• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
dgul

A man's job for manly men

Great story this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44369163

Akbar Al Baker, International Air Transport Association chair and chief executive of Qatar Airways, said his job could only be done by a man.
"Of course it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position," Mr Baker said.

Obviously there's people running around screaming about this.

Could it be fair to say that there are 'male traits' and 'female traits', and that he's saying that the job needs 'male traits' -- doesn't matter if it is a man or a woman;  a man is more likely to have them but a female with those traits would be great?

We seem to be very happy that females do have different traits -- they're always going on about how females in the boardroom will bring a new dynamic*.  It is just males that aren't allowed to have different traits (even though that it is implied by saying things like 'females will bring something different').

Anyway, I've no idea if it is true or not, but the headless running around sort seem to think that they know that it isn't true and that entertains me slightly.

[*Of course, that ignores the point that they might well have got to that position by having 'male traits', and be a complete bastard.]

the SJWs fucked up, they only saw "Mr Baker" and that went very nicely with the anti- white man agenda.

The only public figure with the balls to now point out the islam link is in Hull.

If you live in Qatar then because of the subjugation of women there you are going to think that and be right to think that.

In Britain there are many successful business women who could do that job.

IMO if the boards of the various banks had more women directors then things like RBS' stupidly over-priced buying of ABN Amro at exactly the wrong moment would not have happened; saving billions. 

The one thing unlikely to change is the great majority of FTSE 100 chief execs being men since to do those roles you can forget any notion of a work / life balance.  Very few men are prepared to live their lives like that and much fewer women.

3 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

This is a critical point. By definition there are only 100 people prepared to go to the lengths required full stop. It's not about gender, it's total mindset. I would bet my bottom dollar that any woman who has worked continually with no maternity leave, is ultra smart, and does 80-100 hour weeks is in an equivalent position in terms of both seniority and pay as any man who does the same.

This.

If I wanted to, I could work 100+ hours a week for the next ten years and probably end up on a million dollar plus bonus salary.  I've been told by senior management in a couple of different firms that I'd be well qualified.  However, I'd be dead by 60, and almost certainly divorced.

I know men that do this.

I only know one woman that did this, and she was single (despite wanting a husband desperately) and died of cancer, childless, at 63.

I think women are smarter than men re work/life balance.

59 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

This is a critical point. By definition there are only 100 people prepared to go to the lengths required full stop. It's not about gender, it's total mindset. I would bet my bottom dollar that any woman who has worked continually with no maternity leave, is ultra smart, and does 80-100 hour weeks is in an equivalent position in terms of both seniority and pay as any man who does the same.

I have known two FT100 Chairmen - and yes, you do need to sell your life to the devil.

I have no idea why they both carried on past the multi millionaire stage.

42 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I think women are smarter than men re work/life balance.

And in many other aspects.

More women scientists!  Why? it is a hard job, not paid particularly well, is difficult to work life around and often has poor job security.  I'd be better off becoming an estate agent/accountant/doctor.

More women firemen!  Why?  Run into burning buildings -- you've got to be joking.  I could just be a teacher for the same money -- and that comes with long holidays.

etc, etc.

23 minutes ago, dgul said:

And in many other aspects.

More women scientists!  Why? it is a hard job, not paid particularly well, is difficult to work life around and often has poor job security.  I'd be better off becoming an estate agent/accountant/doctor.

More women firemen!  Why?  Run into burning buildings -- you've got to be joking.  I could just be a teacher for the same money -- and that comes with long holidays.

etc, etc.

I particularly agree with science and engineering which in this country is generally going to be an underpaid and under appreciated career from which many drop out disillusioned.

This idea that women should be encouraged into these careers sounds like an employer's desire to pay even less for the work mis-sold as female empowerment.

You go girl, you get that crap job and don't let any man put you off.

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You go girl, you get that crap job and don't let any man put you off.

And when you want a pickle jar opening find a man with strong hands.
Or one of them stubbly ladies there seem to be so many of.

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have known two FT100 Chairmen - and yes, you do need to sell your life to the devil.

I have concluded over years of observation that this is a circular argument. Anyone who has the attitude to quit the moment they get to the 10m mark (or whatever the number is) almost by definition doesn’t have the attitude to get there in the first place. The only time I’ve seen people walk away is when they genuinely got there by accident. E.g. a statistician  I know who went to work at a hedge fund because they were prepared to pay him to effectively continue his research without the need to  teach quit when he hit that kind of number but then he’d never expected to earn it in the first place. Last time I checked he was still living in the same small terraced house in Cambridge and driving a ten year old car!

