• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Great Guy's "sort your plastic shit out" thread

I'm into the environment and I'm trying to reduce the plastic I use. I've done this by:

1. Using a safety razor. The blades I buy (Gillette) come in cardboard containers.

2. Not buying biscuits that use lots of packaging.

3. Using sheep wool in my aquarium filter instead of that plastic wool (much cheaper as well).

4. Buying a reusable cup for takeaway coffee (mine is made from compost able rice husk).

Any more suggestions?

5. I also try and buy tinned food instead of frozen meals.

Well done.

I just re-use any plastic bags (as have got loads) and try not to get more eg put fruit & veg directly into my basket/trolley in supermarket. (They can weigh it without a bag in most cases.)

I never buy a coffee "to go" (would take my own china mug if i did tho) - and in fact I never really eat/drink out of the home at all except in emergencies! (Surely that saves a lot of paper and plastic? As well as my money!)

Have pretty much stopped flying. Cos retired. (Dun roamin, got a dog etc.)

1. Electric Razor (took it apart and replaced the rechargable batteries when they died)

2. Don't eat biscuits

3. Don't have an aquarium

4. Don't drink take away coffee

5. Don't buy frozen meals. Do grow veg.

6. Gave up flying years ago

7. Rarely buy clothes, try to get from charity shops if needed.

8. Only buy quality electrical items or tools

9. Enjoy re-using or re-purposing junk.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

FFS, I'm here doing a bit of virtue signalling and you come on my thread with your "logic" and "facts".

:-)

It is astonishing how much packaging is plastic. I reuse yoghurt pots for planting seeds in. I reuse clear packing for grapes and tomatoes as mini greenhouses for the above yoghurt pots.

Sadly I can't stop buying bday and Xmas pressies for my young one, and boy do they come wrapped in so much plastic.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have a genuine 30 year old strapula, beat that.

20180609_223756.thumb.jpg.77f15903b930e8b296ba33cc708498c3.jpg

Blimey - looks like a prehistoric artifact you dug up then restored to a usable state? (How do you clean your teeth with it tho?)

Posted (edited)

Haven’t they discovered bacteria that can break down some plastics now?  Strikes me it’s more sensible to find a solution to the recycling / disposal problem than just stop using plastic altogether.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/plastic-eating-bacteria-chemist-science-pollution-pet-recycling-a8311811.html

We need a drive to promote bacteria soluble plastics in all packaging applications then just fund massive digesters to recycle the nations waste.

Saves trees too ;)

Edited by Libspero
SPaG

We all need to fly 5 fucking times round the world to make tv news specials on how evil and short sighted we all are.

When they stop selling shit to me caked in plastic, i'll be right there, not buying it anymore.

Deal Sky "News"?

3 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I'm into the environment and I'm trying to reduce the plastic I use. I've done this by:

1. Using a safety razor. The blades I buy (Gillette) come in cardboard containers.

2. Not buying biscuits that use lots of packaging.

3. Using sheep wool in my aquarium filter instead of that plastic wool (much cheaper as well).

4. Buying a reusable cup for takeaway coffee (mine is made from compost able rice husk).

Any more suggestions?

5. I also try and buy tinned food instead of frozen meals.

If you were to follow that regime for a million years, I wonder how many seconds of Chinese industrial pollution at current levels you might reverse? I admire your intentions, but ultimately, isn't it actually just pointless?

24 minutes ago, Bingobob said:

If you were to follow that regime for a million years, I wonder how many seconds of Chinese industrial pollution at current levels you might reverse? I admire your intentions, but ultimately, isn't it actually just pointless?

Yes. Life is also futile.

1. Don't shave - grow a long hipster beard. Occasionally clip off chunks to knit into a merkin or stuff a cushion..

2. Eat cake - pretend to be a revolting French peasant

3. Breed fish to eat. Guppy pate anyone?

4.Put your head inside the drinks machine and pour the stuff right in

5. Build a Victorian style ice house in your back garden to store any roadkill you come across. 

6. I gave up flying - it made my arms hurt too much.

7. Become a naturist. Saves on clothing but you have to get your groceries delivered - so it's not necessarily carbon neutral.

8. I was going to suggest taking up a new hobby - like burglary. But your neighbours probably only have cheap tools in their sheds.

9. Make a Chinese sailing vessel out of discarded plastic.

i see a lot of 'fun' type items for sale like a fucking fork with a channel down it to run juice into a spoon at the other end, it always irked me to see such rubbish for sale, all those materials, all that labour and machine time just to produce a piece of cheap plastic tat in a glorious colour that the world didnt ask for or need to begin with, which nobody buys and goes straight to the bargain bin and then into the main bin round the back of the 'gifts and ideas' shop. Totally wasteful and annoying to boot.

7 hours ago, ILikeCake said:

I use a steel water bottle filled with tap water for work and days out.

I would be wary of that.  I have, for years and before it became trendy, used an ordinary plastic bottle as a water bottle for several months.  By about six months it begins to grow green algae at the base and at the first time I detect that it's gone.

My response to plastic is also my response to all other consumption:

Don't buy things unless you either need or really want them.  Think of the environmental damage from making a new car for example.

If you are going to buy things then look second hand first (I have been in half a dozen charity shops trying to find a butter dish; all of which I have walked to).

This is my general behaviour; no voracious consumption here.  So when the next pollution scare cones about, be it plywood, red paint, whatever, then I will be already minimising my use of it and gave no changes to make.

8 hours ago, shindigger said:

We all need to fly 5 fucking times round the world to make tv news specials on how evil and short sighted we all are.

When they stop selling shit to me caked in plastic, i'll be right there, not buying it anymore.

Deal Sky "News"?

Feel the same when I see programs that are just clear jollies for the presenters. 'Trevor McDonald Sits on his Arse in the Carribean' being one, or my favourite recently where they flew the presenters - one of which was that butch Masterchef bird - all over the world to experience staying in the worlds best hotels.

How gruelling.

Only us peons are capable of producing pollution with our grotty Ryanair flights and odiferous methane-loaded farts the morning after too much curry and lager. TV presenters are actually our saviours as they magically inhale CO2 and other nasties from the air and then blow it out their arses as pure oxygen. That's why they get sent around the world, it's a global service.

:Old:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, leonardratso said:

i see a lot of 'fun' type items for sale like a fucking fork with a channel down it to run juice into a spoon at the other end, it always irked me to see such rubbish for sale, all those materials, all that labour and machine time just to produce a piece of cheap plastic tat in a glorious colour that the world didnt ask for or need to begin with, which nobody buys and goes straight to the bargain bin and then into the main bin round the back of the 'gifts and ideas' shop. Totally wasteful and annoying to boot.

I've said it before - kids toys.

The amount of absolute fucking junk my in-laws and own parents feel the need to foist upon my kids on an almost daily basis is a total piss-boiler for me.

As I sit and type this my floor is littered with various plastic oddments/calthrops that are neither use nor ornament. Some of this stuff doesn't even work the moment you take it out of its plastic packing so goes straight into the bin. The ones that do (damn them) take about a zillion batteries and are almost guaranteed to be broken or knackered within a month.

I fucking hate them and I've put a ban on any more of this stuff coming through my door. A ban that is regularly flouted if I'm not around to enforce it. I had to restrain myself fron drop-kicking some luminescent, noisy piece of plastic shit out the window after I discovered that my in-laws had dropped it off while I was out as (yet another) tat present for the kids to not give a second glance at.

It's a proper bugbear of mine.

Edited by Sgt Hartman