• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Long time lurking

Is an alternative social media platform about to be born

Posted (edited)

The problem with this is that ordinary people who aren’t freakin’ loons, generally have better things to do than post on social media.

Most of my ordinary friends are still on face ache, as they were on friends reunited and others before. Me and a guy who I was at school with are even both on instawhore. We each posted a picture of our lunches, said hi and went off and found better things to do and pretty much never went back (except for some low level cyber stalking). It’s not that they were driven off by the SJW censoring loons, it’s just that they got bored, realised it was a waste of time and wandered off.

Edited by Melchett

11 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I think with the way the others are censoring every thing the timing is right 

Kim Dotcom asks Snowden, Assange to help create secure social media platform

https://on.rt.com/96va

With a message sent from his verified Twitter account

Oh, the irony

13 minutes ago, Melchett said:

The problem with this is that ordinary people who aren’t freakin’ loons, generally have better things to do than post on social media.

Most of my ordinary friends are still on face ache, as they were on friends reunited and others before. Me and a guy who I was at school with are even both on instawhore. We each posted a picture of our lunches, said hi and went off and found better things to do and pretty much never went back (except for some low level cyber stalking). It’s not that they were driven off by the SJW censoring loons, it’s just that they got bored, realised it was a waste of time and wandered off.

Yes and no.

FB is incredibly useful for geo-dispersed networks of friends and relatives, and also for social groups (such as sports groups) where not everyone will see a club noticeboard.   It also, for many people, is a primary source of news and opinions.

If there was a non biased form of Fb and twitter, the overthrow of the globalist movement would be even faster.

I'm not sure Kim Dotcom is the best person to front any such exercise, as he's a pretty dodgy character. On the other hand, he has the balls to defy (but not necessarily overcome) any amount of pressure from incumbents and even law enforcement. If my understanding is correct, he has been screwed over by the system in the past (not withstanding he was doing dodgy stuff which attracted attention), so would have the motivation to poke the establishment in the eye.

However, even if he scraped this motley crew together, I don't really see how he is going to succeed. For sure, someone is going to topple facebook eventually, with a proposition more appealing to the next generation, but "privacy", "data security" and "independence from big evil corporations" has already been tried, and it wasn't enough of a USP to create critical mass (I'm thinking of Diaspora).

I have to say, I love the idea of the internet as a tool of self-sufficiency and independence from controlling forces, but I have no idea how to reverse the current trajectory, which seems to be diametrically opposed to that. There are some areas where those ideas are progressing slowly, though: I'm a big fan of free software, where (at the cost of a bit of inconvenience and the occasional political fire-storm), you can have some very capable tools with which you can make a living. Philosophically, I'd be over the moon if a decent crypto currency emerged (as a currency, and as a store of wealth, that is, rather than as another gambling addicts' plaything). I never used the Silk Road, but I was rooting for its success. The cypherpunk "movement" had some interesting rhetoric back in the day, and maybe it's time to try to whip up some political fervour around those ideas. In an age of control, restricted choices and many people disparaging "millennials" (or whatever the generation after are called), "freedom" could be a great rallying cry again.

Of course, the problem with all idealistic causes is that the young or gullible flock to them, and then some middle-aged bastard takes control and leads them to their antithesis. Maybe we should just contribute a little to other people's freedom where we can, and hope all the little bits eventually add up to something; just giving up on the So-Called BBC, or dropping current social media, or sending in a bug report for xmgrace or xfce feels like a start. Does anyone want to set up a Diaspora server?

14 hours ago, Melchett said:

hush now, there there.

You don't have to be a loon to hate censorship.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

It's like having your news, politics, opinions and sports delivered by Heat magazine.

That said, it is handy for showing up which of your acquaintances are actually a bit mental.

Seriously does anyone use it for that?

That would be like taking the word of the self opiniated loud mouth in the office or pub as verifiable truth.

I use it to show what I eat when I'm away :D (not really)

Edited by sleepwello'nights

14 hours ago, BurntBread said:

I'm not sure Kim Dotcom is the best person to front any such exercise,

Sometimes you need someone like Kim Dotcom to put their weight behind something like this.

I worry though that with him on board, it may struggle to get off the ground.

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

Sometimes you need someone like Kim Dotcom to put their weight behind something like this.

I worry though that with him on board, it may struggle to get off the ground.

So, what you are saying is that Assange, Snowden and our very own @ccc will have to do the ‘heavy lifting’?

Posted (edited)

Having an alternative social media platform that can't be censored is a good idea, but the problem lies in "reaching the masses" who will stay on the mainstream platforms, there is no point propagating alternative views to a small echo chamber.

Edited by WorkingPoor

4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Having an alternative social media platform that can't be censored is a good idea, but the problem lies in "reaching the masses" who will stay on the mainstream platforms, there is no point propagating alternative views to a small echo chamber.

Yep. Look at Minds.com and Gab.ai, painted as 'Alt-Right' by the media so normies stay well away for fear of being labeled.

21 hours ago, BurntBread said:

Of course, the problem with all idealistic causes is that the young or gullible flock to them, and then some middle-aged bastard takes control and leads them to their antithesis.

Good post :Old:

8 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Seriously does anyone use it for that?

That would be like taking the word of the self opiniated loud mouth in the office or pub as verifiable truth.

They individually might not do it but Facebook et al is certainly trying to influence them for whatever agenda is their flavour of the month...or being paid for.

I always laugh when some Facebook gonk is asked to make a statement saying that they do none of the above. To me that's like the CEO of McDonalds saying that they don't sell burgers to the public.