• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Rats!

I saw a huge rat yesterday in my garden, it went under the shed. About 30cm long! It's my fault, I thought I saw one a few weeks ago eating the grass seed which I left out but thought nothing more of it. Now they're huge! I bought some poison from B&Q (rodine) but can't really lace that around everywhere as I've got chickens and a dog. Anyone know any DIY jobs that don't harm other animals?

I don't mind rat traps but would worry the dog would get to them.

Fuckers have eaten some of my strawberries so I'm going to scrap the lot of them, last thing I want is Weil's Disease.

PS: Was a brown rat.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I saw a huge rat yesterday in my garden, it went under the shed. About 30cm long! It's my fault, I thought I saw one a few weeks ago eating the grass seed which I left out but thought nothing more of it. Now they're huge! I bought some poison from B&Q (rodine) but can't really lace that around everywhere as I've got chickens and a dog. Anyone know any DIY jobs that don't harm other animals?

Fuckers have eaten some of my strawberries so I'm going to scrap the lot of them, last thing I want is Weil's Disease.

You can still use poison  just don`t make it accessible to the dogs and chickens ,get a good bucket place it over the bait with a large brick or some sort of weight on top of it  this would have to be on soft ground then dig a little hole/tunnel into it   

Compost bins are a massive draw for rats the same as chickens/chicken feed

Other than that buy a proper poison dispenser  most farm/agricultural shops will sell them

Edited by Long time lurking

I am not a vegan! :PissedOff: I have (had?) a firearms license but I never used it and it needs renewing. Anyway, it isn't feasible for me to buy a gun now.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I am not a vegan! :PissedOff: I have (had?) a firearms license but I never used it and it needs renewing. Anyway, it isn't feasible for me to buy a gun now.

I was going to ask what you were doing with the chickens if you were vegan.... :ph34r:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

We have a thread for this, started by wherebee, here was my contribution :

You would have to put the rolling log trap in a shed away from the dog, but it should work, and drowning is supposed to be "pleasant"..

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the link

I'm vegetarian (pescatarian?) not a vegan, there is a difference . :Old:

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

We have a thread for this, started by wherebee, here was my contribution :

You would have to put the rolling log trap in a shed away from the dog, but it should work, and drowning is supposed to be "pleasant"..

I don't know if that's true for rats but I couldn't drown anything, for humans at least it has to be one of the worst ways to die. I'd rather a quick death.

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Sorry, must have confused you with someone else? 

Rats can be done with CO2 rifles and a night sight, super accurate and quiet, your neighbours wouldn't hear a thing, plus no need for a licence unless the law has changed. (which it probably has, bearing in mind I finally left the UK in 2006!)

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't know if that's true for rats but I couldn't drown anything, for humans at least it has to be one of the worst ways to die. I'd rather a quick death.

They drown themselves by falling off the rolling log, better that than them fighting to the death.

I know what you mean though, poisoning can't be a load of fun for them though, what about shooting them an air rifle then? That should be a quick death if you go for head shots especially. 

Whatever you do, don't use Novichok, it's pish.

Rats like convenient sources of food and water close to a nice place to hide like under the floor of a bug shed or a pile of rubbish/scrap.

The trick is to remove at least 2 of these which is difficult if you keep farm critters.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I presume as a vegan you wouldn't like doing this, but probably more humane than poison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ZDZTv2ZU0

Yes it`s far more humane than poison,poison is a long slow death most chose it for convince it offers and the fact they don`t have to watch the death, shot or a dog is by far the most humane way of dealing with the problem 

I'm not really sure on poison long term because it takes 48 hours to kill them, which can't be pleasant, and then there is a real risk chickens will eat the dead rats as I let them roam. Or the poison itself. I think I'll get some of those traditional traps to kill them, smear it with peanut butter and replace. It kills them within 5 seconds apparently.

27 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm not really sure on poison long term because it takes 48 hours to kill them, which can't be pleasant, and then there is a real risk chickens will eat the dead rats as I let them roam. Or the poison itself. I think I'll get some of those traditional traps to kill them, smear it with peanut butter and replace. It kills them within 5 seconds apparently.

Do the course. You'll learn about safe baiting and use of poisons. 

If you trap them what will you do then? Drowning is an option but may be illegal. Who knows. Who would know?

Oh shit. That’s bad! Very hard when you have chickens and a dog to lay down poison.

Maybe get some pest control advice?

