• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Long time lurking

Is your phone listening to you

I walked past a private clinic yesterday advertising IVF services outside with a huge billboard close-up on a pregnant belly with a man and woman's hands joined on top. I don't know how many women must have a nasty moment every day they have to walk past, or take a longer route just to avoid it. They have a right to use emotional impact advertising, I still think they're insensitive cunts.

Soak up a little paranoia until some marketing department finds it convenient to make a statement, why not. If there is such a thing as micro-aggressions, it's the constant nudges and pokes from people trying to sell you something.

Test it, on an android phone. Without making any references to the real nature of the test, discuss, say, going to eat at a particular restaurant with a friend with your phone on the table between you, switched on but not activated. Choose a restaurant in your area where the the first 3 letters of the name could be the start of millions of different phrases or sentences. Wait a few minutes, talk about something else. Give NO indication in your conversation that you are testing anything.  Then open google, type the first 3 letters, the restaurant name will be one of the top prompts,  probably the first.

It doesn’t work if you have a strong accent, I noticed, and is more certain if you’re in a tourist area, so the algorithms aren’t perfect but presumably improving all the time. 

Google is a bloody sinister organization, IMO. But at the same time, convenient. My take would be that if you ever want to disappear off grid, do as XYY suggests and pulp your smartphone 6 months before, and refuse to talk to anyone carrying one. As it stands I’ve nothing to hide so I like the convenience, but that could change. 

Definitely.

Despite never searching, looking, listening or playing, anything by this artist. History of nothing but Hungarian classical composers, German operas, and Italian disco, my Youtube prompted a suggested artist. 

Kacey Musgraves.

Two days previously I had a long conversation on a train about contemporary US female singer-songwriters, majoring on Kacey Musgraves.

I've posted before about adverts popping up about things I haven't searched for but have spoken about eg Leeds University and Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS Motorsport F1 team.

It's real.

Image result for manics richie it's real  

It's attention seeking people that have that theory because no one in real life is paying them enough attention!

---

But yeah, if you have any importance, always code your important conversations.

Could it be that Google links you with the person you've been talking to, and they're done a search on the discussion?

I know that my wife gets adverts for whatever I've been looking at in the internet, without any discussion of it out loud.

Yes it does. Dipsy junior and I were having a conversation about a particular item of clothing she had bought (not online) a few days before. I went to google to find something a few minutes later and the item came up in their adverts. Turn microphone off?

51 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Yes it does. Dipsy junior and I were having a conversation about a particular item of clothing she had bought (not online) a few days before. I went to google to find something a few minutes later and the item came up in their adverts. Turn microphone off?

That's going to make telephoning someone a bit awkward. 

The best I can come up with is to invent a soundproofed wallet-style phone cover - maybe one exists?,

It will still know where you are at all times and will listen to you (and probably film you) when the cover is open, but at least it's not listening to every conversation you have. 

I have heard that there is a way to view or listen back to all these alleged conversions in gmail Buried somewhere.  Anyway I wasn't able to confirm this as not sure it is available through the Gmail app on phone when I challenged the accuser to prove this.  Honestly I was pretty surprised and these ideas that advertisers target you based on what you say almost smack of conspiracy.  However I would say it's definitely possible in the future.  Maybe time is coming when the AI can simply tell you what you need based on nothing more than observing your digital footprints 

For all the effort does any of this advertising work though?  This endless desire to target.

It may still happen infrequently now but there used to be loads of sites that were one keystroke away from popular sites, e.g. dosnods.co.uk, and when you landed on them they had a string of adverts for buying clothes, shoes, cars whatever.

Now did anybody in the whole history of the internet, rather than just realising they had made a mistake and pressing the back arrow, think "While I'm here I may as well buy a scarf, some designer trainers, and a Ford Fiesta"?

I very much doubt it, and expect that this targeted advertising is suffering the same fate.  Unwelcome or intrusive advertising makes you less likely to buy a product, not more.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

For all the effort does any of this advertising work though?  This endless desire to target.

It may still happen infrequently now but there used to be loads of sites that were one keystroke away from popular sites, e.g. dosnods.co.uk, and when you landed on them they had a string of adverts for buying clothes, shoes, cars whatever.

Now did anybody in the whole history of the internet, rather than just realising they had made a mistake and pressing the back arrow, think "While I'm here I may as well buy a scarf, some designer trainers, and a Ford Fiesta"?

I very much doubt it, and expect that this targeted advertising is suffering the same fate.  Unwelcome or intrusive advertising makes you less likely to buy a product, not more.

I have more in mind the kind of AI development using big data portrayed in the film "Ex Machina", where the capacity to read human faces and control their emotions via various triggers is developed by secretly recording people using their smartphones at a global level - billions of faces/voices  filmed/recorded and correlated with what they are seeing or doing. 

29 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I have more in mind the kind of AI development using big data portrayed in the film "Ex Machina", where the capacity to read human faces and control their emotions via various triggers is developed by secretly recording people using their smartphones at a global level - billions of faces/voices  filmed/recorded and correlated with what they are seeing or doing. 

