• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Proud to be English?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44142843

I think the lead picture on the So-Called BBC says everything.

I am proud to be Yorkshire. Mrs Plan says that I am bloody Surrey, and should be proud of that.

I can't think of a single thing about Surrey to be proud of. Neither could she so she had to concede the point.

Is there any other region of England that is as characterless as Surrey?

There's a big anonymous commuter belt around London; some counties are sufficiently big that they have more to them than mere commuter belt but have their own identity (Essex, Kent) but IME (I used to live there) Surrey is all commuter belt and there is no sense of anything approaching county pride.

And yes typical BBC picture.  English is a race; those people are not English they are British which is a legal definition.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Have they tried adding a fringe, on top?

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There's a big anonymous commuter belt around London; some counties are sufficiently big that they have more to them than mere commuter belt but have their own identity (Essex, Kent) but IME (I used to live there) Surrey is all commuter belt and there is no sense of anything approaching county pride.

And yes typical BBC picture.  English is a race; those people are not English they are British which is a legal definition.

In reality I think a lot of it is now retired commuter belt.

The actual commuters probably have to live further out and press their noses jealously against the train window as they go through the Surrey richlands.

47 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am proud to be Yorkshire. Mrs Plan says that I am bloody Surrey, and should be proud of that.

I can't think of a single thing about Surrey to be proud of. Neither could she so she had to concede the point.

More trees than any other county. Plenty of accessible green space. Relatively good infrastructure. Low levels of deprivation. Low levels of crime. Plenty of attractive women. Some decent breweries.

It does suffer from a lack of vague nostalgia for the local working class culture of yesteryear. 

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

More trees than any other county. Plenty of accessible green space. Relatively good infrastructure. Low levels of deprivation. Low levels of crime. Plenty of attractive women. Some decent breweries.

It does suffer from a lack of vague nostalgia for the local working class culture of yesteryear. 

I would challenge that one. Give me the roads in almost any other part of the country any day.

Am I proud to be from the North-East...?

Nah. Don't really think pride can be ascribed to what is purely an accident of birth.

And they do say it comes before a fall.

But am I *glad* to be from the North-East...?

Oh sweet Jesus - too fucking right am I...!!!

;)

XYY

1 hour ago, Wahoo said:

I'm proud to be Cornish.  

We don't like the English.

(Only joking   :))

You need to talk to someone from YORKSHIRE, they (we) think the same. :)

you can tell someone from YORKSHIRE but you can’t tell ‘em much. 

7 minutes ago, Libspero said:

The survey results practically spell it out.

Areas with low population densities are content and happy with their country and way of life.  People who live in areas of high population density and charmless concrete jungles are less content and are no longer proud of where they live.

Which suggests to me that those who look back nostalgically at "better times" may actually be right.

Or, those whose lives are more enriched are less content?  

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

They really are beyond the pale.

Anything to stir divisions, and to paint a picture that is less than representative.

Most people should be proud of their home country, or their home town, no? Clearly that doesn't work with the lefty SJWs that invest the So-Called BBC.

1 minute ago, Wahoo said:

Exactly.....and what a surprise that Orkney is voted the best place to live.

No crime, small population, excellent schools, good healthcare, beautiful environment and a sense of belonging.

Feck the politicians and big business that has destroyed our land. feck the lot of them.

👍

Posted (edited)

Any item on the So-Called BBC which is starts by stating a 'report indicates' or 'survey shows ' is by definition not news and signifies SFA.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Posted (edited)

There is a huge sense of identity here in the Black Country. The semi un pc flags fly everywhere, people are proud to identify as ‘Yamyams’. It’s unlike anywhere else in the UK* I have lived previously.

* We’ on the edge of the Black Country in South Shropshire. I am not English.

Edited by Horrified Onlooker
Spelling

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:59, Cunning Plan said:

Never been to Surrey but sounds like a far cry from the rural idyll one would imagine. 13th most densely populated county is a bit of a giveaway I suppose. Still the most expensive county regarding house prices.

Image result for shere village

In the Home Counties, Surrey is my least favourite, although that depends if you include Bedfordshire - what a dump.

Surrey  doesn't really have an identity. Although it does have some magnificent history most of it has been forgotten about or torn down. I can't remember the last time I bought any produce from Surrey either-, being surrounded by Hampshire, Sussex and Kent which all have significant agri industries I find that odd. 

When I think of Surrey I think of large, gated anonymous mansions on A roads, surrounded by rhododendrons and traffic. There's not really much that is unique about the place.

Never understood this, 'Proud to be from...' stuff. It doesn't really matter where someone is from as long as they aren't a total prick. In fact I'm proud not to be a prick, though I'm sure some may disagree.

In terms of characterful places, it's probably a quirk of my thinking but I tend to find the most character in places where I'm not supposed to find it or in places that don't appear on the 'must see!' maps. I find the Cotswolds dull as bollocks but I've met loads of people who love it whereas I'm happiest somewhere isolated that would probably bore the tits off most.

It's all subjective really.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Never understood this, 'Proud to be from...' stuff. It doesn't really matter where someone is from as long as they aren't a total prick. In fact I'm proud not to be a prick, though I'm sure some may disagree.

In terms of characterful places, it's probably a quirk of my thinking but I tend to find the most character in places where I'm not supposed to find it or in places that don't appear on the 'must see!' maps. I find the Cotswolds dull as bollocks but I've met loads of people who love it whereas I'm happiest somewhere isolated that would probably bore the tits off most.

It's all subjective really.

You are clearly not from YORKSHIRE then. :)

1 minute ago, One percent said:

You are clearly not from YORKSHIRE then. :)

I'm certainly not proud to be from neighbouring Derbyshire, the dialect is one of the very worst for starters. But the bit I was born and bred in and returned to, the Derbyshire Dales, covering 40% of the county and just 7% of the population is bloody nice imo. I have also lived in Nottingham, Doncaster and Walsall in between  and they were a tad depressing tbh. Baslow, Wirksworth, Darley Dale, Chatsworth, Bakewell, Ashbourne etc...all good. Aerial view of one of my morning walks.

Image result for chatsworth images

1 minute ago, crashmonitor said:

I'm certainly not proud to be from neighbouring Derbyshire, the dialect is one of the very worst for starters. But the bit I was born and bred in and returned to, the Derbyshire Dales, covering 40% of the county and just 7% of the population is bloody nice imo. I have also lived in Nottingham, Doncaster and Walsall in between  and they were a tad depressing tbh. Baslow, Wirksworth, Darley Dale, Chatsworth, Bakewell, Ashbourne etc...all good. Aerial view of one of my morning walks.

Image result for chatsworth images

Is that chatsworth?  Very nice.