• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Soft lad

TV License

If my friend cancels her direct debit for TV License will it affect her credit rating?

would it go down as missed payments?

8 minutes ago, Soft lad said:

If my friend cancels her direct debit for TV License will it affect her credit rating?

I cancelled mine - told them I didn't need to pay it anymore. Didn't even consider it affecting my credit rating.  Does she still need a TV licence?

1 minute ago, whocares said:

I cancelled mine - told them I didn't need to pay it anymore. Didn't even consider it affecting my credit rating.  Does she still need a TV licence?

no, but on the form to cancel it asks for new address which she doesn't wish to disclose.

Posted (edited)

Really? I think the mistake she made was to say she was "moving address" as opposed to just  "not needing a licence anymore"? I just stayed put and cancelled, and then didn't have to tell them anything when I (later) moved on! 

Edited by whocares

5 hours ago, Soft lad said:

no, but on the form to cancel it asks for new address which she doesn't wish to disclose.

Put down a fictitious address in a foreign country.

It will depend on whether Capita have managed to convince some sucker to be a so-called "enforcement officer" in your area.  This is actually just a member of the public with no power whatsoever who has to get 37 conviction statements a week to stay in the "job".  Don't answer the door to such people and if you do don't say anything or sign anything.  Their sole purpose is to get you to sign a confession statement that will be used to prosecute you and sell you a tv licence.

I haven't had a tv licence for 13 years and I think I've had 4 "We said we'd call" cards through the door in that time.

4 years free licence free now. 

I get a red letter to 'the householder' about 4 times a year, never had a knock at the door.

They can foxtrot Oscar.

9 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

4 years free licence free now. 

I get a red letter to 'the householder' about 4 times a year, never had a knock at the door.

They can foxtrot Oscar.

Mine are addressed to "The Legal Occupier" whoever that is.

45 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I've decided not to pay my TV licence...

Does anyone know when I can expect the first person to knock on my door? 

I have to admit it feels good not paying money to an organisation that regularly tells me how stupid and racist I am for voting Brexit....

For me it seems morally wrong to be forced to give money to a company that then gives Gary Lineker £2.5m a year to present football. 

You'll get letters for 2 years and maybe a phone call from some c**t whos trying to put the shitters up you.

ONe day someone will come and do a TV survey at your door. just inquiring what programs you watch.

The the man will come to check your house.

Ask him for his warrant and under which laws he seems to gain entry....then tell him to f**k off.

We've been licence free for 4 years - we only watch Netflix, Kodi, Showbox & Terrarium etc. now through a firestick.

No adverts and we only watch films, documentaries and shows (Westworld, GoT Etc.

Very liberating being free of adverts, soap operas, 'Reality' TV and all that nonsense.

We've had loads of letters which we ignore and we had some geezer from Capita knock on the door once - My wife promply told him to do one.

6 hours ago, Soft lad said:

Put Skripal's address in Salisbury down they'll be less enthusiastic about going round knocking on doors afterwards.

7 hours ago, Soft lad said:

I think that there is only an adverse impact if you cancel the direct debit without telling the So-Called BBC first because then they will try to take one month's money and the bank will refuse so it will be recorded as a failed payment.

Per the many other licence free heroes on this thread I have not had one for four years (fully legitimately) and the only contact have been those "we called but you were out" cards that they pay meter readers to out through the door.

Their implicit threat rather weakened by my being actually in each time and there being not so much as a knock on the door.

Posted (edited)

22 years license free

Numerous (hundreds) of letters, the funniest go along the lines of:

"You haven't replied to any of our letters. You are now scheduled for a visit. Will you be in on 18th June ? An enforcement officer may* visit you"

*FFS

Edited by Hopeful

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think the most intimidating one (to a frail pensioner living alone say) is the court one; "if" you have to make a court appearance then legal representative, called to give evidence, criminal record etc. etc.

I have heard of TV-less OAPs (aged under 75) paying the licence fee despite not requiring one because they have been so scared by the threatening letters.

And when you see the people who are convicted and fined and given a criminal record, and there are so many that it rarely gets reported, they are 90% women because they are more likely to be in and more likely to trust the TV inspector so more likely to incriminate themselves.

Good old friendly Auntie Beeb, demanding money with menaces from women and scared pensioners. 

What a great national institution :)

Yes they are 100% scum, on a par with the bullying and intimidatory letters penned by the other scum, the private parking companies like Parking Eye*, letters littered with threats with the word 'may' interspersed everywhere.

