• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Turned Out Nice Again

Projector instead of a big telly?

Not personally..  I had a mate who went this route many years ago.

It works “ok” but from memory there were a few things you might want to consider:

Not instant on/off like a telly.. wait to warm up..  wait to cool down again (not a lot,  but enough to be a bit tedious).

Fan noise.  Not sure if they’re a lot better now,  but the bulbs used to be very delicate and required a lot of thermal protection..  noisy fan above your head isn’t necessarily what you want when watching a film.

Image quality..  again, they may be better now,  but the image always used to look very “washed out” if the room wasn’t perfectly dark and the wall/screen perfectly white.

Life span.  I believe the projector bulbs have a finite lifespan in hours and can be quite costly to replace.

There are pluses as well...  like the sheer size of the screen and being able to project midget pron onto your neighbours wall. 

I have one of these...

dims.jpg.7303d91cfe7521d28dbc982b2612c33c.jpg

@Libspero really nailed it. You need a wide room for the screen and a long room to get the width. Complete black out. A loud sound system to drown out the fan and you have to like the room hot as the bulb will generate unbelievable heat for the 2 hours you are watching a film.

I loved mine when I bought it, but haven't been able to use it for the past 5 years (room size too small).

Posted (edited)

Cost of wiring to consider too - good quality cabling will be expensive, power too to a location where you might not already have it.

Also bulb life, the bulbs used to be very expensive.

Edited by onlyme

Friend went down this route. It was so good that he then went and bought a decent telly. 

Lots of good TV deals in the coming week - for example, last Friday Curry's had a 55 inch Samsung in store for £350, down from about £600, if you could cart it away then. Damn box was so big you needed a van though. 

Buy a TV IMPO.

I think it really depends if you're prepared to always sit in relative gloom while watching it. For films and gaming they're great, for a bit of casual TV, maybe not so much. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I would have one if I was single, but I'm not, and my wife does have the TV on a lot of the time.

You can get an LG 65" UHD TV for £750 at Currys at the moment.

I've got one -- it is great.  The thing is sufficiently hassleful that you only turn it on for things you really want to watch, which is seldom.   But note for movies etc it works really well -- brilliant home-cinema.  

Then I have a 23" TV for watching casually, which is too small to really enjoy the casual TV, so I don't watch it that much.

Perfect really.  

Posted (edited)

I don't have a TV and we only watch films,

I have the Sanyo PLV Z5

The use averages about one a fortnight. Sound is played through my hi fi system. DVD/BlueRay player is the WiFi enabled Panasonic DMP BDT500 (also a capable CD player, so capable that I got rid of my Arcam alpha 5+).

I bought the projector soon after it came out in 2006. It is 1280 x 720. Very happy with it. It has good controls for offset etc to enable flexibility in placement. Still on original bulb.

The fan noise is not a distraction when listening to a movie. We put the projector on a small table about 0.75m high about 1m in front of the sofa. The screen to projector distance is about 4.5m at a guess.

We only watch films at the end of the day in the evening after a meal and a bottle of wine. Even in summer, so long as you draw the curtains, the image is perfectly good. We haven't watched any TV for 22 years.

I made an 80" diagonal screen with pro white mounted on a picture frame. Can't remember who made the frame but I found a company online who makes large canvas frames for artists to your dimensions (I think they were an independent furniture/sofa/upholstery company wth a sideline in frames). I stretched the screen myself - plenty of online vids of how to stretch a canvas. I then made a material cover for the screen so when not it use it looks like an artsy wall hanging. I went the fixed route to avoid the compromises of roller screens.

Not up to date on newer projector models, which I am sure have improved over the PLV  Z5. But I'd buy the projector again and it seems you can get it for ~£100 on Ebay and a bulb for about £60

You probably know of this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/

(to get an idea of my level of knowledge and also for my obsession to achieve that last 0.05% increase in ultimate experience, I'm not one of these people that would pontificate about oxygen free copper in my speaker cables)

Edited by Hopeful

Posted (edited)

I've had the HD141X for a few years and it gets used most evenings mainly to watch movies/series on Netflix etc.

Fan noise doesn't bother us as we use wireless headphones although that wasn't the main reason we bought them (it was so we didn't bother the kids).

Edited by fooked

Posted (edited)

Laser projectors perform very well (I've heard), with no bulb to change, but then you're looking north of two grand, so here's a 55" 4K TV for less than £500..Argos have virtually the same tele for the same price.....This will do the job...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55uj634v-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10161605-pdt.html

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6994873

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/80beb4c

Edited by Dave Beans

Pain in the arse. You need to have a large room, and have one wall completely unobstructed.  The room needs to be completely dark for the colours not to look noticeably (and irritatingly) washed out. 

You can get a perfectly good 50" TV for less than the cost of a halfway decent projector and screen (not to mention proper blackout curtains).

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Pain in the arse. You need to have a large room, and have one wall completely unobstructed.  The room needs to be completely dark for the colours not to look noticeably (and irritatingly) washed out. 

You can get a perfectly good 50" TV for less than the cost of a halfway decent projector and screen (not to mention proper blackout curtains).