I lived in an old cottage in a coastal village a while ago. Frequently there were mice in one kitchen cupboard that were despatched with a trap. Often I could hear them running in cavity walls but never found any evidence of them being in the house.

One evening very late at night I was relaxing in a recliner chair and caught something moving from the side of my eye. Oh dear, mice in the house! A short time later I saw a rodent head unable to get through a half inch gap between a wall and piece of furniture. Holy shit! I knew it was a rat. Got out the room shut the door and didn’t sleep much until morning when I phoned the council pest control department. 

In a few hours the local “rat man” came to my house. He said there was a nest in the loft and they’d eaten a hole through plaster in the living room and that’s how they got in the house. He dealt with the problem for a charge and that was it. Over ten years ago though in a rural area.

Of course, your problem is very different with it being outdoors and wanted animals involved. Also perhaps council pest control provision has changed?

From all the advice upthread in your situation though  my choices would be to get some ratting terriers/handlers on loan to your property or get a gun or someone who has one to shoot the rats.

Thanks  @Economic Exile actually I've had rentokil out before to deal with death watch beetle and they were good but expensive. I'm trying out poison in secure boxes in the shed and the traditional rat traps outside. This evening I've already replaces the bait 3 times,  they're definitely eating it. 

Just going to keep a very close eye on my dog and keep the chickens cooped up for a few days. If they don't disappear in a week I'll get rentokil out. 

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Thanks  @Economic Exile actually I've had rentokil out before to deal with death watch beetle and they were good but expensive. I'm trying out poison in secure boxes in the shed and the traditional rat traps outside. This evening I've already replaces the bait 3 times,  they're definitely eating it. 

Just going to keep a very close eye on my dog and keep the chickens cooped up for a few days. If they don't disappear in a week I'll get rentokil out. 

Good luck getting rid of them. I love most animals and insects but I just can’t warm to rats and flies!

DEXA-COMPACT-RAT-BAIT-BOX-PLASTIC-RAT.jpBait boxes are designed to only be accessible to rat size creatures. We've used them for years with free range chickens and dogs with no problems, just put a brick on top of them. There is evidence of increasing immunity in rats to rodenticide, so some do rotate different types of bait. In a domestic garden , look at 'housekeeping' - what food sources are the rats using ? and what cover do they have to move around and nest in? Taking away food and hiding places can be a more effective strategy long term.

Kania traps, designed by a Canadian trapper looking for a more humane alternative to the traditional spring traps used in the fur trade are expensive but generally thought to be one of the most best around. Wouldn't use one around chickens though because they'll end up being beheaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2u_b71NKb0

1 hour ago, Caravan Monster said:

, look at 'housekeeping' - what food sources are the rats using ? and what cover do they have to move around and nest in? Taking away food and hiding places can be a more effective strategy long term.

That's what the course goes through. Food and harbourage. You need to remove those before you use any poison.

Ask around to see if anybody knows who keeps ferrets. Even if that ferret keeper doesn't go ratting, they will probably know somebody that does.

Some people view ratting as sport and would welcome the opportunity to rid you of rats.

Usual mo is to place nets over some of the rat holes and then send in a female ferret. They're a bit bigger and tougher than a rat so rather than fight, the rat will exit the nest sharpish. To be met by terriers that kill them with one bite.

I wouldn't mess with ferrets if I were a rat either, personally. I once cornered a weasel - tiny as they are - but extremely vicious! A ferret would be ten times worse. Mustelids generally appear to be crazy, the honey badger in case you haven't seen the famous video on YouTube eats snakes and bees etc.

Anyway, the problem with removing the food source (which is a bag of grass seed) is that I am placing the poison in that. If I remove it they'll start eating my strawberries and vegetables again which I am reluctant to lace with poison. Once the numbers drop a bit, I'm switching to other methods such as the traditional trap.

Does seem a bit of a catch 22 situation though.

On 13/06/2018 at 11:08, spunko2010 said:

Theres never onyl one rat. At least not after a month.

Thee are electric traps - tunnel of no return - which are very good if you only have a few and worry about pets.

Failing that, get some beers and airgun and wait for he fucker.

And if you your neighbours one of these thick bitches with an eggloo, shoot her too.

Those eglu things look too flimsy, I wouldn't trust them to withstand a fox attack. So far the rats haven't been interested in my chickens even though they are only about 20ft away. 

The fuckers just eat my strawberries and grass seed.