• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Fly me to the moon, well Tamworth

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5835187/Prince-Edward-lands-private-jet-Birmingham-ahead-commemoration-service.html

Prince Edward was last night slammed for a 'blatant abuse of public money' after taking a private jet costing taxpayers an estimated £37,000 for a 133-mile journey between engagements.

The Queen's youngest son, 54, travelled between Poole in Dorset and Tamworth, Staffordshire, to attend an event yesterday marking the death 1,100 years ago of Anglo-Saxon ruler Aethelflaed.

The normal hire cost of the plane to do the journey between airports in Dorset and Birmingham would be £37,150 for a one-way trip. A first-class train ticket would have cost around £250-per-person.

Just to put it into perspective, my employer will only pay me mileage for a max of 100 miles per day.  Then they try and send me on  trips well in excess of that....  meaning if I choose to go, I’m subsidising my employer 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just to put it into perspective, my employer will only pay me mileage for a max of 100 miles per day.  Then they try and send me on  trips well in excess of that....  meaning if I choose to go, I’m subsidising my employer 

Simple. Just take two days to get there and book yourself a nice hotel half way.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I guess you could both abdicate ;)

19 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Simple. Just take two days to get there and book yourself a nice hotel half way.

I only work one day a week for that particular employer. I guess I could travel one day, a week in a nice luxury hotel and travel back the following week 

Prince Edward was clearly run off his feet and from an individuals perspective it's a wedge of cash however as a *corporate expense it'd be something to put against the P&L but  as a monarchy thing reigning over 80million subjects the cost per citizen would be ~ a twentieth of a penny. 

He'll be completely immune to the trappings of executive travel by now and would probably prefer staying at home than to be moved from pillar to post.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, One percent said:

Have you tried travelling 100 miles then finding a hotel for the night then doing another 100 miles the next day?

(edit: great minds think alike, so I'm told)

Edited by Panther

10 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

He'll be completely immune to the trappings of executive travel by now and would probably prefer staying at home than to be moved from pillar to post.

Yep. I’m a long way from being a royalist, but most who’ve done a lot of business travel will tell you, it isn’t half as glamorous as most people think, and I’d rather be sitting at home with a beer or some cheese on toast than any amount of posh eating or hotels. Much the same goes for business travel itself -it’s only interesting if you are seeing somewhere genuinely interesting, as part of the travel experience, like, I dunno, the wilds of Canada. Otherwise it’s just a PITA. You can’t even poo in private, when you want to and for however long you want to.

24 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Yep. I’m a long way from being a royalist, but most who’ve done a lot of business travel will tell you, it isn’t half as glamorous as most people think, and I’d rather be sitting at home with a beer or some cheese on toast than any amount of posh eating or hotels. Much the same goes for business travel itself -it’s only interesting if you are seeing somewhere genuinely interesting, as part of the travel experience, like, I dunno, the wilds of Canada. Otherwise it’s just a PITA. You can’t even poo in private, when you want to and for however long you want to.

Charlie boy likes nothing more than sitting by his Aga in his slippers

13 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes they're worth it.  Prince Edward isn't going to them as a jolly; this is his job and I'm glad that he's the one doing it rather than me.

xD

Agreed!

Thankfully I can stay at home a lot and go out a lot when I choose without being constantly scrutinised. I don’t envy any of them. Life can be shit for the wealthy at times!

I’m not a royalist but do admire the queen because she has never put a foot wrong and played the role. When she dies I expect more baying along the lines of ....do we need them?

9 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I’m not a royalist but do admire the queen because she has never put a foot wrong and played the role. When she dies I expect more baying along the lines of ....do we need them?

But then who’d cut the ribbon to open all those new or redecorated government or quango offices? You can’t expect the d-list and ex-celebrities to pick up the slack...  they already have full schedules opening new poundworlds and appearing in pantos.