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I particularly agree with science and engineering which in this country is generally going to be an underpaid and under appreciated career from which many drop out disillusioned.

I'm not an engineer, but I work with quite a few (mostly chem eng. and mechanical, but some electrical). I still see engineering as a relatively good option in this country if you're starting out: a lot of firms need engineers of various flavours, and although it's not great pay for the skill and hours you need to put in, it can be fulfilling, and there is a possibility of career progression (although probably mostly into management, unfortunately).

I know an engineering professor at one of the good departments, and he was having a moan a couple of weeks back about a slew of diversity initiatives they had to contribute to, about how they are going to encourage the right people to apply for engineering degrees. His comment was: "looking at the last few years' intakes, the only diversity campaign they need, is to encourage more white boys to apply."

The glass ceiling is a myth. There has never been a ceiling specifically for women. Ceilings get set by class, wealth and location etc. Would Bill Gates have become CEO of anything had he been born into a struggling working class family?

His father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way

Marie Curie was born not long after her family lost their fortune but she made good.

To Maggie, obstacles were just cobwebs that were to be brushed aside.

Strong people are prepared to put the effort in to get what they want. If they decide that the game isn't worth the candle, that game is for others. Weak people want the power and the glory without the effort or the risk.

22 hours ago, wherebee said:

And a thousand aged cat ladies cried out in anger.....whilst getting all moist at the thought of a dusky man telling them to suck it.....

That sums up all the crap that has happened to Sweden, Germany, UK, France, etc, etc, etc...

14 minutes ago, jm51 said:

The glass ceiling is a myth. There has never been a ceiling specifically for women. Ceilings get set by class, wealth and location etc. Would Bill Gates have become CEO of anything had he been born into a struggling working class family?

His father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way

Marie Curie was born not long after her family lost their fortune but she made good.

To Maggie, obstacles were just cobwebs that were to be brushed aside.

Strong people are prepared to put the effort in to get what they want. If they decide that the game isn't worth the candle, that game is for others. Weak people want the power and the glory without the effort or the risk.

Marrying a Director of an Oil company may have helped her along;)

22 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

He wouldn't have got to that position in the first place if he was the type to stop at the few million stage. 

On 05/06/2018 at 14:57, Frank Hovis said:

If you live in Qatar then because of the subjugation of women there you are going to think that and be right to think that.

In Britain there are many successful business women who could do that job.

IMO if the boards of the various banks had more women directors then things like RBS' stupidly over-priced buying of ABN Amro at exactly the wrong moment would not have happened; saving billions. 

The one thing unlikely to change is the great majority of FTSE 100 chief execs being men since to do those roles you can forget any notion of a work / life balance.  Very few men are prepared to live their lives like that and much fewer women.

I doubt it. The corporate filter that allowed them to get in that position only lets through a certain type of person, regardless of gender. 

Posted (edited)

I've known folk who were on the big money (which to me was £100k+), who then sold out at the right time and are now millionaires.

They genuinely don't seem to be any happier than those who are on decent money, say 40/50K, but who aren't killing themselves to get it. They have bigger houses, and maybe a holiday flat somewhere, something like that. Nice car to show off if you care about that. But by the time they get to the point where they can cash out, they're typically north of 55 and completely fucking burnt out anyway.

The only thing that might make the 40/50K earner feel poor is ridiculous house prices.

I also know a few people who either aged prematurely, ended up in hospital with heart problems, or went from being nice people when they were younger to hard nosed bastards who were loathed by most 30 years later....all in the pursuit of career status and money.

Edited by JoeDavola

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I doubt it. The corporate filter that allowed them to get in that position only lets through a certain type of person, regardless of gender. 

I have far more experience of public sector boards but I do see a real difference between the two sexes' behaviour on boards.  Men tend to be gung ho or pedantic dependent upon mood / personality and women cautious or irrelevant.

It's that caution offsetting the gung ho that really works.

I have far more experience of public sector boards but I do see a real difference between the two sexes' behaviour on boards.  Men tend to be gung ho or pedantic dependent upon mood / personality and women cautious or irrelevant.

And this is why they tend to get on these boards in the first place. 

Jobs for pedants?

Where do I apply?

😁