DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come.

DurhamBorn

Bricks & Mortar
15 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Just need a sniff of inflation now in the US.

The April US Consumer Price Index is due on Friday, May 10 at 12:30 GMT.

The Producer Price Index is due tommorrow, also at 12:
30 GMT

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh, it's now got interesting at long last!!!

Looking at the weekly technicals for my FTSE100 high yield portfolio, the shares are either still in a developing downtrend or there are no buy signals yet for those that are at the bottom.

But....I have initial buy signals for my canary FTSE short ETFs. I'm expecting a confirmation at the close this week. We'll see.  Same for the VIX.

Maybe it's the time next week to implement my hedging (booster) strategy at long last.  Wish the Brexit joker card was not in play though but maybe just a blip if it happens.

BTC done very well YTD and PMs and miners look like they may turn up soon (but steady, just had a fake buy signal).

TBH DXY looks a bit rudderless ATM, save for being at the top of the momentum band for a while now.  Could start correcting here or continue up.  Wait and see.

Anyways, nice to see some action.

StrugglingMillennial
18 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

At $5000 Harmony would 30+ bag i expect.Gold miners tend to x3 the gold price over the short/medium term.In a real full on gold bull though people start to price the oz in the ground.Once that happens the high resource/high cost miners start to shine.We are now in the window where i expect we will see a bottom.It could be in or we could get one more up down,but i expect we will start to trend soon.Just need a sniff of inflation now in the US.

So will physical gold/silver catch up with mining shares when the bull slows or do you think there will be a gap for a few years to come?

How do you buy Harmony shares, ive been searching around and im getting the impression its an international stock which i have no knowledge of buying.

On 06/05/2019 at 19:59, StrugglingMillennial said:

To be honest i never knew at the time that you had to purge them, if i come across them again i will definately have a second go at cooking them.

We should start eating more of them, theyre an invasive species and a pain.

You do need a license.

EA worry about people eating natives, whih are protected and rare.

http://www.boxvalley.co.uk/nature/fiss/General/crayfish.asp

Spread of signal is insane. Apparenyly they were only introduced in the 70s.

4 tonnes in one summer ffs

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/678461/Fortune-catching-alien-mini-lobsters-selling

16 minutes ago, StrugglingMillennial said:

So will physical gold/silver catch up with mining shares when the bull slows or do you think there will be a gap for a few years to come?

How do you buy Harmony shares, ive been searching around and im getting the impression its an international stock which i have no knowledge of buying.

Think mining shares are just much more elastic than pm themselves?  So a lot more variance and swings (up hopefully!

Bricormortis
13 hours ago, StrugglingMillennial said:

Open a Hargreaves lansdown isa.

Shold be straight forward to buy on that platform or use the phone service if in difficulty.

It's a south African comany. 

Do research it including 5yr performance etc. Eggs in one basket is dodgy.

leonardratso

cna is making gold and miners looked sound and stable.

ex divi today.

sancho panza
On 08/05/2019 at 10:13, kibuc said:

Indeed, Harmony and Endeavour will probably be my main picks for the huge bull run in gold and silver, respectively. Good size, production focused on their primary metal, and barely breaking even at today's prices. If feel that smaller price movements tend to favour small producers and explorers, as that extra $100/oz can be a difference between dilluting or not to stay afloat/continue drilling. That's just a very quick observation though, not much diligence behind it.

Forgive my ignorance,but I presume you talking Endeavour Silver not Endeavour mining?

https://uk.investing.com/equities/endeavour-silver

https://uk.investing.com/equities/endeavour-mining-corp-company-profile

sancho panza
13 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

cna is making gold and miners looked sound and stable.

ex divi today.

We're taking scrip as divi .

I thought we were ok when I bought the first tranche at 50% off peak.They're either a complete bargain or Northern Rock.

sancho panza

A collection of the ever excellent Wolf St.Credit inflation looks like yesteryears problem.Intersting to see the following from Shaun Richards yesterday

https://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com/2019/05/08/why-i-now-fear-a-sharp-slowing-of-the-us-economy-later-this-year/

Why I now fear a sharp slowing of the US economy later this year

Money Supply

This has worked as a reliable leading indicator over the past couple of years or so and this caught my eye. The narrow measure of the money supply or M1 in the United States saw a fall of just over forty billion dollars in March. That catches the eye because it does not fit at all with an economy growing at an annual rate of 3.2%. Indeed we see now that over the three months to March M1 money supply contracted by 2.7%. That means that the annual rate of growth has been reduced to 1.9%. Thus we see that it has fallen below the rate of economic growth recorded which is a clear warning sign. Indeed a warning sign which has worked very well elsewhere.

Vancouver declining transactions on declining prices............

