• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

VLE?

4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Am interesting in a VLE. Ideally absolutely free and idiot proof. 

3 hours ago, eek said:

virtual learning environment?

Moodle is open source - so free to install on a server, but you need to arrange your own hosting.

Bear in mind it can be pretty resource-hungry, so cheap shared hosting for $12/year is likely to annoy everyone with 500 - server busy errors if you're very active.

It's nice - it's a mature product with loads of add-ons available - but there is a learning curve for both the admin and users.

Google Classroom is also very nice - not as feature-rich as Moodle, but shockingly simple to use.

However - I'm pretty sure it's only available to G-suite for Education users - but if you can wangle that, it's entirely free.

5 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Moodle is open source - so free to install on a server, but you need to arrange your own hosting.

Bear in mind it can be pretty resource-hungry, so cheap shared hosting for $12/year is likely to annoy everyone with 500 - server busy errors if you're very active.

It's nice - it's a mature product with loads of add-ons available - but there is a learning curve for both the admin and users.

Google Classroom is also very nice - not as feature-rich as Moodle, but shockingly simple to use.

However - I'm pretty sure it's only available to G-suite for Education users - but if you can wangle that, it's entirely free.

I@ve used non-schools google classroom and think it's ok but a bit shit really. 

Moodle someone has mentioned to me, but not investigated further yet! 

Just now, sarahbell said:

virtual learning environment

Ah, thanks, like a virtual reality classroom/lecture theatre?

5 hours ago, eek said:

virtual learning environment?

So eek was right then, nice one eek.

btw- I don't think you are Goat.