fund. They will probably update the NAV price tomorrow. Total costs are 1.03% so a lot better than GDX and GDXJ from what I remember.

Yes it looks a very nice fund for anyone wanting exposure to the sector without going for individual miners.You could see that as part of a balanced portfolio to provide some insurance.

4 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

aye they update NAV once a day, same as vanguard and fundsmith, i have however found that the windows finance app tends to adjust more often throughout the day usually coming in with a price before my broker does. Theres lots of info here;

https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/ViewFund?Sedol=B3RJHY3 &Name=Smith_&_Williamson_Global_Gold_&_Resources_B_Inc&Isin=GB00B3RJHY30

Have to admit i do like mixing the instruments, funds, shares, bonds etc. Tend to find funds are much cheaper per transaction (buy/sell), downside being that they arent as concentrated and might include a load of crap you dont want, plus an OCF, but hey, cant have everything.

8 hours ago, leonardratso said:

aye they update NAV once a day, same as vanguard and fundsmith, i have however found that the windows finance app tends to adjust more often throughout the day usually coming in with a price before my broker does. Theres lots of info here;

https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/ViewFund?Sedol=B3RJHY3 &Name=Smith_&_Williamson_Global_Gold_&_Resources_B_Inc&Isin=GB00B3RJHY30

Thanks for the recommendation, a good alternative to Blackrock Gold and General. Interestingly was on the HL Wealth 150 until 2015

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/research-and-news/fund-news--and--alerts/smith-and-williamson-global-gold-and-resources-removal-from-the-wealth-150

In other news:

UK banks expect biggest mortgage lending cutback since 2008: Bank of England

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1ML0ZT

LONDON (Reuters) - Increasingly cautious British lenders expect to scale back mortgage lending in the next three months by the greatest extent since the depths of the financial crisis in late 2008, a Bank of England survey showed on Thursday.

10 hours ago, Thorn said:

and realised it wasn’t for the VUKE and CIND and VUSA I wouldn’t be down 3%. 

Arguably, the likes of these form part of a balanced portfolio.  My SIPP is for my essential retirement expenses and is long term in nature so I personally would be slow to liquidate, at least totally, my holdings. 

Normally I would look to temporary options, etc to hedge the holding if things looked quite bad (do they, technically?) rather than sell but that's a bit complex so thought pm metal, not stocks, may be an alternative, as a beaten down asset class, but one that could go lower.  At least options are meant to have more certainty, to a point.  And if I sell, when do I buy back and how good a timer am I?

But there may become a time when I'm all out!  Each person has their own red lines.  Fair dues, no-ones right or wrong.  More just detail.

As for FTSE high divs in my HYP, but only the really good ones if you know how maybe to find them, the question is how much more could they fall if things do go bad.  But hard to resist right now so maybe a matched pairing with pm metals. 

Admiral's point about BT is really great 'cause I like to look for such stock in a market downdraught as a sign of resiliance.  The old Buffet swimming naked idea.

Pm shares fine, but only in my trading account which itself is just one part of my overall portfolio.  It's all about allocations, balance, risk reward, and not betting the farm.

Apologies if this is all obvious to some but a casual reader may do something silly.  Even when trading, money management tells you to limit a % of total fund value to any one trade.  It's the price for being able to stay in the game.

At least that's the sort of thing most books seem to say!

9 hours ago, leonardratso said:

well, no one expressed any interest in my fund the other day;

SEDOL: B3RJHY3 | ISIN: GB00B3RJHY30 | MEX: SWRESO | CITI: A1GE o

just been checking the top 10 holdings, hahevent had chance to go thru them all, but todays rises in top 10 look like 5% to nearly 8%, course doesnt mean the other holdings havent negated it, but good start.

image.png.50da3c1ee66ee8675d8765fabf7b757b.png

I like the inclusion of B2Gold, it seems to be flying under the radar a little bit but I'd probably be on it if I didn't have so much fun with WDO.

BTG have just released their Q3 production numbers and they are yuuuge.

http://www.b2gold.com/news/index.php?content_id=679

9 hours ago, leonardratso said:

Have to admit i do like mixing the instruments, funds, shares, bonds etc. Tend to find funds are much cheaper per transaction (buy/sell), downside being that they arent as concentrated and might include a load of crap you dont want, plus an OCF, but hey, cant have everything.

Yep, all so true in my experience.  A bit of everthing.  Horses for courses and all that.  Like a certain UK high div ETF with the likes of the AA, stock which had lost loads and maybe not something I would have rushed to buy.  Sometimes I wondered if the overall ETF div was just coming out of capital!  So moving more to single equities for my HYP.  ETFs, funds and trusts elsewhere though.

TBH, I wonder if I only have a trading account to vent my deamons and keep the rest safe!  Also reckon my wife would be better at investing, if only she had the interest.  At the risk of sexism, the ladies seem to have a better temperament for it.  Prof Patterson in 12 Rules For Life highlighted a few.  Respect to the ladies!

10 hours ago, leonardratso said:

just been checking the top 10 holdings, hahevent had chance to go thru them all, but todays rises in top 10 look like 5% to nearly 8%, course doesnt mean the other holdings havent negated it, but good start.

Defo worth a look for me to add to my trading watch list.  Never liked the GDX holdings.  These seem better.  I'll need to check liquidity, spreads, AUM, costs, holdings, strategy, tracking, small print, etc.  Not a small job!

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Arguably, the likes of these form part of a balanced portfolio.  My SIPP is for my essential retirement expenses and is long term in nature so I personally would be slow to liquidate, at least totally, my holdings. 