I have a wierd dream. To be in a reataurant and find myself dining opposite a private parking company employee - you know pleasant conversation like "What do you do". I just want the opportunity to stand up and tip their hot soup into their lap.

I've been done a few times with ridiculous fines for ridiculous misdemeanors, (like paying for my time when I left rather than on arrival as I had to get money) and I've never paid the fines, but they extort from less robust and less well off people. Scum Scum SCUM

Edited by Hopeful

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

22 years license free

Numerous (hundreds) of letters, the funniest go along the lines of:

"You haven't replied to any of our letters. You are now scheduled for a visit. Will you be in on 18th June ? An enforcement officer may* visit you"

*FFS

7 years at my current address* and the dipshits don't even know my name yet :) Just ignore the letters, if anyone comes to visit don't tell them anything and ask them politely to "get orf my land!". Job done.

My TV is in full view of the front garden/road, as the lady who came round was keen to point out. "So?" said I.

Funny thing is many otherwise reasonable people STILL believe you need a licence just for owning a TV! Hook, line, sinker.

* and 5 years before that in rented.

Edited by Cosmic Apple

Posted (edited)

Yes, I think a real problem might be WAGS. You'll get the old 'oh, I don't think I'd be able to lie' shit that implies it's some morally alien concept that's, in any case, too technically difficult to master, at short notice, as they're so unused to it.

Despite being so unused to the concept of lying they'll have been convincingly telling everyone they're 39 for, at least, the last five birthdays and routinely quoting their dress size as two less than reality.

Edited by SNACR

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I've decided not to pay my TV licence...

Does anyone know when I can expect the first person to knock on my door? 

I have to admit it feels good not paying money to an organisation that regularly tells me how stupid and racist I am for voting Brexit....

For me it seems morally wrong to be forced to give money to a company that then gives Gary Lineker £2.5m a year to present football. 

i cancled 18 months ago no visits yet,i did get a few emails before xmas but nothing since.a friend has even given me there netflix details if i fancy a change from kodi 

2 hours ago, the gardener said:

18 months+ licence free now. About 20 letters though they are coming less frequently now.

Two visits. First guy immediately said my name at me upon my opening the door. I replied"Who are you?". His answer was to shout my name back at me so I shouted "Who are you?" back at him whilst leaning in towards his face. He turned and walked away.

Second guy - the wife answered the door and engaged in conversation with him. From the kitchen I saw the guy show ID and heard TV licensing being mentioned. I raced up the hallway and slammed the door in his face. Then tore a strip off the wife for identifying herself to a stranger at the door.

Your biggest danger will be the wife/girlfriend who will need training on dealing with these people. In general wives/girlfriends are far too polite and compliant with perceived figures of authority and will end up confessing and incriminating themselves and you to random strangers who turn up at the door. Christ knows why they are like this, if I ask the wife to do something all hell breaks loose. With me she is obstinate and awkward and a total pain in the arse, everybody else and it's roll over and do as she's told.

I've known several women like this. I think it's some sort of evolutionary tactic to avoid them being killed by aggressive men from other tribes. With their nearest and dearest they know they are not going to be killed so any attempt at what they perceive as control just results in annoyance. 

Anyway, back to OT: I lived abroad for several years then when I got back to the UK, I moved to my new place and got a letter asking about the TV licence. I filled in some declaration form online that I did not have a TV set in the  house, and since then (nearly two years ago)  have never had any letters, visits etc. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Anyway, back to OT: I lived abroad for several years then when I got back to the UK, I moved to my new place and got a letter asking about the TV licence. I filled in some declaration form online that I did not have a TV set in the  house, and since then (nearly two years ago)  have never had any letters, visits etc. 

While that all seems fine and dandy, i dont have to go to any trouble or fill in any forms declaring I dont have a freezer full of anthrax, so why should I have to go to any trouble at all to declare Im not buying what the So-Called BBC is selling?

Edited by Melchett

3 minutes ago, Melchett said:

While that all seems fine and dandy, i dont have to go to any trouble or fill in any forms declaring I dont have a freezer full of anthrax, so why should I have to go to any trouble at all to declare Im not buying what the So-Called BBC is selling?

You have no obligation it just makes it less hassle if you don`t have a need for a TV licence but if you were to be walking on both sides of the fence it would be advisable not to do the online thing 

3 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

IIRC the declaration is only valid for 2 years ,then you need to do it again