Don't agree at all :-)

You won't get a full cinema experience where the image extends to your peripheral vision with a 50" TV. Just doesn't work for me.

You could argue that the room needs to be completely dark, but a dim room is perfectly fine. I have lined curtains, but not black-out lined. The image is certainly not irritatingly washed out, and this is with a projector of 2006 technology.

My living room is 6m long. It's like being near the front of the cinema. We haven't been to a cineam since we got the projector.

I have Castle Isis speakers and an MRJ 100 sub, so sound just plays through my stereo.

Yes, the sceen takes up a wall, but everyone that visits just thinks it's a work of art as when it's not in use it has an art deco design fabric cover that is held in place by bungee cords that run behind the frame.

EDITED to Add (as I could have missed the point of the OP as I can't see why anyone would watch TV)

But if you want to watch TV mainly and only the occasional movie get a TV. Not least because you will soon eat up your bulb life watching TV. We don't ever use the projector to watch TV (just films) and we don't have a TV; we never watch TV.

Edited by Hopeful

I have an Elephans projector which I got from Amazon for about £70. Works really well. I use it to project an image of 4'x6' on the wall but it can go bigger than that. The only problem is you need a darkened room. Sound is better through a hi-fi or, ideally, through headphones because that cuts out any projector noise. 

I don't have a telly but I project DVDs or Youtube videos. Even old youtube videos copied from VHS cassettes look quite good on the projector. 

Posted (edited)

I was thinking of going down this route when I only had my wee 32 inch TV.

However, a mate who was into AV said that for the price I was looking to pay, which was around what you are, I'd not get anything good enough to outdo a TV in the same price range. There's also hassle around speakers, a screen to project onto, and making sure that the room is properly dark since there isn't a backlight like a TV.

So I ended up getting a 55 inch TV from Richer Sounds with their 6 year warranty for about £600 and I'm very happy with it. That was about 6 months ago so you could get better now for the same money.

EDIT: I see this point has been covered earlier in the thread!

Edited by JoeDavola

Posted (edited)
On 11/06/2018 at 15:51, JoeDavola said:

I was thinking of going down this route when I only had my wee 32 inch TV.

However, a mate who was into AV said that for the price I was looking to pay, which was around what you are, I'd not get anything good enough to outdo a TV in the same price range. There's also hassle around speakers, a screen to project onto, and making sure that the room is properly dark since there isn't a backlight like a TV.

So I ended up getting a 55 inch TV from Richer Sounds with their 6 year warranty for about £600 and I'm very happy with it. That was about 6 months ago so you could get better now for the same money.

EDIT: I see this point has been covered earlier in the thread!

Update:

Just did the same as you - caved-in and bought a 55 4K OLED telly!

Not entirely abandoned the projector idea as I also have a 2m screen en-route from Amazon (@£36) to use with the little Android DLP portable I bought earlier in the year. I'll also keep watching the technology.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

3 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Update:

Just did the same as you - caved-in and bought a 55 4K OLED telly!

Not entirely abandoned the projector idea as I also have a 2m screen en-route from Amazon (@£36) to use with the little Android DLP portable I bought earlier in the year. I'll also keep watching the technology.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Excellent!

I'm also tempted to get a projector to watch concerts that are on YouTube. My bedroom has a blackout blind and I could just use bluetooth earphones.

But I should really sell a few things first as I have too much shit in my flat as it is.

On 11/06/2018 at 02:31, The Masked Tulip said:

Lots of good TV deals in the coming week - for example, last Friday Curry's had a 55 inch Samsung in store for £350, down from about £600, if you could cart it away then. Damn box was so big you needed a van though. 

Lash a couple of skateboards to the bottom and job's a good'un.

If you're looking for small, portable entertainment, you can get tiny ones on AliExpress for about 20 quid. I occasionally use one with a raspberry pi.

It's only when you go to a tech show, and they show you different models side by side that you realise how much more colour depth these fancy new projectors have compared to older models.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

I think that joke went over your head

Yeah I had feeling it was probably about the infamous date of several years ago, but wasn't sure, as TMT generally doesn't bring it up.

Unless it was something else again, in which case it has gone over my head.

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I had feeling it was probably about the infamous date of several years ago, but wasn't sure, as TMT generally doesn't bring it up.

Unless it was something else again, in which case it has gone over my head.

I normally don't but, hey, someone was going to.

I was in AV for 17 years. Projectors have improved MASSIVELY in that time. Both in image quality and ease of set up. I've been out of the game for 4 years now, but i have an NEC tucked away with a nice unused lamp in it. A legacy from my clearance of my old work site. I had a few and sold  them all off but kept the NEC.

Something else to cater for is keystoning if you're not hanging / mounting it square to the projection surface. 

Fan noise would be a problem for some. Keep the filters clean, will help. Lamps typically last about 1500-1800 hours.

I had the 2002 World cup on one and had friends round a few times, but the early morning Japanese kick off times took the edge off somewhat.

Ive just bought a 50" 4K Samsung 6120 from JL with 5 year warranty for £399.

Think i should have flogged the projector off 3 years ago along with all the others. Its not worth £250 now.

I did think about punting it out locally for a £100 a week for the world cup, but would probably never see it again.xD