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/05/06/housing-bust-in-vancouver-steepens-bank-of-canada-sees-froth-coming-off/

Across Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, sales of all types of homes so far this year through April plunged to 6,212 homes, the lowest count since 1986, as the market is freezing up

In the city of Vancouver, condo sales – the largest segment of the market – plunged 30% in April from April last year, to merely 348 condos, the lowest since 2001, even as inventory for sale jumped by 75% to 2,191 condos. At the current rate of sales, supply soared by 168% year-over-year to 6.4 months.

And prices are descending at speeding-ticket velocities:

• Average price: -19% year-over-year to C$786,981
  • Median price: -17% year-over-year to C$651,000
  • Average price per square foot: -14% yoy to $940.

Australia,declining prices on increasing supply,abscence of IR rises.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/05/05/the-wolf-street-report/

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/05/02/update-on-the-less-splendid-housing-bubbles-crushed-markets-in-america/

On one side, there are “The Most Splendid Housing Bubbles in America” – the San Francisco Bay Area, the metros of Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Boston, New York, and others – where home prices have blown past the crazy highs during Housing Bubble 1, which imploded so spectacularly. On the other side are markets where home prices have not yet reached their splendid levels of Housing Bubble 1, or never experienced Housing Bubble 1 to begin with. And this is the other side:

US-Housing-2Case-Shiller-Miami-2019-04-30.png

US-Housing-2Case-Shiller-Phoenix-2019-04-30.png

US-Housing-2Case-Shiller-Las-Vegas-2019-04-30.png

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/04/30/the-most-splendid-housing-bubbles-in-america-april-update/

Condo prices fall year-over-year in New York. In San Francisco, SoCal, & Seattle, year-over-year price gains shrink to nearly nothing. Despite the hype, Boston prices decline. Denver, Dallas & Atlanta eke out records. 

After seven months in a row of month-to-month declines, prices of single-family houses in the Seattle metro ticked up 0.57% in February and are now down 5.4% from the peak in June last year, according to the CoreLogic Case-Shiller Home Price Index released this morning.

sancho panza
11 minutes ago, DoINeedOne said:

@sancho panza Welcome back thought we lost you somewhere

Thank you.Just had to take a break.Was busy with my own research and was struggling to cope with a couple of newbies coming on for the free advice from you all,then taking umbrage when it wasn't 100% correct.As we always say DYOR.

44 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Forgive my ignorance,but I presume you talking Endeavour Silver not Endeavour mining?

https://uk.investing.com/equities/endeavour-silver

https://uk.investing.com/equities/endeavour-mining-corp-company-profile

Yes, Endeavour Silver. I forgot it could be confused with the other one, my bad.

They had a very difficult 1q, with issues at some of their mines causing production to drop by 1/4th and AISC to increase by 1/3rd, to mind-boggling U$19.37/oz. They got immediately downgraded across the board and I think the market is still trying to price that all in, so it might dip lower. However, so far I have no reason to believe that the operating challenges won't be overcome and turn into a chronic disease. Once they are priced as a $19/oz AISC miner in a $15/oz spot price environment, their share price should become extremely sensitive both to increases in silver price and to improvements to their operations and, by extensions, AISC. I think I'll start averaging into it this week. I've decided to cut my losses on INFA after a disastrous (from my perspecitve! no everyone agrees) shareholders meeting yesterday so I've got some money to allocate again.

DoINeedOne

I know it went Ex-div today but never thought it would drop that low

(CNA.LN)

96.080 -8.920 (-8.50%)

Still all just part of my learning 

Don Coglione
15 minutes ago, kibuc said:

I've decided to cut my losses on INFA after a disastrous (from my perspecitve! no everyone agrees) shareholders meeting yesterday so I've got some money to allocate again.

I share your concerns re INFA, surely the pushing back of FID to an unspecified date necessitates an RNS? AIM is pretty loose, but still...

I am still in the blue (just), so will hold on for now but oh to have pressed the "sell" button at 2p...

sancho panza

Hussman-Why a 60-65% Market Loss Would Be Run-Of-The-Mill

https://www.hussmanfunds.com/comment/mc190503/

From September 3, 1929 to July 8, 1932, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by -89.2%, though certainly not in one fell-swoop. In fact, the decline known as the “1929 Crash” took the Dow down by an initial -47.9%, setting a trough on November 13, 1929. That initial decline was followed by a 48.0% recovery that peaked on April 17, 1930, leaving the Dow still -22.9% below its bull market high, because that’s how compounding works. By the 1932 low, the Dow had plunged -86.0% below its April 1930 peak, and -79.3% below even the “bottom” it set in November 1929 after losing nearly half of its value.

One might view the very comparison of present stock market conditions to 1929 market peak as exaggerated and preposterous, but then, one would be wrong. The fact is that on the valuation measures we find most strongly correlated with actual subsequent long-term and full-cycle market returns across history (and even in recent decades), current market valuations match or exceed those observed at the 1929 peak.

