• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Chicken sausages...

They must be really bulked out with fat.  Chicken is such a dry meat that you don't get chicken mince and up to now chicken bangers as they'd just crumble apaprt as soon as you cut them.

I did try beef sausages once but they weren't quite right; I'll stick to pork.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They must be really bulked out with fat.  Chicken is such a dry meat that you don't get chicken mince and up to now chicken bangers as they'd just crumble apaprt as soon as you cut them.

I did try beef sausages once but they weren't quite right; I'll stick to pork.

Allergy Advice: For allergens see highlighted ingredients

Chicken (85%), Water, Pea Flour, Salt, Spices, Yeast Extract, Stabiliser (Triphosphates), Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Dextrose, Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Sausage filled in a natural Sheep casing

Dietary Information

May Contain Celery, May Contain Eggs, Free From Gluten, May Contain Milk, May Contain Mustard, May Contain Soya, Contains Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites

Nutritional Data

Typical Values (grilled) per 100g (grilled) per sausage (30g) %RI your RI*
Energy 657kJ/157kcal 198kJ/47kcal 2% 8400kJ/2000kcal
Fat 6.4g 1.9g 3% 70g
of which saturates 1.9g 0.6g 3% 20g
Carbohydrate 2.2g 0.7g    
of which sugars 0.1g trace <1% 90g
Fibre 0.7g 0.2g    
Protein 22.2g 6.7g    
Salt 1.28g 0.39g 6% 6g
*Reference intake of an average adult (8400kJ/2000kcal) (RI)        
Contains 10 portions

Tahira Chicken & Beef Sausage Hot & Spicy 500g (halal)

50% Chicken, 37% of which is mechanically separated, Chicken Fat, Water, Chicken Collagen, Wheatflour, 3% Beef, Salt, Mixed Herbs and Spices (0,4% Pepper), Stabiliser: E450, E452, Beef Fat, Flavour Enhancer: E621, Aroma, Anti-Oxidant: E300, E316, Dried Vegetables (Garlic), Preservative: E250

Dietary Information

May Contain Celery, May Contain Milk, May Contain Mustard, May Contain Pistachio Nuts, May Contain Soya, Contains Wheat

Nutritional Data

Typical Values per 100 g
Energy 1135 kJ/273 kcal
Fat 21,3 g
Of which saturates 7,22 g
Carbohydrate 9,3 g
Of which sugars 1,3 g
Protein 11,1 g
Salt 2,75 g

Be interesting to know what bits of the chicken get mashed up to put in those sausages.

As ever, you're better only eating meat that you can easily identify as being part of an animal.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Be interesting to know what bits of the chicken get mashed up to put in those sausages.

As ever, you're better only eating meat that you can easily identify as being part of an animal.

MRM.
Yup. But hotdogs have been MRM chicken and beef for years. 

12 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I suspect that

Skin will provide the fat (all those skinless breasts)

Tendons and bone the collagen

Bits of meat high pressure washed off the carcasses

Just now, Hopeful said:

I suspect that

Yum.

Yes, when I was syaing baout chicken being a dry meat I was forgetting about chickne skin which si going to be a huge component of these sausages; although they are still only 6% fat versus 21% for the chicken and beef.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yum.

Yes, when I was syaing baout chicken being a dry meat I was forgetting about chickne skin which si going to be a huge component of these sausages; although they are still only 6% fat versus 21% for the chicken and beef.

I'm actually OK with all of that.

It's all 'chicken'

So, if I had a chicken I'd eat the skin with the meat and the carcass would be boiled for soup where the collagen would make all that jelly and you'd effectively 'MRM' all the bits of meat in the process that you couldn't carve off. All I wouldn't do is grind up the bones. But you might even do that if hungry.

I wouldn't buy it as a commercial product though. Not because of the constituents, but because I wouldn't trust the commercial process.

Edited by Hopeful

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

It's consistent with the philosophy of nose-to-tail eating, which I would fully condone. But I bet they're pretty gross. Factory farmed poultry, urgh.

