• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Fly me to the moon, well Tamworth

Recommended Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5835187/Prince-Edward-lands-private-jet-Birmingham-ahead-commemoration-service.html

Prince Edward was last night slammed for a 'blatant abuse of public money' after taking a private jet costing taxpayers an estimated £37,000 for a 133-mile journey between engagements.

The Queen's youngest son, 54, travelled between Poole in Dorset and Tamworth, Staffordshire, to attend an event yesterday marking the death 1,100 years ago of Anglo-Saxon ruler Aethelflaed.

The normal hire cost of the plane to do the journey between airports in Dorset and Birmingham would be £37,150 for a one-way trip. A first-class train ticket would have cost around £250-per-person.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5835187/Prince-Edward-lands-private-jet-Birmingham-ahead-commemoration-service.html

Prince Edward was last night slammed for a 'blatant abuse of public money' after taking a private jet costing taxpayers an estimated £37,000 for a 133-mile journey between engagements.

The Queen's youngest son, 54, travelled between Poole in Dorset and Tamworth, Staffordshire, to attend an event yesterday marking the death 1,100 years ago of Anglo-Saxon ruler Aethelflaed.

The normal hire cost of the plane to do the journey between airports in Dorset and Birmingham would be £37,150 for a one-way trip. A first-class train ticket would have cost around £250-per-person.

 

"The normal hire cost of the plane"

So we have no idea how much this trip cost.

Company says the same trip could cost between £10,000 and £45,000 - heck of a lot of latitude there

A Royal trip might have been negotiated at a lot less even.

Not a private trip, so what is the fuss ?

Edwards Diary over the last 4 days: Hong Kong on Saturday, traveling back to UK on Sunday, home on Monday, Poole on Tuesday Morning, Tamworh on Tuesday evening.

With that engagement schedule I think the jet was probably justified.

Were the engagements 'worth it' is the question.

 

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes they're worth it.  Prince Edward isn't going to them as a jolly; this is his job and I'm glad that he's the one doing it rather than me.

Exactly, must be hideous 99% of the time. He is just a body being moved around by his masters. In effect, no more than an organ grinder's monkey.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to put it into perspective, my employer will only pay me mileage for a max of 100 miles per day.  Then they try and send me on  trips well in excess of that....  meaning if I choose to go, I’m subsidising my employer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just to put it into perspective, my employer will only pay me mileage for a max of 100 miles per day.  Then they try and send me on  trips well in excess of that....  meaning if I choose to go, I’m subsidising my employer 

Simple. Just take two days to get there and book yourself a nice hotel half way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just to put it into perspective, my employer will only pay me mileage for a max of 100 miles per day.  Then they try and send me on  trips well in excess of that....  meaning if I choose to go, I’m subsidising my employer 

I guess you could both abdicate ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Simple. Just take two days to get there and book yourself a nice hotel half way.

I only work one day a week for that particular employer. I guess I could travel one day, a week in a nice luxury hotel and travel back the following week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prince Edward was clearly run off his feet and from an individuals perspective it's a wedge of cash however as a *corporate expense it'd be something to put against the P&L but  as a monarchy thing reigning over 80million subjects the cost per citizen would be ~ a twentieth of a penny. 

He'll be completely immune to the trappings of executive travel by now and would probably prefer staying at home than to be moved from pillar to post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, One percent said:

Just to put it into perspective, my employer will only pay me mileage for a max of 100 miles per day.  Then they try and send me on  trips well in excess of that....  meaning if I choose to go, I’m subsidising my employer 

Have you tried travelling 100 miles then finding a hotel for the night then doing another 100 miles the next day?

(edit: great minds think alike, so I'm told)

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

He'll be completely immune to the trappings of executive travel by now and would probably prefer staying at home than to be moved from pillar to post.

Yep. I’m a long way from being a royalist, but most who’ve done a lot of business travel will tell you, it isn’t half as glamorous as most people think, and I’d rather be sitting at home with a beer or some cheese on toast than any amount of posh eating or hotels. Much the same goes for business travel itself -it’s only interesting if you are seeing somewhere genuinely interesting, as part of the travel experience, like, I dunno, the wilds of Canada. Otherwise it’s just a PITA. You can’t even poo in private, when you want to and for however long you want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Yep. I’m a long way from being a royalist, but most who’ve done a lot of business travel will tell you, it isn’t half as glamorous as most people think, and I’d rather be sitting at home with a beer or some cheese on toast than any amount of posh eating or hotels. Much the same goes for business travel itself -it’s only interesting if you are seeing somewhere genuinely interesting, as part of the travel experience, like, I dunno, the wilds of Canada. Otherwise it’s just a PITA. You can’t even poo in private, when you want to and for however long you want to.

Charlie boy likes nothing more than sitting by his Aga in his slippers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes they're worth it.  Prince Edward isn't going to them as a jolly; this is his job and I'm glad that he's the one doing it rather than me.

xD

Agreed!

Thankfully I can stay at home a lot and go out a lot when I choose without being constantly scrutinised. I don’t envy any of them. Life can be shit for the wealthy at times!

I’m not a royalist but do admire the queen because she has never put a foot wrong and played the role. When she dies I expect more baying along the lines of ....do we need them?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

 

I’m not a royalist but do admire the queen because she has never put a foot wrong and played the role. When she dies I expect more baying along the lines of ....do we need them?

 

But then who’d cut the ribbon to open all those new or redecorated government or quango offices? You can’t expect the d-list and ex-celebrities to pick up the slack...  they already have full schedules opening new poundworlds and appearing in pantos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By One percent
      As per title
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39444993
      Low-ability youngsters from wealthy families go on to earn more money than their more gifted, poorer counterparts, says the Education Secretary Justine Greening.
      Fairer outcomes remained an "entrenched" problem, she said, at an event promoting social mobility.
      Too many pupils fail to reach their potential, said Ms Greening.
      Making the most of all young people's talent was a "hard, cold, economic imperative," she said.
      "Children from high-income backgrounds who show signs of low academic ability at age five, are 35% more likely to become high earners than their poorer peers who show early signs of high ability," Ms Greening told a Social Mobility Commission event.
       
      justine greening is somehow surprised by this. She clearly does not bother to take note of her surroundings 
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.