Likewise, valuations for nearly every decile of stocks presently exceed those observed at the 2000 market peak. As we’ll see below, the extreme valuation of capitalization-weighted indices like the S&P 500 at the 2000 peak was driven by single decile of stocks, largely represented by large-cap technology stocks that collapsed by -83% during the subsequent bear market. At present, every decile of stocks, without exception, is sufficiently overvalued to allow market losses on the order of -59% to -71%, without even breaching their respective valuation norms.

Still, as we’ll also discuss, the behavior of market internals continues to suggest that investors have a speculative bit in their teeth, though tenuously enough that it could drop out on even a few sessions of weak or divergent market action. Still, we try to align with prevailing internals rather than forecasting shifts, so despite the likelihood of absurdly steep market losses over the completion of this cycle, our very near-term outlook is rather neutral, and will remain so until we observe broader divergence and fresh deterioration in our measures of internals.

Why a 60-65% market loss would be run-of-the-mill

We begin with the Hussman Margin-Adjusted P/E (MAPE), which is among the most reliable valuation measures we’ve tested in market cycles across history, based on its correlation with full-cycle and 10-12 year market returns. The MAPE is second in reliability only to MarketCap/GVA – the ratio of nonfinancial market capitalization to nonfinancial corporate gross value-added (including estimated foreign revenues). Both measures essentially act as broad, apples-to-apples market price/revenue ratios, and significantly outperform popular earnings-based measures like price/forward operating earnings, the Fed Model, and the Shiller P/E. While both are at similar extremes, the MAPE has a longer data history, which allows direct comparison with 1929 valuation levels.

Hussman Margin-Adjusted P/E - May 2018

One might imagine that valuation levels might have simply “shifted higher” in recent decades, but that would miss the fact that associated subsequent returns have also “shifted lower” in recent decades, leaving the mapping between valuations and subsequent returns unaffected.

Of course, the historical record also includes a few temporary “errors,” because the only way to reach breathtaking overvaluation or undervaluation at the end of a market cycle is for actual returns to temporarily exceed or fall short of what valuations would have normally projected. These temporary “errors” are a hallmark of bubble peaks as well as secular valuation troughs. See, for example, expected 12-year returns versus actual subsequent 12-year returns in 1988 and 1995, corresponding to horizons ending in 2000 and 2007.

The potential for speculation or risk-aversion to produce temporary valuation extremes is exactly why we have to attend to market internals, in order to gauge the shorter-term inclinations of investors toward speculation or risk-aversion.

Hussman Margin-Adjusted P/E and subsequent S&P 500 returns

Notably, current market valuations exceed both the 1929 and 2000 extremes. Not surprisingly, we estimate negative returns for the S&P 500 Index over the coming 10-12 year period, as valuations suggested in 1929, and as we projected in real-time in 2000.

Meanwhile, given the depressed yields on long-term bonds, our estimate for 12-year total returns on a conventional asset mix (60% stocks, 30% Treasury bonds, 10% T-bills) has collapsed to just 0.8% annually. This is lower than any point in history except a 6-week period surrounding the 1929 market top, a 3-week period surrounding the January 2018 pre-correction market peak, and a 6-week period surrounding the September 2018 pre-correction market peak.

If there is any good news at all on the valuation front, it is that while the S&P 500 Index is about 2% above its January 26, 2018 high, the MAPE is presently about 2% below the level observed in early 2018, largely because underlying fundamentals have grown. Still, it would take well over two decades, holding the S&P 500 unchanged, for valuations to reach historically run-of-the-mill levels on the basis of growth in fundamentals alone. Sustaining that kind of “permanently high plateau” would require the absence of even a single episode of severe risk-aversion among investors during that time frame.

It’s worth remembering that except for the 2000-2002 bear market, which ended at valuations that were still about 25% above historical norms, every other bear market decline in history, including the 2007-2009 decline, has taken reliable valuation measures to historical norms that presently stand between -60% and -65% below present market levels.

Valuations and bear market losses

We can understand the 89% collapse of the stock market between 1929 and 1932 as the combination of two losses – one predictable, one cataclysmic – each representing a loss of two-thirds of the market’s value. The first loss was a rather standard, run-of-the-mill retreat in market valuations from the 1929 extremes to levels that have historically been observed by the end of nearly every market cycle in history. Yes, a two-thirds market loss seems severe, but in the context of 1929 valuation extremes, it was also fairly pedestrian. The first two-thirds loss merely brought valuations to ordinary historical norms.

The problem was that additional policy mistakes contributed to a Depression that wiped out yet another two-thirds of the market’s remaining value. The combination, of course, is how one gets an 89% market loss. Lose two thirds of your money, and then lose two thirds of what’s left. It’s that stepwise loss – one predictable, and one cataclysmic, that Edwin LeFevre described shortly after the collapse:

The reason why the stock market must necessarily remain the same is that speculators don’t change; they can’t. Shrewd business men who wouldn’t sell absurdly overpriced securities would not buy, two years later, underpriced stocks and bonds. The same blindness to actual values was there, only that while the heavy black bandage was greed in the bull market, it was fear in the bear market. Reckless fools lost first because they deserved to lose, and careful wise men lost later because a world-wide earthquake doesn’t ask for personal references. Everybody who looked for easy money in 1928 or 1929 lost both dreams and cash in 1929 or 1930. In 1931 nobody was spared.

