• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Discovering Slovakia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44438846

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will move production of its Land Rover Discovery SUV from Birmingham to Slovakia from next year. 

The Solihull factory, where the Discovery is manufactured, will be used to build a new generation of Range Rover models, the firm said.

The company warned that there may be some job losses in the UK as a result.

JLR - which is owned by the Indian group Tata Motors - said that it remained "committed to the UK".

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

How much money have UK tax-payers paid Tata over the past 2 decades or longer? I daren't think.

And they repay us by running off with the family silver 

Just now, One percent said:

And they repay us by running off with the family silver 

Who was that female Labour minister under Blair - Aussie woman - who played a huge part in outsourcing UK public sector IT contracts to Indian firms and visas for cheap Indian IT workers to come here - thereby putting large numbers of UK IT workers out of work... and conveniently Gordon Brown brought in IR35 at the ame time to tax UK IT workers... She then got herself a plum job on a UK/Indian trade QUANGO... Goodness knows where she is now... Back in Oz for all I know...

Hewitt? Patricia Hewitt??

Just think, had Labour saved Rover and they'd managed to survive and then buy Vauxhall from the Yanks, rather than the Frogs getting it, we could have had our Car industry back.

Not saying anyone would have bought thier cars though ;-)

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Who was that female Labour minister under Blair - Aussie woman - who played a huge part in outsourcing UK public sector IT contracts to Indian firms and visas for cheap Indian IT workers to come here - thereby putting large numbers of UK IT workers out of work... and conveniently Gordon Brown brought in IR35 at the ame time to tax UK IT workers... She then got herself a plum job on a UK/Indian trade QUANGO... Goodness knows where she is now... Back in Oz for all I know...

That's the one she actually was also responsible for IR35 see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/4468255/Revenue-faces-legal-challenge-on-IR35.html

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It was the wankers at that company that gets all the government IT contracts then fucks them all up that lobbied for all that. 

I forget the name, nearly had a fight years back with some twat of a manager from the company who tried to justify it all and didn't like being challenged on it.

It was a straight bribe for policy, the company is a big donor, forget the name. Labour were up for it because they'd worked out contractors are very rarely Labour supporters.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

11 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It was the wankers at that company that gets all the government IT contracts then fucks them all up that lobbied for all that. 

I forget the name, nearly had a fight years back with some twat of a manager from the company who tried to justify it all and didn't like being challenged on it.

It was a straight bribe for policy, the company is a big donor, forget the name. Labour were up for it because they'd worked out contractors are very rarely Labour supporters.

Anderson Consulting.... which Patricia Hewitt worked for...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Hewitt

Err Slovakia is saturated for car manufacturing jobs.

Give Slovakia a few years and wages wull be more expensive than the UK.

Only reason to relocate there would be to be close to car parts.

Central European countries are not cheap labour.

Tbh, if I was in charge of UK industrial policy I'd be reducing the taxes that manufacturing companies pay. Reduce business rates/ employers NI and watch companies come back to the UK.

It would be easy to pay for as well if we got rid of migrants that don't contribute....

As it is we allow unskilled migrants in that suck up taxpayers cash and politicians tell us "we need them to pay out pensions" and "we need them to pick our fruit". 

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Err Slovakia is saturated for car manufacturing jobs.

Give Slovakia a few years and wages wull be more expensive than the UK.

Only reason to relocate there would be to be close to car parts.

Central European countries are not cheap labour.

If Ukraine was firmly in the EU fold it would probably add a huge cheap labour pool.

44 minutes ago, SNACR said:

If Ukraine was firmly in the EU fold it would probably add a huge cheap labour pool.

Ukraine will never be in eu. Ever. Or at least not before Russia.

Ukraine translate as bufferland.

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, if I was in charge of UK industrial policy I'd be reducing the taxes that manufacturing companies pay. Reduce business rates/ employers NI and watch companies come back to the UK.

It would be easy to pay for as well if we got rid of migrants that don't contribute....

As it is we allow unskilled migrants in that suck up taxpayers cash and politicians tell us "we need them to pay out pensions" and "we need them to pick our fruit". 

Id be reducing taxes on Labour.

And increasing them on benefits.

4 hours ago, One percent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44438846

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will move production of its Land Rover Discovery SUV from Birmingham to Slovakia from next year. 

The Solihull factory, where the Discovery is manufactured, will be used to build a new generation of Range Rover models, the firm said.

The company warned that there may be some job losses in the UK as a result.

JLR - which is owned by the Indian group Tata Motors - said that it remained "committed to the UK".

My Jaguar burst going up the M6. I even had a Ganesh dashboard ornament. I would not pay any money for these Land Rovers. They are shit.

Just now, MrPin said:

My Jaguar burst going up the M6. I even had a Ganesh dashboard ornament. I would not pay any money for these Land Rovers. They are shit.

Evening pinny, where you been?  :)

was it a newfangled jaguar or an old one?  

35 minutes ago, One percent said:

Evening pinny, where you been?  :)

was it a newfangled jaguar or an old one?  

A 1995 XJ6 ,from RBS (the bank) when they couldn't afford it any more. I didn't even have the full leather seats!

2 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Never been but know many that have and they all say the same 

Never been myself but know some Slovaks and have seen lots of photos of home. They speak of their grandmothers' home in the Tatra mountains and summers spent there, lots of skiing in the winter. The way they speak of it makes me think, "Why did you ever leave?"

It was a bit shit under communism though. A fair few Roma scumbags too.

My Slovak friends can't understand why we let muslims into the UK. They think we're insane.

Just now, the gardener said:

Never been myself but know some Slovaks and have seen lots of photos of home. They speak of their grandmothers' home in the Tatra mountains and summers spent there, lots of skiing in the winter. The way they speak of it makes me think, "Why did you ever leave?"

It was a bit shit under communism though. A fair few Roma scumbags too.

My Slovak friends can't understand why we let muslims into the UK. They think we're insane.

It`s on my to do list ,as soon as the camper is back on the road