• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

Pubs, cafes etc blocking pavements

It's become a real thing in high streets now for pubs cafes restaurants and sometimes other businesses to claim huge tracts of pavement with seating, advertising boards and the like. Often the worst offenders even put up temporary fencing. AFAICT this is mostly done on pavement that is indistinguishable as anything they have any claim over as part of their premises? Some of the offenders take up over half the width of the pavement, causing all sorts of inconvenience.

Anyone know what the law is on such land grabs?

Posted (edited)

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/626114/tables_and_chairs_permit

I may be wrong, but I have it my head that businesses here (Edinburgh) pay the council to be able to do this kind of thing, but restrictions are in place to limit the amount of pavement they take up.

EDIT : Yes, there are such licences : See link at top of this post, fuck knows why it wouldn't just go here where I wanted it to go...

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding link n shit

I expect these 'plots' still remain the public highway.

I've been tempted to sit in some of these al fresco seats and not order anything, to see what happens.

On the other hand, I quite like eating/drinking al fresco and as the restaurants pay the council for licences I am content with that.

In my town the centre is partly pedestrianised during the day, and they don't cause any obstruction.

5 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Thanks Carl, I suspected as much. Money changing hands to deprive the majority of residents of the facilities they pay for then?

Yes, money from that, taxes of various sorts, money from gambling machines in pubs and clubs, money from fuel sales and money from licencing of all sorts but no money for stuff we would actually be ok paying for, just plenty for wars which do not benefit us and for supporting "poor starving refugees" who want to take over our country.

Bastards in government. Again.

For some of them it's part of the title - you can see the brass studs in the pavement delineating it.

For others yes it's a licence required as is the case for A advertising boards.

As with the happy renting man I like to see it and don't feel inconvenienced.

I like to sit outside a cafe when the weather is nice, but I agree some of them take the piss by ever encroaching on the pavement. Our local Costa keeps asking the council for permission to put tables outside, keeps getting denied so it isn't a free for all.

In parts of my high street, with busy traffic and busy pavements already cluttered and narrow in places, theyre a right PITA, even for me as a big, able bodied type. If i were, say, pushing a double buggy on a saturday morning I think Id be going postal within 100 meters.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

For some of them it's part of the title - you can see the brass studs in the pavement delineating it.

Yes, particularly in London with it's medieval layout. Waht many mistake for pavement is actually private land and marked so; studs, or a change in paving, or some sort of distinct line. Amazing really, considering the value of land in London.

Im OK with tables and chairs. Coucnils bill cafes to use outside areas. Its regulated, does not cause  problem.

I *do* have a problem with random A boards on the pavement.

Im tempted to pull a quick A board whiplash move and sue.

55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

For others yes it's a licence required as is the case for A advertising boards.

As with the happy renting man I like to see it and don't feel inconvenienced.

I'd rather have a cafe there, rather than an empty shop...

27 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Im OK with tables and chairs. Coucnils bill cafes to use outside areas. Its regulated, does not cause  problem.

I *do* have a problem with random A boards on the pavement.

Im tempted to pull a quick A board whiplash move and sue.

Yeah, the worst are where the pavements are so narrow that queues of people form in either direction because of the board. If I ever get caught up in one of these situations I just deposit the board back in the shop doorway. Amazing how most people tolerate it though.

The local council has just given the local market square in Whitby to one of the cafe owners. There is a massive storm brewing on face ache about it. No consultation nothing. The market can just bugger off

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

I expect these 'plots' still remain the public highway.

I've been tempted to sit in some of these al fresco seats and not order anything, to see what happens.

On the other hand, I quite like eating/drinking al fresco and as the restaurants pay the council for licences I am content with that.

In my town the centre is partly pedestrianised during the day, and they don't cause any obstruction.

For a while I worked in a coffee shop with seasonal al fresco seating. Personally I liked the job because it kept me fit, I met a variety of folk but unfortunately the owner was so unlikeable I had to pack it in. He done a lot of not nice stuff and chased lots of regular custom away but the worst thing I saw him do was when a regular high spending customer came to pay her bill with a voucher. The bill was 2p over......surely not, surely not thought I....but yes he said that’s 2p please. She never went back!

He was eagle eyed and soon spotted if anyone sat outside if I hadn’t seen them myself. If they weren’t ordering anything they were politely told that seats were for customers!

He hated people who only bought a coffee...said they were miserable bastards.

These days that’s what’s I do occasionally on nice days. Go and sit outside with a coffee and watch the world go buy for an hour or so while smoking a few roll ups. Lovely for me but shite for him xD

His top of the range campervan, two top of the range leased cars are long gone....these days it’s a small van. Soon it’ll be the house. Personally I think he’s wallowing in debt.

Edited by Economic Exile

7 hours ago, One percent said:

The local council has just given the local market square in Whitby to one of the cafe owners. There is a massive storm brewing on face ache about it. No consultation nothing. The market can just bugger off

Look at those piss poor ratings.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186345-d2191190-Reviews-Arnies_Restaurant-Whitby_Scarborough_District_North_Yorkshire_England.html

58 minutes ago, spygirl said:

A place I’ve never been.  It just looks dodge from the outside. The taps bar just above on church street is very good if a tad expensive.