– Edwin LeFevre, Vanished Billions

So while present valuations slightly exceed the 1929 extreme, we certainly don’t expect anywhere near the market loss that unfolded during the Depression. Rather, my expectation of a 60-65% market loss over the completion of this cycle assumes that reliable valuation measures will simply revisit their historical norms, rather than breaking below them as they have in most bear markets, including the 2007-2009 decline, and dramatically in the 1929-1932 period.

An important aspect of current valuation extremes is that they are far broader than what was observed even at the 2000 market peak. The chart below shows the median price/revenue ratio of S&P 500 component stocks, in data going back to 1986. Strikingly, the current multiple is far beyond what was observed at the 2000 peak.

Median Price/Revenue Ratio of S&P 500 Components

We can put this data since 1986 into a far broader historical perspective by overlaying the median price/revenue ratio on the Hussman Margin-Adjusted P/E. It is immediately apparent is that the 2000 bubble peak was unusual, in the sense that median valuations were far less extreme than the valuation of the overall S&P 500 index. Another feature that should be apparent is that median valuations today are just as extreme as the valuation of the overall index, representing the broadest equity market bubble in history.

S&P 500 Median Price/Revenue Ratio and Hussman Margin-Adjusted P/E

To understand how current median valuations could presently be so much higher than those at the 2000 extreme, it’s important to recognize how skewed the composition of valuations became during the tech bubble. The chart below divides S&P 500 stocks into 10 deciles at each point in time, and shows the median price/revenue ratio of each decile – thanks to Russell Jackson, our resident math guru, for compiling this data. The extreme “market” valuations that investors observed at the 2000 bubble top were largely driven by just 10% of stocks, generally representing large-capitalization glamour technology stocks. Yet even at the top, valuations were only moderately elevated for about half of the stocks in the S&P 500.

S&P 500 Median Price/Revenue by Decile

The next chart shows the same data on a log scale, so the relative valuation of each decile can be seen more clearly. Notice something. With the exception of stocks in the very highest valuation decile, every other decile is more overvalued today than it was at the 2000 market peak.

S&P 500 Median Price/Revenue Ratio by Decile - Log scale

What’s equally notable is that just as the overall valuation level of the market provides a useful estimate of likely full-cycle market losses, the valuation level of each individual decile, relative to its own respective norm, provides a similarly useful estimate of prospective full-cycle losses in each group.

On March 7, 2000, I observed, “Over time, price/revenue ratios come back in line. Currently, that would require an 83% plunge in tech stocks (recall the 1969-70 tech massacre). The plunge may be muted to about 65% given several years of revenue growth. If you understand values and market history, you know we’re not joking.” As it happened, the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 would go on to lose an improbably precise -83% by the October 2002 market low.

Yet even at the 2000 peak, the median valuations of other groups were nowhere near the extremes we observed in the tech sector. In fact, half of the valuation deciles were within 40% of their historical norms, implying full cycle losses of only about -30%. That’s important, because at present valuations, every one of these deciles would have to retreat by -59% and -71% simply to reach run-of-the-mill valuation norms.

For each decile, the chart below shows the median loss for stocks in each group over the subsequent 30-month period. Clearly, we won’t have complete data for the current point in time for another two and half years, but we should not be surprised if losses from today’s valuations look much like they looked following the 2007 peak. It’s also interesting to notice -83% plunge in that purple line in the 30 months that followed the 2000 peak. That’s what breathtaking valuations will do for you over the complete cycle.

S&P 500 Median 30-Month Drawdown Losses by Price/Revenue Ratio Decile

Except for the 2000-2002 bear market, which ended at valuations that were still about 25% above historical norms, every other bear market decline in history, including the 2007-2009 decline, has taken reliable valuation measures to historical norms that presently stand between -60% and -65% below present market levels. The primary importance of internals here is to discourage fighting the market with a hard-negative near-term outlook until speculative psychology again shifts toward risk-aversion.

As a final note on valuations, it’s important to understand that because corporate earnings are more volatile than stock prices themselves, the price/earnings ratio of the S&P 500 is dramatically affected by the position of the economy in the economic cycle. When earnings are depressed, even very high price/earnings ratios can actually be associated with very high expected market returns. On the other hand, investors are regularly misled at bull market peaks by the fact that P/E ratios are often “well below historical extremes” at those points. The error comes in applying an elevated P/E ratio to already elevated (sometimes record) earnings. Historically, this has been a recipe for disaster.