Normally I would look to temporary options, etc to hedge the holding if things looked quite bad (do they, technically?) rather than sell but that's a bit complex so thought pm metal, not stocks, may be an alternative, as a beaten down asset class, but one that could go lower.  At least options are meant to have more certainty, to a point.  And if I sell, when do I buy back and how good a timer am I?

But there may become a time when I'm all out!  Each person has their own red lines.  Fair dues, no-ones right or wrong.  More just detail.

As for FTSE high divs in my HYP, but only the really good ones if you know how maybe to find them, the question is how much more could they fall if things do go bad.  But hard to resist right now so maybe a matched pairing with pm metals. 

Admiral's point about BT is really great 'cause I like to look for such stock in a market downdraught as a sign of resiliance.  The old Buffet swimming naked idea.

Pm shares fine, but only in my trading account which itself is just one part of my overall portfolio.  It's all about allocations, balance, risk reward, and not betting the farm.

Apologies if this is all obvious to some but a casual reader may do something silly.  Even when trading, money management tells you to limit a % of total fund value to any one trade.  It's the price for being able to stay in the game.

At least that's the sort of thing most books seem to say!

Yes and very true a balance is always needed and its why a lot of retail investors get cleaned out.When im at the reduced counter at Tesco and i hear the two guys doing the reductions talking about buying crypto's with their wages and that they were going to use the money "when it trebled" to use as a deposit on a house you know there are problems.That conversation was regular right at the time before the crypto's collapsed.Never heard them mention anything since so probably lost their capital.Its always sad when lower paid people try to chase fast returns.I can really understand why they do it because compounding a few thousand at 8% over the years has no meaning to them.Its the reason im starting work on monday.I have my full allocation in the miners and PMs now,but fancied some more.I wouldnt go past my own rules on allocation as a % of my portfolio,so i decided id do perhaps a years work and put that in as well.Im quite prepared to see a years labour go up in smoke if need be,but not prepared to go over the limit in my "already there" portfolio.If the PMs happened to run before i did this id simply leave in cash until the market came down.

Very hard game investing.

Very excited today.  Just about ready with my new trading system.  What a perfect time to go live!  Backtested with acceptable drawdowns, capital allocations and risk management sorted, buy signals good, sells need a bit more polish.  As does the mindset.  Thought I'd first run it through the FTSE div players for some buy signals.  Did something similar in March and bought then and here we are again!  

23 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Yes and very true a balance is always needed and its why a lot of retail investors get cleaned out.When im at the reduced counter at Tesco and i hear the two guys doing the reductions talking about buying crypto's with their wages and that they were going to use the money "when it trebled" to use as a deposit on a house you know there are problems.That conversation was regular right at the time before the crypto's collapsed.Never heard them mention anything since so probably lost their capital.Its always sad when lower paid people try to chase fast returns.I can really understand why they do it because compounding a few thousand at 8% over the years has no meaning to them.Its the reason im starting work on monday.I have my full allocation in the miners and PMs now,but fancied some more.I wouldnt go past my own rules on allocation as a % of my portfolio,so i decided id do perhaps a years work and put that in as well.Im quite prepared to see a years labour go up in smoke if need be,but not prepared to go over the limit in my "already there" portfolio.If the PMs happened to run before i did this id simply leave in cash until the market came down.

Very hard game investing.

That's one of the things I really like about you - you look at the whole, even if you may get specific at times. 

That piece about going back to work as a form of risk mitigation is a classic.  You know your limits and think out the box to progress.  You don't double down and risk it all but you create a bigger universe.  An absolute classic!

Investing is a hard but beautiful game.  It really challenges who you are and what you want to be and can make you a far better person because it will make you look into your soul at times.

I've met too many former wanabee traders who won't ever go near the game again having lost it all.  So sad that with a bit of training and support they could still be in the game and doing all right.  That is, if they fancy the game, as it really is, rather than what they imagine.  

16 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

ID? Not needed if you buy online. I pay by BACS and have them delivered to my work from coininvest.

brilliant thanks so much !

11 hours ago, leonardratso said:

Hi Leonardratso,

is this a fund you set up yourself or purchased through an investment service ? I'm trying hard to get up to speed with it all but still I find learning Mandarin easier !

My worry is I know a few people who suffered heavy losses spread betting ... so I've been looking at setting up a fund through say Hargreaves Lansdown,  if you set up a fund how do you ensure that if you lose you just lose the money you put in and not end up having to pay back losses ?

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
11 hours ago, leonardratso said:

@leonardratso  thanks for posting this one, just a quick question, looking at the HL info:

it states that commodities / miners are only 5.22% of total fund is that correct?

AND you have the majority of the fund in International Equities 82.36%

OR am i missing something?

Can you or someone here kindly let me know...

CHEERS!

BTW, I getting ready on me clapped-out sewing machine to make a BLACK-ARM-BAND in readiness for new gold going to a new low, do ya want me to make you one for you as well?xD

1 minute ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

@leonardratso  thanks for posting this one, just a quick question, looking at the HL info:

it states that commodities / miners are only 5.22% of total fund is that correct?

AND you have the majority of the fund in International Equities 82.36%

OR am i missing something?

Can you or someone here kindly let me know...

CHEERS!

BTW, I getting ready on me clapped-out sewing machine to make a BLACK-ARM-BAND in readiness for new gold going to a new low, do ya want me to make you one for you as well?xD

The commodities portion is in bullion. The equities is in the miners

4 minutes ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

Morning Star has 5.25% in 'Gold Bullion Securities ETC' which gives you the 'commodities' listed on HL and 86.72% in Stock, which will be the various miners, streamers etc. http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F00000MNWP

Not looked at it on HL but I assume there will be links there to the full documentation for the fund which will give you the complete breakdown of components... much better than relying on HL or anyone elses summery.

Archived