Edited by LC1

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

It's all 'chicken'

So, if I had a chicken I'd eat the skin with the meat and the carcass would be boiled for soup where the collagen would make all that jelly and you'd effectively 'MRM' all the bits of meat in the process that you couldn't carve off. All I wouldn't do is grind up the bones. But you might even do that if hungry.

I wouldn't buy it as a commercial product though. Not because of the constituents, but because I wouldn't trust the commercial process.

And odds on it would be religiously slaughtered.

My purchased meat so far this year has been black pudding, bacon, and pork sausages.  Whilst I concede that a slaughterhouse is never going to be Butlins the fact that all pigs are stunned before being killed is a hundred times more humane than slitting their throats whilst fully conscious whilst jabbering away in arabic or hebrew.

Though full respect to anyone who has taken note of @Kurt Barlow's researches on non-religious slaughter suppliers to eat other meats which have also been pre-stunned.

1 minute ago, LC1 said:

It's consistent with the philosophy of nose-to-tail eating, which I would fully condone. But I bet they're still gross. Factory farmed poultry, urgh.

Yes, wouldn't even buy a chicken from a supermarket. Flavourless rubbish

It's why I said "I wouldn't buy it as a commercial product though. Not because of the constituents, but because I wouldn't trust the commercial process"

It says on the ingredients list that sarahbell posted, the skin is "sheep casing".

4 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Wasn't MRM what lead to BSE in the food chain - squeezing out the last of the shite?!

No, MRM is still widespread and in everything. BSE was caused by feeding bits of animals back to cows or MBM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_and_bone_meal

* very likely anyway. Don't think it has ever been fully confirmed.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yum.

Yet the Beef only makes up 3% of the sausage... 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It says on the ingredients list that sarahbell posted, the skin is "sheep casing".

No, MRM is still widespread and in everything. BSE was caused by feeding bits of animals back to cows or MBM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_and_bone_meal

* very likely anyway. Don't think it has ever been fully confirmed.

I thought the BSE was in the spinal cord and entered the human food chain because it was squeezed out by MRM as part of the "meat"/slush that went into the delectable sausages and pies?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1482140.stm

Edited by The Idiocrat

Posted (edited)

This is an attempt to produce sausages wihout any pork inc using natural sheep casing for the skin

I wonder who would by this dogsh*t?

Edited by WorkingPoor

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

I thought the BSE was in the spinal cord and entered the human food chain because it was squeezed out by MRM as part of the "meat"/slush that went into the delectable sausages and pies?

BSE was caused by feeding animal products to animals, Humans then got the prion by eating meat from animals with BSE.

I was woking on a dairy farm when BSE broke out. It was an astonishing time as almost every milking you'd have a cow stagger into the parlour and drop down dead. You watched the herd literally decimated before your eyes. The source in that instance was the cattle cake that contained plywood as one source of animal protein (unknown to the farmer), the protein came from the animal-based glue used in the plywood - clever and resourceful these feed manufacturers.

Edited by Hopeful

3 hours ago, LC1 said:

It's consistent with the philosophy of nose-to-tail eating, which I would fully condone. But I bet they're pretty gross. Factory farmed poultry, urgh.

Leave the beaks at the side of your plate.

41 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Leave the beaks at the side of your plate.

You just made me think of an exchange from"10 Things I Hate About You".

- That guy? I heard he ate a live duck once.

- Everything except the beak, and the feet.

4 hours ago, Hopeful said:

I suspect that

Crispy chicken skin is just about the best tasting thing in the world. Skinless chicken breast is the least tasty bit of the whole chicken. People are crazy!

10 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Crispy chicken skin is just about the best tasting thing in the world. Skinless chicken breast is the least tasty bit of the whole chicken. People are crazy!

Couldn't agree more

People won't eat it for two reasons, because it's skin Eurrghhhh and because it's so fatty - but the latter is all relative.

A decent farm cockerel, yum yum.

Supermarket stuff - waste of time

4 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

The spinal cord and brain were being removed in 1992 when I did my Meat Inspection ticket. I don't think that control has changed since then.