To illustrate what “extreme” P/E multiples typically look like once an economic expansion is already mature, the following chart shows the highest P/E ratio of the S&P 500 in the final 4 quarters of a U.S. economic expansion. The chart concept is from the brilliant team at Crescat Capital.

Notice something. Even on the basis of record reported GAAP earnings, the current P/E multiple of the S&P 500 exceeds the P/E observed at the 1929 peak, and at every other market extreme other than 2000 – including the 1987 peak, which was not associated with a subsequent recession. As we’ve seen, the 2000 peak was higher only because of hypervaluation in a single decile of stocks that went on to lose -83% of their value in the subsequent bear market.

S&P 500 Highest P/E Within 12-Months of Recession

Nibbling the speculative bit

Our near-term market outlook remains fairly neutral at the moment, rather than hard-negative. Given present valuation extremes, I continue to believe that a rather pedestrian, run-of-the-mill completion of the current market cycle would involve a loss in the S&P 500 of about two-thirds of the market’s value. Put another way, the S&P 500 is essentially a claim to a long-term stream of cash flows that investors can expect to be delivered into their hands over time. In order for those long-term cash flows to produce historically run-of-the-mill expected returns for investors, we presently estimate that the S&P 500 would have to trade at roughly the 1100 level, about -63% below its present extremes.

The singular reason for not pounding the table about immediate market losses is that, at the moment, our measures of market internals are sufficiently uniform to indicate an inclination of investors toward speculation (when investors are inclined toward speculation, they tend to be indiscriminate about it). We try to avoid forecasts of when those measures will shift, being instead content to align our views with prevailing conditions as they change over time.

Still, it’s important to observe that the “internal uniformity” we identify in day-to-day market action is as tenuous as it gets. Indeed, half of all individual U.S. stocks remain below their respective 200-day moving averages, and neither the NYSE Composite, the Russell 2000 Index, the Value Line Composite or even the S&P 500 equal-weighted indices confirmed the recent high in the S&P 500 by advancing beyond their September 2018 peaks. From that perspective, the current rally resembles similarly unconfirmed late-stage advances we observed in 2000, 2007, and that also characterized the 1929 peak:

The 1929 boom was, in fact, quite a narrow and selective one. It was a boom of the handful of stocks that figured in the daily calculation of the Down Jones and New York Times indices, and that was why those well-publicized indices were at record highs. It was also a boom of the most actively traded stocks bearing the names of the most celebrated companies, the stocks mentioned daily by the newspapers and millions of times daily by the board-room habitues – and that was why it was constantly talked about. But it was emphatically not a boom of dozens of secondary stocks in which perhaps as many investors were interested… The persistence of the idea that all stocks were going through the roof in the autumn of 1929 is a monument to the power of popular myth.

– John Brooks, Once in Golconda, 1969

Put simply, despite wildly negative full-cycle market prospects, our near-term outlook is neutral; not hard-negative, and not bullish. Tight and automatic safety nets such as out-of-the-money index put options can be useful both for investors who are inclined to hold stocks, and as a way to establish a “contingent” bearish stance that would kick in on market weakness. Whatever happens, a sudden market collapse would not leave us unprepared.

Again, it’s important to distinguish investment, which is concerned with valuation, from speculation, which is concerned with investor psychology. At present, valuations offer investors among the most offensive investment prospects in financial history. Yet we’ve also learned our lesson: one aspect of the financial markets has become truly “different” from history, and it’s that even brazenly “overvalued, overbought, overbullish” syndromes no longer place a reliable “limit” on the speculative recklessness of investors. At the moment, investors have the speculative bit in their teeth, however tenuously – a psychological disposition that we read out of the joint behavior of thousands of securities, industries, sectors, and security-types, including debt securities of varying creditworthiness.

Internals are important precisely because valuations aren’t a timing tool. If overvaluation was enough to drive stock prices immediately lower, it would be impossible for the market to establish obscene levels of overvaluation like 1929, 2000 and today. Rather, valuations are enormously informative about long-term and full-cycle investment prospects. Shorter-term outcomes are much more dependent on shifts in investor psychology. Internals effectively capture that psychology, because when investors are inclined toward speculation, they tend to be indiscriminate about it.

Notably, both valuations and market internals have done beautifully in recent market cycles. Indeed, our valuation measures effectively identified the full-cycle risk at the 2000 and 2007 peaks, as well as the far stronger investment prospects that existed at the 2002 and 2009 lows. Meanwhile, the entire total return of the S&P 500 in recent decades has occurred during periods where our measures of market internals were favorable, while the majority of steep losses like 2000-2002 and 2007-2009 occurred when they were not.

Again, the single factor that was “different” in the recent advancing half-cycle is that syndromes of “overvalued, overbought, overbullish” conditions became ineffective, and responding to those warning signs proved detrimental. In prior cycles, those syndromes reliably indicated that speculation had reached a “limit,” and they were regularly followed by air-pockets, panics and crashes. Investors abandoned those limits in the face of zero-interest rate policy.

