• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

In a rush and can’t find a parking space? This is the answer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5811921/Homeowner-finds-strangers-car-parked-driveway.html

woman who found a stranger's car blocking the driveway outside her house was told by police 'Sorry, the law's not on your side'.

Natalie Robbins, from Hull, was warned by Humberside Police not try to move the car unless she was 100 per cent sure it would not be damaged.

The outraged woman was told the driver's rights came above hers - she could be charged with criminal damage if she took the law into her own hands.

She was told that she could move the car but not damage it in any way, even though it was on her property.

your home is no longer your castle. 

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5811921/Homeowner-finds-strangers-car-parked-driveway.html

woman who found a stranger's car blocking the driveway outside her house was told by police 'Sorry, the law's not on your side'.

Natalie Robbins, from Hull, was warned by Humberside Police not try to move the car unless she was 100 per cent sure it would not be damaged.

The outraged woman was told the driver's rights came above hers - she could be charged with criminal damage if she took the law into her own hands.

She was told that she could move the car but not damage it in any way, even though it was on her property.

So it was blocking the driveway outside her house and then on her property.  So which is it? 

This type of thing has always gone on. If I was in her situation I'd bribe someone with a tow truck to remove it an place it on a road with double yellow lines.

4 -8 years ago it used to happen to me in a residential car part outside my flat. Whether or not there was a football match on (having lived close to Norwich City FC).

I let one inconsiderate fool's tyres down once and left a message ' not to park your crappy Fiat in my designate parking ever again' :D. The offending Fiat Punto had one of those disabled blue badges in the windscreen and I was sorely tempted to call to ascertain whether or not it was genuine.

My decision to have access to a forklift truck at home seems to make more and more sense every day.

16 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

This type of thing has always gone on. If I was in her situation I'd bribe someone with a tow truck to remove it an place it on a road with double yellow lines.

4 -8 years ago it used to happen to me in a residential car part outside my flat. Whether or not there was a football match on (having lived close to Norwich City FC).

I let one inconsiderate fool's tyres down once and left a message ' not to park your crappy Fiat in my designate parking ever again' :D. The offending Fiat Punto had one of those disabled blue badges in the windscreen and I was sorely tempted to call to ascertain whether or not it was genuine.

You're right having a Fiat is definitely the worst offence.

6 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Put an English flag on it and tweet Channel 4 news to let them know how offensive the car is being. They'll put pressure on the police to get it moved.

Tell the police the owner of the car is being Islamophobic by stopping you from driving to the mosque for your daily prayers. Plod will soon move it and charge the owner with a hate crime.

It'd be funny if it weren't so true!

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

The Po Po aren't exactly consistent on this. The farmer in this sounds like a total cunty bell end but they seemed to be happy to let him get away with childishly wrecking some young lad's car.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266319/Angry-farmer-rips-open-car-skidded-ditch-forklift--hands-shocked-driver-250-damaging-fence.html

He could put some boulders in to protect his fence.

37 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Valve removal tool :) No damage but funny as hell if he has one of those mobile pumps, spends ages waiting for it to do its thing and then it goes down as soon as he detaches the pipe.

I was on a works outing a few years ago and our coach got blocked in by a badly parked car. Enquiries at the hotel yielded nothing, so a group of us just 'bounced' it out of the way. If someone parked in my drive without permission, I would just get some mates round and do the same, leave it out in the road and let Plod deal with it. 

If it was me I would probably have been tempted to park behind them blocking them in..  then see what they had to say when it came to moving it.

I’d be wanting to make sure it was recorded somehow to prove they had damaged YOUR car if they tried to move it.

That or you could probably just put a wheel clamp on it.

4 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I was on a works outing a few years ago and our coach got blocked in by a badly parked car. Enquiries at the hotel yielded nothing, so a group of us just 'bounced' it out of the way. If someone parked in my drive without permission, I would just get some mates round and do the same, leave it out in the road and let Plod deal with it. 

I've seen this happen a few times at lifeboat stations where they need to get the boat out.

They're fairly practised at it because these staions are often in areas of narrow roads and sometimes, owing to tidal conditions, the boat needs to be launched at a different location.  I've even seen them have to do it to the first crew's cars because they've gone out in the first boat, the tide's dropped, and a second launch is required.

I knew somebody who got this a few times; she lived in Essex which was fairly close to an annual air show where the parking was notoriously poor.  Once the people who'd parked on her drive breezily apologised for doing so when they picked up their car later that day because there was "absolutely nowhere to park".

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Daily Mail in "Cleethorpes is Hull" shocker. Maybe she's originally from Yorkshire and couldn't help but tell them. 

Smash the windows in and then claim there was a dog expiring inside. Tell them you'd dragged it's limp body out of the car, given it mouth to mouth and then the ungrateful little bastard did a runner. 

Would disassembling the car very carefully count as damaging it?

When the owner returns you could give them a cryptic set of clues as to where the parts were hidden.

Posted (edited)

It's a stolen vehicle - maybe somebody saw some lads jump out and run away.  It could even be a robbery getaway car.

In any event it's a hate crime causing offence.

Edited by twocents