• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wahoo

Why is it so 'EFFING' painful going to a newspaper site

I avoid clicking any link to a newspaper. They drive me mental. They take ages to load; they have stupid side banners which move up and down with the curser, and they have endless windows opening up with stupid fucking adverts.....even with pop-ups disabled.   Even RT has become an effing pain. The front page is ok...but click beyond it and it's a 3 minute wait while all the shit downloads.

What's the reason behind this annoyance?  Is my computer just unable to cope with these 'amazing must visit sites' ?  Or are they doing this purposely because the cnuts want us to go out and buy one of their boring bits of paper.

Not surprising people are avoiding News Papers in droves.   I hope, like the Grauniad they all go bust.

1 minute ago, Wahoo said:

I avoid clicking any link to a newspaper. They drive me mental. They take ages to load; they have stupid side banners which move up and down with the curser, and they have endless windows opening up with stupid fucking adverts.....even with pop-ups disabled.   Even RT has become an effing pain. The front page is ok...but click beyond it and it's a 3 minute wait while all the shit downloads.

What's the reason behind this annoyance?  Is my computer just unable to cope with these 'amazing must visit sites' ?  Or are they doing this purposely because the cnuts want us to go out and buy one of their boring bits of paper.

Not surprising people are avoiding News Papers in droves.   I hope, like the Grauniad they all go bust.

Epic rant there wahoo. 

Agree.  Local,rags are the worst for this, so much so that I can't be bothered to visit them. 

It's worse on a tablet touch-screen mate.

You start scrolling down, and then the click-bait they stick exactly where they know your finger will stop kicks off another 3 minutes of pop-ups and crappy stuff like "15 Celebrities You Didn't Know Owned Toc-H Lamps" or some such shite.

"25 Historical Photos That Will Amaze You" was a recent one that underwhelmed me.

They certainly were historical - in that it'd be just as friggin' quick to see them on your screen via a 14.4K modem...!

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

It's worse on a tablet touch-screen mate.

You start scrolling down, and then the click-bait they stick exactly where they know your finger will stop kicks off another 3 minutes of pop-ups and crappy stuff like "15 Celebrities You Didn't Know Owned Toc-H Lamps" or some such shite.

"25 Historical Photos That Will Amaze You" was a recent one that underwhelmed me.

They certainly were historical - in that it'd be just as friggin' quick to see them on your screen via a 14.4K modem...!

XYY

You are Spy and I claim my five pounds 

Never seen a problem, but then I have every kind of ad/pop-up blocker going loaded in my browser.

If they block you because you are blocking their ads, I go elsewhere. News is a commodity.

What @davidg said really.  I once visited some crappy local paper site without one and it was utterly useable - all kinds of shite floating around the screen. Adblock on, and bliss. 

7 hours ago, One percent said:

You are Spy and I claim my five pounds 

No hesnot!

And agree. On a slow tablet all of the local newspaper sites are site.

There's a few that link to a question website - online survey type - that have been set up wrong so never complete. The site sits there, locked.

The '15 things you never knew about North Korea' shows some korea lady sldier with big boobs. When I click on it I never see the big boobed soldiers.

The worst one for me is the TheEconomist. Despite having a subscription, half the page gets this massive fall down 'Subscribe' ad.

Its fucking insane.

Google could kill this overnight by allowing extensions to work with mobile browsers. Firefox for mobile is the only one that allows you to install them. Give it a try.

You can use a filtering proxy if you're at home and route all traffic through that. I use this one called Privoxy running on a windows VM on a small itx box. You could do the same on a Raspberry PI which would be an interesting project. 

Blocking Statistics:
42750 out of 183770 requests have been blocked, which equals a block rate of 23.26%.

Note that the statistics currently don't work properly for reused connections where only the last request gets counted. You may want to look into Privoxy-Log-Parser's --statistics option, which doesn't have this limitation.

In my case almost a quarter of requests get blocked.

Edited by ThePiltdownMan

They make no money from online because they've never grasped the subscriber and daily email update methods. Or the power of free.

So instead they ruin their sites with ads and in the case of the guardian, begging letters.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

They make no money from online because they've never grasped the subscriber and daily email update methods. Or the power of free.

So instead they ruin their sites with ads and in the case of the guardian, begging letters.

I really enjoy the begging letter - gives me a nice warm glow.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

.... for the cost of a cup of coffee you could save the grauniad apparently .... hey ho, that will be a double espresso please

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

The end of consumerism, at least for dosbodders. Working together and through not spending money, we can bring the whole system down. All 157 of us  B|

Not for me, I bought a new bicycle pump today, and I'm seriously considering going to the cinema at the weekend.

44 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Not for me, I bought a new bicycle pump today, and I'm seriously considering going to the cinema at the weekend.

Careful there with all the financial splurging. xD

I fucking hate most newspaper sites - as you say, full of shite, sidebanners, clickbait, annoying popups.

Luckily adblock (on my mobile too), ghostery minimises all that shite.

18 minutes ago, Flirtygirty said:

Turn off JavaScript.

If you have Firefox, get the NoScript add on. Allows you to selectively allow or prevent scripts running.