Yet even during the advancing period since the 2009 low, the S&P 500 has lost value, on average, when overvalued, overbought, overbullish conditions have been joined by deteriorating market internals. As a result, in late-2007, we adapted our investment approach to rule out adopting a hard-negative market outlook except in periods where market internals have explicitly deteriorated.

Internals are important precisely because valuations aren’t a timing tool. If overvaluation was enough to drive stock prices immediately lower, it would be impossible for the market to establish obscene levels of overvaluation like 1929, 2000 and today. Rather, valuations are enormously informative about long-term and full-cycle investment prospects. Shorter-term outcomes are much more dependent on shifts in investor psychology. Internals effectively capture that psychology, because when investors are inclined toward speculation, they tend to be indiscriminate about it.

Emphatically, the present uniformity of market internals should not be treated as a “bullish forecast.” As current conditions stand, these measures could deteriorate with just a few sessions of ragged market action, but our approach is to align our views with internals rather than trying to forecast them. At current valuation extremes, safety nets are essential, and conditions are sufficiently extreme to warrant a neutral near-term view rather than a constructive one. The primary importance of internals here is to discourage fighting the market with a hard-negative near-term outlook until speculative psychology again shifts toward risk-aversion.

Cyclically excessive deficits

During the global financial crisis, the U.S. Federal deficit briefly exploded to over $1.5 trillion, peaking at just over 9% of GDP. Yet even with the unemployment rate down from 10% to just 3.6%, and even having completely eliminated the output gap between actual GDP and Congressional Budget Office estimates of potential GDP, the U.S. Federal deficit has exploded to $1.1 trillion. Over the next couple of years, we expect the Federal deficit to reach record levels. Indeed, even a mild recession is likely to drive the deficit, as a share of GDP, to levels that match or exceed the extremes seen in the global financial crisis.

To ask whether a deficit is “good” or “bad” is like asking whether debt is good or bad. The answer is that it depends enormously whether or not the funds are used productively. One of my sharpest objections to the notion that government spending can “stimulate” the economy is that this proposition often makes no distinction between productive and unproductive spending, and often doesn’t even give any consideration to the position of the economy relative to its capacity, or the labor force composition that would be required to make that spending productive without outsourcing it abroad.

“Infrastructure” is a case in point. Before talking about spending $2 trillion, or 10% of GDP, on infrastructure, it may help to remember that the U.S. unemployment rate is currently just 3.6%. Only 11% of U.S. workers are employed in “infrastructure.” Moreover, according to the Brookings Institution, 77% of them are employed in “operation” of that infrastructure (running facilities, moving supplies), with only about 15% of them involved in construction.

So unless one imagines that every unemployed individual is well-suited to construction, we’re talking about activities that would have to be implemented by just 1.65% of an already tight labor force. I don’t think it’s overly cynical to suggest that infrastructure may be attractive to the White House because of the potential to embed large benefits to private business interests in the small print. In any event, while various forms of government “stimulus” can potentially be useful, the nature and timing of those policies is critical.

To offer some idea of why the U.S. Federal deficit is likely to explode in the coming years, it’s important to recognize that our current $1.1 trillion deficit is occurring not in the midst of a recession, but after the longest U.S. economic expansion in history. The chart below shows how the deficit typically responds to changes in economic growth. Notice that real GDP growth above about 3% annually typically results in a narrowing deficit (or increasing surplus), while real GDP growth short of 3% annually typically results in a widening deficit.

Notice also that even a year of zero GDP growth would likely increase the deficit by about 2% of GDP, or about $400 billion in current terms. So even without a material recession, even a year of flat economic growth would likely drive the U.S. Federal deficit from the current $1.1 trillion to the same record $1.5 trillion observed in the depths of the global financial crisis.

Change in Federal Deficit vs GDP Growth

Much of the real GDP growth we’ve observed since the global financial crisis has been driven by a cyclical decline in the rate of unemployment, while the underlying “structural” drivers – labor force growth and productivity growth – have continued their sustained slowdown from historical norms. The chart below shows this breakdown, where actual GDP growth is shown in blue, the contribution of unemployment fluctuations is shown in green, and underlying “structural” GDP growth is shown in red. Holding the U.S. unemployment rate constant, trend U.S. real GDP growth would currently be running at just 1.6% annually. That amplifies the vulnerability to recession, because even a 0.8% increase in the unemployment rate, from the current 3.6% to just 4.4%, would likely be associated with negative GDP growth.

Structural and Cyclical Drivers of U.S. GDP Growth - Hussman

While the real GDP growth estimate for the first quarter of 2019 came in at 3.2%, fully 0.7% of that growth represented unsold inventories. Similarly, 0.5% of the 3.2% year-over-year GDP figure was also inventory accumulation. So real final sales are already sputtering, while the majority of output growth classified as “business investment” is actually inventory accumulation.

