• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Brilliant escapist Television.

I've been watching the "Endeavour" series. Cheesy, nostalgic, added 2000s morality themes, follow-up to the hugely successful "Morse" , with all that baggage it ought to be crap and not enjoyable. But it's not, it's superb. The pilot episode was clever, they laid out the character of the brilliant young detective with the same character flaws as the older Morse really well. The gruff old senior inspector is a really good character too. All the women are beautiful, even the prostitutes, unrealistic even for Oxford.

It's great escapist TV, anyone who liked Morse should enjoy it. 

The funny thing is, the occasional nod to the eventual Morse only makes it weaker -- it stands up on its own pretty well. 

[I appreciate that it wouldn't exist without the nostalgia for Morse driving it into existence]

2 hours ago, dgul said:

The funny thing is, the occasional nod to the eventual Morse only makes it weaker -- it stands up on its own pretty well. 

[I appreciate that it wouldn't exist without the nostalgia for Morse driving it into existence]

Not sure if that was meant for me or not. I wasn't really meaning nostalgia for Morse. I've actually not seen too many of them. I meant nostalgia for the years Endeavor is set in. 

3 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I've been watching the "Endeavour" series. Cheesy, nostalgic, added 2000s morality themes, follow-up to the hugely successful "Morse" , with all that baggage it ought to be crap and not enjoyable. But it's not, it's superb. The pilot episode was clever, they laid out the character of the brilliant young detective with the same character flaws as the older Morse really well. The gruff old senior inspector is a really good character too. All the women are beautiful, even the prostitutes, unrealistic even for Oxford.

Not seen it but I'm a big fan of Sarah and Duck. 

1 hour ago, Uptherebels said:

Not sure if that was meant for me or not. I wasn't really meaning nostalgia for Morse. I've actually not seen too many of them. I meant nostalgia for the years Endeavor is set in. 

Oh, it wasn't meant to be a specific dig at anyone -- just that it actually works well on its own as a historical/nostalgia police drama.  The bits were they reference the future Morse characteristics just seem a bit contrived -- sure, it is a game to try to see the characteristics forming, but if you weren't familiar with Morse that part would seem a bit odd.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

For extra pub quiz points John Thaw's daughter is the Oxford Mail newspaper editor (Abigail Thaw). The late Colin Dexter has made countless cameos in Endeavour. Sheila Hancock played an old crone in one of the later episodes.

Edited by davidg

5 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I call it posh heartbeat.

xD

12 minutes ago, davidg said:

For extra pub quiz points John Thaw's daughter is the Oxford Mail newspaper editor (Abigail Thaw). The late Colin Dexter has made countless cameos in Endeavour. Sheila Hancock played an old crone in one of the later episodes.

I met Colin Dexter years ago in Oxford when I worked for a publishers.

He was an absolutely lovely chap, very chatty, personable and I have a brilliant photo somewhere of him gazing adoringly at my wife's tits.