• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
UmBongo

Train In Vain

Why is getting the train so bloody expensive?

I haven't researched this too thoroughly but from my little hamlet in East Anglia to Manchester village in July (so plenty of notice) - £110!!! O.o What the Hell?!

There was one for £68 but that was at funny hours. I may as well drive oop north and fill er up with diesel.

What happened to 'getting people out of their cars and onto public transport' ? The cost of public transport remains very expensive. And as for season ticket prices....

I remember in Amsterdam 11 years ago the train was 3 Euros 60 from Schipol airport to Centraal Station (OK, so a shorter distance than my example). Seemed very reasonable. Train travel is usually cheaper on the continent so I hear.

Posted (edited)

You need to experiment with splitting the ticket, getting two or more tickets that together cover the whole journey. You can do the whole journey on the same train, it just needs to stop at every station the journey is split. You can save around 33% of the cost fairly easily this way

Edited by Panther

Posted (edited)

Like coffee, we've had normalisation of expenditure on certain things that have become very expensive.

IMO we should have a policy that no train journey should be more expensive than single-occupancy driving on an 'average car' (running costs only -- not base expenditure like insurance or car tax) plus all day parking.  For concessions it should be no more expensive than driving there-and-back (ie, having a lift).

Edited by dgul

It's a fucking joke. I pay £111 per week for a journey of 35 miles each way on my motorbike. Had my train cancelled 3 times since Friday and rediverted this morning. And it only ever goes up in price! Crooks! 

30 minutes ago, Panther said:

You need to experiment with splitting the ticket, getting two or more tickets that together cover the whole journey. You can do the whole journey on the same train, it just needs to stop at every station the journey is split. You can save around 33% of the cost fairly easily this way

I was discussing this with my colleague today. He knows his trains and routes very well. He suggested splitting it at Peterborough for example.

19 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

It's a fucking joke. I pay £111 per week for a journey of 35 miles each way on my motorbike. Had my train cancelled 3 times since Friday and rediverted this morning. And it only ever goes up in price! Crooks! 

Workers are getting...or facing the sack when their train service fails. It's just not on.

44 minutes ago, Panther said:

Example?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Example?

There are plenty. It's all down to the rail system being a network, with associated ticketing compromises, so tends to work for journeys over say 70 miles. Have a play around on

http://nationalrail.co.uk

Edited by Panther

All previous trips to the capital on work have been on train, next one will be by car.  Drive to outlying town with tube station and try that for a change.

Train service is so bad the daughter is being driven to school rather than train during exams (morning) as you cannot rely on punctuality at all, let alone get a seat a lot of the time.

Posted (edited)

You often hear people in the UK complain, that trains are expensive, and overcrowded. 

I know it may be a smaller example, but I believe that Estonia recently made ALL public transport free, to EVERYONE. 

Imagine what public transport would be like in the UK, if it was all free. 

Edited by Uptherebels

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

You know your country is out of balance when a space in car park earns £2 an hour more than the minimum wage.

35348583_10156470558358767_2306727849786081280_n.jpg

Superb observation and point made

Although if you work all day you can park all day and still have ~ £16 left over for other things

Edited by Hopeful

12 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

You often hear people in the UK complain, that trains are expensive, and overcrowded. 

I know it may be a smaller example, but I believe that Estonia recently made ALL public transport free, to EVERYONE. 

I shudder to think. Ken Livingstone (I think) made bus travel in London free for under 15s, with the result that buses were used as mobile gang huts by feral teens. 

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Superb observation and point made

Although if you work all day you can park all day and still have ~ £16 left over for other things

Wonder how much the founder pays to park his yacht every day

Image result for sir donald gosling yacht

Though to be fair he has had a very interesting life.

Bought his first car park for £200!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Gosling

9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

You know your country is out of balance when a space in car park earns £2 an hour more than the minimum wage.

I listed my secure and private car parking space, a 1 minute walk from the train station for 25% of the price. The lazy feckers would rather throw the money down the drain and park in a crammed spot having their car doors scratched and banged. In the 6 months listed I had 4 takers, just single day trippers. Ended up dislisting as the websites kept hassling me to lower the price more xD

11 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

One of my favourite songs where the title isn't in the lyrics. Great song, apparently the title refers to the beat.

What is? 

13 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

Manky mobile doss-houses I'd imagine. 

Great idea but you'd need an army of security to deal with the piss takers.

I'd like to take small Hartman for a trip to London for a look about and to introduce him to urban hell. A return ticket for two is 180 quid. 

Thre three of us flew to Geneva for less than that.

'Koff.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Wonder how much the founder pays to park his yacht every day

Image result for sir donald gosling yacht

Though to be fair he has had a very interesting life.

Bought his first car park for £200!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Gosling

After the War, together with Ronald Hobson, he founded Central Car Parks, when the pair invested £200 in a bombsite in Holborn, central London to create a car park

Seems after the war was the start of the current game of monopoly and now we're coming to the end. Even accounting for inflation that £200 wouldn't even afford your car a week in one of his car parks now. Land, property and the means of production are completely in a few hands and we've turned into a rentier society. The end game is near, do these people think it'll go on for ever? The board is going to be wiped clean and the people holding all the cards should be very afraid.

I sometimes think I might vote for Steptoe just to light the flame and watch it all burn.

Edited by gibbon

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

35348583_10156470558358767_2306727849786081280_n.jpg

Apples and oranges. That's why they have London living wage, duh. 

If you have a PA, they can pre-book you 12hrs for £25. Bargain!

33 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Apples and oranges. That's why they have London living wage, duh. 

If you have a PA, they can pre-book you 12hrs for £25. Bargain!

I paid that in Birmingham 6 years ago !!!!!