To offer a sense of how the Federal deficit is typically related to economic fluctuations, the chart below shows the U.S. Federal deficit as a percent of GDP versus changes in the “output gap” – the difference between actual real GDP and CBO estimates of “real potential GDP” reflecting the level of GDP that would be expected at a high level of capacity use, based on economic and demographic factors.

The output gap is shown by the blue line (left scale), with the Federal surplus or deficit as a share of GDP in red (right scale). Notice that the two fluctuate largely in tandem, reflecting a tendency for the deficit to expand during recessions and contract during expansions. But notice how the current situation deviates from that normal behavior. Given the current position of the U.S. economy, the Federal balance would typically be running at a deficit of only about 1% of GDP. Instead, the deficit is already at 5% of GDP (about $400 billion larger than expected).

Federal deficit as a percent of GDP vs GDP output gap - Hussman

Note that there are a handful of instances – 1967, 1972 and 1979 – where the output gap pushed to positive levels (i.e. real GDP temporarily moved above CBO estimates of potential GDP) yet the Federal budget was already in a deficit position. These points are notable from the standpoint of economic history because they were exactly the points at which inflation expectations became most unstable, as the public abandoned its faith that fiscal policy was on a stable course.

The first episode reflected spending for the Vietnam War and Great Society programs enacted by the Johnson Administration. The U.S. inflation rate took off in 1967, breaking free from its prior 2-3% range, and pushing to 4% during the recession of 1970. At the time, the global economy operated on the Bretton Woods system, in which other countries pegged their own currencies against the dollar, and treated the U.S. dollar as the de-facto global reserve currency. As U.S. deficits persisted, foreign countries became offended by what they saw as the “exorbitant privilege” of financing U.S. deficits by forcing Treasury liabilities on the rest of the world. These governments began to demand gold in exchange for their Treasury bonds, and in response, Nixon closed the gold window in late-1971, which started the era of floating exchange rates.

The 1973 OPEC shock contributed further instability to an economic situation already strained by U.S. deficits, and inflation soared to nearly 12% during the recession of 1974. As economic slack narrowed during the next recovery, inflation soared again, and finally peaked above 14%. The inflationary episode was finally stopped by a “regime change” by which Fed Chair Paul Volcker effectively ended the expectation that the Federal Reserve would fund continuing deficits through money creation.

The rate of inflation plunged to just 2.4% by mid-1983. Observe that inflation wasn’t ended by actually moving the Federal balance to a surplus. It was enough to restore public expectations that movements in the deficit would not continue along an unsustainable trajectory – particularly, relative to the GDP output gap. Those expectations have remained intact for three decades, until recently. In particular, notice that the Federal deficit following the 1981-82 recession was much smaller than would have been expected based on the GDP output gap at the time.

Given the current position of the U.S. economy, the Federal balance would typically be running at a deficit of only about 1% of GDP. Instead, the deficit is already at 5% of GDP (about $400 billion larger than expected).

Why did the “cyclically excessive deficits” of the late-1960’s and 1970’s tend to be inflationary? Well, there are only two ways to finance a deficit: either Treasury bonds are sold to the public, or Treasury bonds are sold to the Federal Reserve, which effectively creates money to pay for them. In either case, there is an increase in the quantity of government liabilities that has to be held by the public. Treasury bonds and currency compete in the portfolios of investors, so not surprisingly, there’s a 70% correlation between Treasury yields (both long-term and short-term) and core inflation. When the issuance of government liabilities is excessive, all government liabilities tend to lose value simultaneously.

Be careful not to assume that there is some reliable linear relationship between government deficits and subsequent inflation. There isn’t. Inflation has an enormous psychological component. The central point is that there is far greater risk of destabilizing public expectations about the soundness of government liabilities when deficits move well beyond the level that would be appropriate, given the position of the economy in its cycle. That’s a risk that investors seem to be wholly ignoring here.

As Nobel economist (and my former dissertation advisor) Thomas Sargent wrote in the midst of the 1970’s inflation: “People expect high rates of inflation in the future precisely because the government’s current and future monetary and fiscal policies warrant those expectations… it is actually the long-term government policy of persistently running large deficits and creating money at high rates which imparts the momentum to the inflation rate.” Likewise, Sargent argues that stopping an inflation, once underway, requires “a change in the policy regime: there must be an abrupt change in continuing government policy, or strategy, for setting deficits now and in the future that is sufficiently binding as to be widely believed.” That’s what Volcker did.

Because inflation is so dependent on psychology – particularly destabilized expectations – it turns out that the best indicator of future inflation isn’t unemployment, money growth, or deficit spending, but the rate of inflation itself. Just like a Ponzi scheme, and just like a hypervalued market, nobody actually cares about what’s happening underneath until it’s too late. Instead, everyone is content with the pleasant outcomes they see on paper until the instant their common whistle-past-the-graveyard psychology is destabilized. Only then do they run for the exits.

