• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Matched betting

The new (old) get rich!!!! scheme.

I was looking into this a year or so ago.

I guess its down to there being so many bookies, betting on so many things,  that an anally retentive person with a lot of time on their hands could profit between the odds.

However ..... bookies have a tendency to take their ball away from them.

My cousins managed (out of nick, lots of time on hand for a few months) ~6 weeks before he was banned. He managed a 2k.

FTAV have a thread on it hitting mumsnet:

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/06/14/1528948800000/Can-Mumsnet-beat-the-gambling-industry-/

Heres the mumsnet thread is you are brave enough

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3271577-How-can-I-earn-2500-from-scratch-in-6-weeks?pg=2&order=

Heres a company then I looked at (Newton Aycliffe) who've gone for the gold rush shovel supply rather than digging the gold.

https://www.oddsmonkey.com/

Betting companies will generally 'gub' you sooner or later, but £2.5k is not a trivial sum of money to a lot of people, and there's rarely any opportunity to make money from bookmakers without taking advantage of loopholes and special offers, so the average person has no real reason not to take the money and burn their bridges as far as I can see!

I had a look into it but couldn't be arsed. Seemed like the profit margin was thin given the time and effort required before the bookies would shut you down.

It appears Bet365 have now changed their introductory offer as well. Used to be matched up to £200, could access it right away but had to turn it over 4 times before it could be withdrawn. Now it's only up to £100, don't get the matched "credits" until you've placed a bet and you don't get to keep the credits. I wonder if this is down to all those who arb/match bet?

Posted (edited)

I did matched betting for a while in 2016. IIRC I made about £700 in two months, working on it for a couple of hours per day. 

There's a law of diminishing returns because once you exhaust all the start-up offers, you don't make so much money and you have to work harder, placing bets on accumulators etc which all got a bit too complicated for me. You need to be quite organised with good record keeping, spreadsheets etc and have a dedicated fund of about £1000 to start off with (although you can start with less). You also end up working quite a lot on weekends as that's when most of the racing takes place. 

The people who make the real money in matched betting are those companies that you have to hire the software from (costs about £15 a month). I think they are the main ones pushing it as easy money in the blogs and online. 

'Gubbing' or banning by bookies is said to be a common problem, but dig a little deeper on matched betting forums and there are people who have been doing it for years who have never been gubbed. 

That said, if you want an extra-money job for a few months that pays a bit more than minimum wage and which can be done fairly easily from home, go for it. I'm not sure many people could succeed with it as their full time job however. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

Nearly all bookies will limit you eventually. Only the top ones that rate their odds-setters and systems as the best in the world don't limit or ban, that used to be the case with Pinnacle, no idea if its still true.

Bet365 were  wankers that would cancel your bets, limit or ban you immediately they detected you weren't the sort of idiot who bets on their own football club or a horse with a nice name, they were only interested in mug punter losers, can't imagine that's changed.

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Nearly all bookies will limit you eventually. Only the top ones that rate their odds-setters and systems as the best in the world don't limit or ban, that used to be the case with Pinnacle, no idea if its still true.

Bet365 were  wankers that would cancel your bets, limit or ban you immediately they detected you weren't the sort of idiot who bets on their own football club or a horse with a nice name, they were only interested in mug punter losers, can't imagine that's changed.

Most matched-betting websites advise 'mug punts' where you regularly make the sorts of bets that 'normal' people make (ie, bet £5 on the same football team to win every Saturday) in order to avoid gubbing. You balance these out with other bookies so that you don't lose any money. But you need to be organised and keep good records of this sort of thing. It all got a bit tedious. I only did it for about four  months but I didn't get gubbed in that time and indeed regularly get emails and texts from bookies trying to get me to bet with them again.