• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

To tip or not to tip?

Got to give it to Steptoe..  he finds quite clever ways to sell himself to the different demographics.  

I expect it will win him a lot of votes in the large hospitality sector.   Left wing to the core in it’s message of “ you’ve been screwed over..  we’re going to help you and someone else will pay for it”.  

Just now, Libspero said:

Got to give it to Steptoe..  he finds quite clever ways to sell himself to the different demographics.  

I expect it will win him a lot of votes in the large hospitality sector.   Left wing to the core in it’s message of “ you’ve been screwed over..  we’re going to help you and someone else will pay for it”.  

My thoughts as well. But this is clever because, on the face of it, it doesn't actually cost anybody.

6 hours ago, Libspero said:

Id prefer voting for a party that forces the over 60s to wait on the under 30s instead.

Esp. as that beardy cunt will be taxingthe under 30s to pay for the over 60s freestuff

I often give tips. 

“Don’t eat yellow snow”, “always take a brollie when it rains”, “drill a hole in your fridge door to check that the light goes off when you close it”....etc.

Posted (edited)

If Labour got in and made this law I would stop tipping as I would feel I was directly funding supporters of a party whose policies I broadly disagree with

Edited by Fossildog

Has anyone here worked waiting tables? I can't help thinking getting 10% of a bill as a tip soon adds up to a good hourly rate.

How many tables will a waitress serve an hour? About six? If each tables spends £50 and she's getting 10% that's £30 an hour in tips....

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

Has anyone here worked waiting tables? I can't help thinking getting 10% of a bill as a tip soon adds up to a good hourly rate.

How many tables will a waitress serve an hour? About six? If each tables spends £50 and she's getting 10% that's £30 an hour in tips....

I have only worked functions and the tips were rubbish - though we found ways of getting a lot more with a bit of guile.

I have often tried to do the maths but I have a feeling they get a lot less than you think they do.

Would be nice if someone has experience.

The "issue" for some people with tipping in restaurants is that it gets shared out between staff, which people generally don't agree with. They tip the waitress and expect the waitress to get 100% of the tip as that is the person they have had contact with -- even though the chef has prepared the meal and done about 90% of the work, and is equally poorly paid. I don't tip unless it gets shared out, and for similar reasons to what @Hopeful said. The people in the kitchen are stressed, hot, work irregular shifts, underpaid yet do most of the work but nobody gives much thought to them.

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I haven't but I know several family members who have or do. They don't earn anywhere near that sadly, as it gets shared out or the owner illegally pockets it.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have only worked functions and the tips were rubbish - though we found ways of getting a lot more with a bit of guile.

I have often tried to do the maths but I have a feeling they get a lot less than you think they do.

Would be nice if someone has experience.

My niece works at a restaurant and she says she gets nothing if it's a wedding etc. However I'd imagine tips could be lucrative on a Friday night etc in a town centre.

A lot of the tips now are split between everybody including the kitchen staff. Or in the case of some places the management keep them. Kind of takes away the purpose of tipping really. Subquently I only tip if I know the individual who served me gets to keep the money. Rarely is that the case. My local indian they all muck in, no set server etc so happy to leave a couple of quid but we're not big spenders in there, share a starter, main, side and a large beer :D

1 minute ago, Admiral Pepe said:

A lot of the tips now are split between everybody including the kitchen staff. Or in the case of some places the management keep them. Kind of takes away the purpose of tipping really. Subquently I only tip if I know the individual who served me gets to keep the money. Rarely is that the case. My local indian they all muck in, no set server etc so happy to leave a couple of quid but we're not big spenders in there, share a starter, main, side and a large beer :D

I never tip Indians because they can be rude if you don't tip, indeed several times they have been offended that I only tipped 10%. "Is something wrong?" Oh do fuck off.

So now I don't bother, just reassure them the food was fine/good/etc.

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The "issue" for some people with tipping in restaurants is that it gets shared out between staff, which people generally don't agree with. They tip the waitress and expect the waitress to get 100% of the tip as that is the person they have had contact with -- even though the chef has prepared the meal and done about 90% of the work, and is equally poorly paid. I don't tip unless it gets shared out, and for similar reasons to what @Hopeful said. The people in the kitchen are stressed, hot, work irregular shifts, underpaid yet do most of the work but nobody gives much thought to them.

I haven't but I know several family members who have or do. They don't earn anywhere near that sadly, as it gets shared out or the owner illegally pockets it.

I think in Pizza Express (my student card restaurant of choice), if you tip cash the waitress gets it, if you put on the card they share it.

Just now, spunko2010 said:

I never tip Indians because they can be rude if you don't tip, indeed several times they have been offended that I only tipped 10%. "Is something wrong?" Oh do fuck off.

So now I don't bother, just reassure them the food was fine/good/etc.

Mine is a nepalese place, very friendly, great food, good size portions and very affordable/less expensive in comparison to others. Still one of those places that includes all the periphals that used to be served with a dish eg dansak comes with pilau rice inc the price. No other places do that round my way now.

The thing that is really starting to annoy me is places jamming on a discretionary charge. Automatically I get them to remove it and no tip will be left. Cheeky gits!

In Canada, you typically get handed the mobile card reader. 1st screen has bill amount. Agreed - press ok. Next screen: add tip? If yes, the easiest route is the pre programmed 15%, 20% or 25%. Happy to say no, and often do, but if she’s hot (often) and I’m drunk (very often) I’ll be in the 10 to 15% zone. To date not one has swooned at my generosity, or my leery cleavage stare.

Currently in Sydney, and there doesn’t seem to be the same tip culture. They’ll take your card and just tap the amount. No option for adding a tip other than a jar at the door.

30 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Last few kitchen jobs I did it was shared out equally between all staff on a pro-rata basis. Hilarious to see the sixth form maths student waitresses trying to do the calculations. Could be 5-10 £'s per shift. I think that's far more equitable than the owner just pocketing the lot, especially if that situation is not made abundantly clear to customers in advance.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Libspero said:

OK so we have had the reasonable and sane policy, we now have to wait for the accompanying completely arbitrary pointless and impossible to enforce virtue signalling policy e.g. "it will be illegal to tip women / black people less than men / white people".

Edited by goldbug9999