Yes, that is quite scary - the Chinese identification of people into social and asocial with the definition being based upon the views of the current regieme.

So there to be an open borders globalist in China would have you marked down as an asocial whereas in Britain to be not an open borders globalist would mean you were an asocial.

There is no objective definition of good and bad; merely does your ideology match that of the rulers?

It's all aimed at putting curbs on freedom of speech (offensive, hate speech, against our values as an organisation) and ultimately freedom of thought.  The old joke of whoever you vote for the government still gets in can be re-rendered as whoever you vote for they all share the same narrow ideology so nothing will change.

I would have thought it's obvious if using services like 'ok google' they will be using your data, it's in the t&c's and clear from the permissions required for the app to work. I've got a sony android and it's an excellent, the audio on voice calls is so clear, texting is much faster than old school phones and it gets a load of use as an mp3 player, but the 4G / wifi / gps is more or less always turned off. It serves no purpose and flattens the battery, can't see the need to be always  online when out and about. I also uninstall where possible or turn off most of the preinstalled nonsense apps. Surely users expect any data they feed into an android device to go to google, that's the point of android. Can't imagine what they  make of the intermittent data they get from me xD

I forget the name (Alexa maybe) but I am astounded by those people who put that listening gadget into their front room.  Obviously nobody on here would be paying for their own personal telescreen to watch over them at all times but I would be seriously uncomfortable about visiting somebody who had one of them set up.

It used to be that you could wrap your phone in tin foil creating a Faraday Cage for it, then ring it and the phone should not ring because the signal cannot get through. But then they started making the aerial part of the case itself and hence wrapping tin foil around it only results in giving it a bigger aerial.

There are so many other things in mobile phones these days that we have no control over and really have no idea whether they are switch on or not or what they are doing.

Numerous chips such as the GPS chip but also other chips that we simply have no idea what they are capable of or what they are doing. Ditto the numerous apps.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I forget the name (Alexa maybe) but I am astounded by those people who put that listening gadget into their front room.  Obviously nobody on here would be paying for their own personal telescreen to watch over them at all times but I would be seriously uncomfortable about visiting somebody who had one of them set up.

I bet the various devices like Alexa, etc, will be the onlydevices that keep on working and working year after year no matter how many updates they have - unlike laptops, smarpthones, smart TV's. The information they gather from those devices will outweight the need to force people to keep upgrading them.

I have just ordered a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 phone from China earlier this week. A friend told me that she will no longer send me whatsapp messages if I own a Chinese phone, despite her own Samsung most likley having been made in China and her partner's OneplusOne having been made in China... plus the numerous apps, not least Whatsapp, that is sucking in information along with Google, Samsung serives, etc, etc.

Posted (edited)

I searched on Amazon for some handy US Army lightweight can openers for camping - models P-38 and P-51.

I use Noscript, Adblocker, etc.

But within 2 hours Facebook was recommending a website about WW2 P-38 Lightning and P-51 Mustang aircraft to me .

We live in a panopticon.

Edited by Happy Renting

11 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I searched on Amazon for some handy US Army lightweight can openers for camping - models P-38 and P-51.

I use Noscript, Adblocker, etc.

But within 2 hours Facebook was recommending a website about WW2 P-38 Lightning and P-51 Mustang aircraft to me .

We live in a panopticon.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Facebook-know-what-I-looked-at-on-Amazon-More-generally-how-do-two-sites-share-cookie-data

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This may be a simplistic argument but i would say yes it works , otherwise why do it ,companies are paying for that advertisement/service 

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

This may be a simplistic argument but i would say yes it works , otherwise why do it ,companies are paying for that advertisement/service 

Prejudice rather than analysis?

If everyone else is doing it we should too?

Maybe newspaper advertising would work better, maybe radio advertising.  Intrusive advertising (e.g. ten seconds before a Vevo pop video) just annoys me which is surely not the aim.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Prejudice rather than analysis?

If everyone else is doing it we should too?

Maybe newspaper advertising would work better, maybe radio advertising.  Intrusive advertising (e.g. ten seconds before a Vevo pop video) just annoys me which is surely not the aim.

It has the same effect on me, but i think we are in the minority ,on the whole why would these things exist if they were no use,? they could be as you say sold to people by people who say they are a necessity because all your competition is using it  if so they will disappear into the ether at some point if the customers see no return for their money 

I doubt they really are bugging your voice conversation. Can't be sure obviously. Much more likely to be mining your and your linked people's browsing history. 

I have various technical counter measures against that which mostly work. When occasionally  I do get hit with a suspicious advert I know I missed something or a browser privacy  extension needs updating. 

23 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I doubt they really are bugging your voice conversation. Can't be sure obviously. Much more likely to be mining your and your linked people's browsing history. 

I have various technical counter measures against that which mostly work. When occasionally  I do get hit with a suspicious advert I know I missed something or a browser privacy  extension needs updating. 

No, I am pretty sure they are voice mining.

I was in a pub last month discussing an obscure soviet scientific research program.  That night when I logged in FB, there was a 'recommended for you' link to a documentary about the same research program.  It is on a subject nothing to do with any other aspects of my work of private life.....:ph34r: