• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Frugal Grocery Shopping

I get most of my shopping from Tesco, for convenience sake since it's on my commute to work and I use their delivery service to do a 'big shop' once every few weeks.

However being in there all the time there's usually a few things that are heavily discounted, like 50% off or more. When these are things that I use, and they don't go off quickly (washing up liquid, canned foods, toothpaste, shampoo ect...) I try to stock up while they're cheap; buy enough of them at 50% off so that I don't need to buy them until they're half price again. Cause I'm a DOSBODS skinflint.

So I figured there must be a website where you can set an alert for price changes of the stuff you buy and found this: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk

Dunno how well it works yet, have set a few alerts for stuff on Tesco and will see if it works as expected. If anyone has any other websites that they know of that do the same thing, or do it better, let me know.

I take it you know that Lidl usually has four half price or near offers each weekend.

You can buy six per customer and that usually carries me across to the next time they discount that product.

This weekend it's grated cheese, washing liquid, fabric conditioner and white wine.

2 minutes ago, JackieO said:

One word...

Aldi :)

Wasn't even aware they were in Northern Ireland! Will check them out.

I'm certainly happy to shop somewhere other than Tesco if I can save a few bob.

Wilko/B&M/Home Bargains for branded stuff that doesn't go off like washing up liquid/canned goods/soap etc.

I prefer Lidl to Aldi round here, the local Aldi is a bit crap.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I take it you know that Lidl usually has four half price or near offers each weekend.

You can buy six per customer and that usually carries me across to the next time they discount that product.

This weekend it's grated cheese, washing liquid, fabric conditioner and white wine.

No I don't - there's a Lidl in the city center and I'm in the city center most weekends anyway so will add it to my list of places to check.

Just now, Cosmic Apple said:

Wilko/B&M/Home Bargains for branded stuff that doesn't go off like washing up liquid/canned goods/soap etc.

I prefer Lidl to Aldi round here, the local Aldi is a bit crap.

I've got both and they tend to go in cycles, a couple of years ago I was regular at Aldi but have gone back to Lidl.

Overall they're pretty similar tbh.

Posted (edited)

Been using the website for a while now. Great for branded stuff and find that iceland is pretty good on that front. Hygene products for the most part we end up using Savers.

All fresh food is bought on yellow stick at various supermarkets. This is a great way to save money.

I not sure if it's any good but I did see this website being touted on hotdeals - www.checkoutsmart.com

8 minutes ago, JackieO said:

One word...

Aldi :)

A bit too far for me to walk sadly.

How much do people spend on their monthly groceries? My partner and I spend on average £160 per month.

Edited by Admiral Pepe

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

No I don't - there's a Lidl in the city center and I'm in the city center most weekends anyway so will add it to my list of places to check.

It's on their website, super weekend offers, and gets updated each Monday.  I won't give you the link as it will be tailored to my store and offers vary slightly around the country.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've got both and they tend to go in cycles, a couple of years ago I was regular at Aldi but have gone back to Lidl.

Overall they're pretty similar tbh.

4 local Lidl stores are purpose built and recent, where as the two Aldi's are old, cramped and generally shabby/poorly laid out, generally packed with asians families clogging the narrow isle. I think it depends a lot on your area, and the area the store is in.

Posted (edited)

I eat a wide variety of fruit and vegetables each day, so my grocery bill is higher than it could be if I ate plainer stuff.

But then again in some cases it's cheaper to buy raw ingredients than pre-packaged stuff. Oats, beans, and sweet potatoes make up a hefty % of the diet and they're reasonably cheap.

I get my bok choy from the Asian supermaket which is a cheap way to get it. Fucking hipster that I am. Cheap way to get spices too if you're the sort who actually cooks recipes (I don't).

Need to get my kiwis somewhere other than Tesco though. I'm paying a fucking fortune for kiwis at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's on their website, super weekend offers, and gets updated each Monday.  I won't give you the link as it will be tailored to my store and offers vary slightly around the country.

Cool thanks will check that out.

Edited by JoeDavola

Wilkos great for cosmetics, toiletries, hair care products and the like.

A paddle brush that would set you back £6 in Waitrose is £1.50 in Wilko

Got 2 cod fillet packs from Sainsbury's last week for 99p down from £4 - £4.00! Filled the freezer. Week before I got a load of organic chicken legs/thighs from M&S for £1 down from £4.00. But Aldi is very good all the time but a long way away from me.

The tin foil is so good and a bargain in Wilko's that they were sold out for a few months.

I will give a nod to M&S though as their 3 for £10 pack of meats is often a very good deal if you chose wisely.

12 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I eat a wide variety of fruit and vegetables each day, so my grocery bill is higher than it could be if I ate plainer stuff.

But then again in some cases it's cheaper to buy raw ingredients than pre-packaged stuff. Oats, beans, and sweet potatoes make up a hefty % of the diet and they're reasonably cheap.

I get my bok choy from the Asian supermaket which is a cheap way to get it. Fucking hipster that I am. Cheap way to get spices too if you're the sort who actually cooks recipes (I don't).

Need to get my kiwis somewhere other than Tesco though. I'm paying a fucking fortune for kiwis at the moment.

We try to eat a balanced diet and like you make use of beans, lentils etc. Make all our lunches at home. One or two veggie dinners across the week, one fish and the rest meat. A slow cooker is great for getting two meals and a lunch out of it.

Spices I buy online in bulk, very cheap.

I don't buy much fruit outside of bananas unless it's on offer. Can usually get strawberries on yellow sticker this time of year though. Or they always have those rip off pre-packed fruit pots that they sell to the lunch crowd heavily discounted at the end of the day.

I love nuts but I've cut them out (other crisps/snacks too). I would go through a bag of cashews in one go, it wasn't good for my FIRE goal especially after brexit xD. Now I make things like flapjacks, so cheap, easy and are a great altenrative to anythign shop bought.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I love nuts but I've cut them out (other crisps/snacks too). I would go through a bag of cashews in one go, it wasn't good for my FIRE goal especially after brexit xD. Now I make things like flapjacks, so cheap, easy and are a great altenrative to anythign shop bought.

I have 2 brazil nuts, a couple of walnuts and a about half a dozen almonds every day. Two brazil nuts will give you your RDA of Selenium, which many people are deficient in. The others give you healthy fats, which are important to absorb nutrients e.g. cartenoids from things like carrots, sweet potatoes and spinach.

I also soak them overnight to make them easier to digest.

But you're right, they're best eaten in moderation....no need to....GO NUTS with them!

(I'm here all week folks.)

Edited by JoeDavola

We have a Tesco and M&S Food a short distance away. Its now almost daily that I walk there and buy a couple of items. My favourite range is M&S yellow label. Trouble is if an item is reduced enough I cant resist a bargain and then have to eat more than I would if the items weren't reduced. So my frugality ends up costing me more.

We used to buy meat from M&S, we've tried the 3 for £10. The photo on the packaging always makes the item look so good, now we've decided to buy all our meat and chicken from Costco. I don't know what they do but it is by far the tastiest. 

Tried Lidl on occasion but it involves a car ride and I didn't find their vegetables kept for more than a day or two. Bread was good and their wine.

5 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Been using the website for a while now. Great for branded stuff and find that iceland is pretty good on that front. Hygene products for the most part we end up using Savers.

All fresh food is bought on yellow stick at various supermarkets. This is a great way to save money.

I not sure if it's any good but I did see this website being touted on hotdeals - www.checkoutsmart.com

A bit too far for me to walk sadly.

How much do people spend on their monthly groceries? My partner and I spend on average £160 per month.

£120 a month for 2 people for everything.

5 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I get most of my shopping from Tesco

Best way to save is to work out the routine for making price reductions across the main supermarkets.

Ask a pensioner, male or female, they usually have the inside track.

Take a bit of effort but it's worth it. Some days are better than others.

Nothing beats a double pack of Waitrose Belgian buns for 5p. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Good effort. I thought we were doing well at £160, so still some work to do :D

We eat a lot of wild food.

lobster themidor tonight, pheasant curry tomorrow, salt 'n pepper squid sunday, crab linguini monday, mackerel tuesday, cuttlefish risotto wednesday, mackerel thursday, rinse and repeat

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Men talking about shopping.

No wonder this country is fucked...

XYY

Hunting

Edited by Hopeful

:DKeep your heads down everybody, XYY is on the whisky!

20 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

£120 a month for 2 people for everything.

Is your girlfriend decent looking? Tell her I'll budget 300 quid and I'm a good shag when I can be arsed, which is less frequent these days..