• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Road signs with amusing names you have seen - not found on the internet

Just now, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Not an amusing name, but my nan's old peoples home had a sign saying 'Caution: Old people' on the road leading up to it, and someone had scrawled 'they bite' underneath.

I think the walkers sign is actually warning about people from the old folks home, I've just been trying to find it on street view.

There's a carsick hill road in Sheffield. I drive past it all the time but never noticed until my other half noticed it while feeling sick, and mentioned it was a fitting name.

9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Shilbottle in the North East is another place where a black marker pen is often used to give the town a more amusing name...

B1Xle6aIcAAwCQJ.jpg

XYY

I once got "clotheslined" by a spectator while playing out wide on the left there.

I've just spent a completely mind numbing 5 minutes trying to find out why the town Montcuq in France is so funny to French people.

What I've learned is that French people are shit at word play, and I don't know any funny place names.

11 hours ago, One percent said:

I don't have a photo but I will try and get one.  There is a hill in Whitby called "down dinner hill". So, you can either go up down dinner hill, or down, down dinner hill 

Really...?

Please keep in mind that the title of this thread contains the word "amusing"...

XYY

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Really...?

Please keep in mind that the title of this thread contains the word "amusing"...

XYY

The amusement is not in the name but in the way it can be used to confuse the hard of thinking from further up the coast when they ask for directions. 

There's an overhead sign on the M5 near exeter which triggers my irony alarm - it seems to always say "sign not in use".

Edited by Reck B

In my town there is a Dick's Well and a Lady Well in close vicinity. They're more like alleys/small area rather than streets.

It does make you wonder how Streets and places got their names 😳

Edited by Economic Exile