When the issuance of government liabilities is excessive, all government liabilities tend to lose value simultaneously. There is far greater risk of destabilizing public expectations about the soundness of government liabilities when deficits move well beyond the level that would be appropriate, given the position of the economy in its cycle. That’s a risk that investors seem to be wholly ignoring here.

We can’t reliably project accelerating inflation in the years ahead – spend some time with historical data, and you’ll find that inflation just doesn’t have a clear linear relationship with any of the things that are usually used to explain it. What we can say is that the present “cyclically excessive deficit” creates a substantially increased risk of destabilized public expectations about fiscal discipline and monetary soundness in the coming years. Accordingly, it will remain important to attend to various inflation measures, including interest rate spreads, commodity prices, and inflation-sensitive securities.

My impression is that this recent Business Week magazine cover about a New Era is much like the 1979 “Death of Equities” cover – more a reflection of confidence in a decade of past experience than an indication of future prospects.

Lightscribe
2 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

(CNA.LN)

96.080 -8.920 (-8.50%)

Centrica SP is starting to resemble Countrywide. I only have a small holding at the moment and my monthly allocations are taken up entirely adding to my miners at the moment in the current pullback.

I’m sitting on the fence on this one, surely the bottom isn’t far off, but I do think if the stock market turns this could could spiral further down. I think we’ll have a bit of time to sit on the sidelines and watch what happens here, as PMs will be the first to run.

DoINeedOne
15 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

Centrica SP is starting to resemble Countrywide. I only have a small holding at the moment and my monthly allocations are taken up entirely adding to my miners at the moment in the current pullback.

I’m sitting on the fence on this one, surely the bottom isn’t far off, but I do think if the stock market turns this could could spiral further down. I think we’ll have a bit of time to sit on the sidelines and watch what happens here, as PMs will be the first to run.

Feeling the same, In April i was able to take money from my company that i wanted to invest, as of today i have not invested any of that money as im currently just watching although im thinking i will be buying more gold and silver first 

3 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

(CNA.LN)

96.080 -8.920 (-8.50%)

Yes....same here but I seem to remember DB saying everything could go down by up to 15% before the "turn" and we're in that bit before the "solid" companies return into favour.  Let's hope so or it's an awful lot of divis before I get back my losses:)I think Woodford is doing the same type of investing from what I read and investors in his funds are losing patience https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/.../Should-sell-Woodford-fund-investment-loss.html

Also SP I've just learnt something which I didn't know about "scrip divi"(shares instead of a divi) which I think only applies if you have paper certificates??  I find myself looking up a lot of the terms bandied about on here.  {Thanks go to Google).

sancho panza
1 hour ago, Sideysid said:

Possibly from a technical perspective.

From a fundamental perspective CNA is forecast £938mn pre tax to 31/12/19 on revenue £29,537mn.Whereas  Countrywide is forrecast to make £0.43mn on rev £609mn.

https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Countrywide

https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Centrica

Like I said,it's either going bust or it's a bargain.

58 minutes ago, janch said:

Yes....same here but I seem to remember DB saying everything could go down by up to 15% before the "turn" and we're in that bit before the "solid" companies return into favour.  Let's hope so or it's an awful lot of divis before I get back my losses:)I think Woodford is doing the same type of investing from what I read and investors in his funds are losing patience https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/.../Should-sell-Woodford-fund-investment-loss.html

Also SP I've just learnt something which I didn't know about "scrip divi"(shares instead of a divi) which I think only applies if you have paper certificates??  I find myself looking up a lot of the terms bandied about on here.  {Thanks go to Google).

Yeah,you need to hold paper certificates to get scrip.Buy a blue chip and let it run.When you're compounding at 5% p.a.,that's a lot of compounding.

We're running a 50% loss on some initial ladders.I could obviously be wrong and taking scrip is doubling down on a bad bet.Time will tell.

Obviously DYOR.

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker

Oh F**** all us British Gas/CNA holders have been... GASSED OUT! :o

YET CEO Iain Conn received a total pay package worth £2.4m last year, up from £1.7m in 2017, according to Centrica’s annual report. His 2018 packet was bolstered by two bonuses, each worth £388,000!

AND he looks a right C**T! Can ya see this C**T turning the company around...er NO!

spacer.png

HES imposed price increases, and announced thousands of job cuts.

Then issued a profit warning!!! AND meanwhile the performance of the shares are miserable DOWN hill slope to todays 95p!

AND what makes it WORSE for me is the fact i'm NOT getting GOOD REDUCTIONS at the mo...to soften the CNA price blowxD

I agree with @sancho panza BUST or maybe just MAYBE a GOOD buying opportunity for those that DON'T hold 'em yet THIS IS NOT advice DYOR as ever!

BTW @sancho panzaWELCOME back!:D

Archived