• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

If you want loyalty...

Posted (edited)

new French campaign to stop people abandoning their dogs for the summer holiday, no need to speak French but get the kleenex

a friend of mine's retriever made it to 12 before he had to be carried up and down stairs due to arthritis, this dog seems to be about 20!

Edited by davidg

I'm not watching that.

Here's some pictures of my dog though.

He's a handsome fucker i'm sure youll all agree.

He'd very much like to shag some bitches soon.

He's 4.

DSC_1111.JPG

DSC_1112.JPG

DSC_1113.JPG

DSC_1114.JPG

DSC_1115.JPG

DSC_1116.JPG

DSC_1117.JPG

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, shindigger said:

I'm not watching that.

He's 4.

DSC_1111.JPG

DSC_1112.JPG

DSC_1113.JPG

DSC_1114.JPG

DSC_1115.JPG

DSC_1116.JPG

DSC_1117.JPG

Gorgeous. He doesn’t look keen on having his photo taken. Here is mine 14. 

Bugger, didn’t attach

155EB504-D9C4-42EA-B2E5-0C4DFBA992A6.jpeg

B8F2D34D-D507-43C6-94F4-84C701ECE78B.jpeg

8C8306A2-6499-4BFE-9041-A806A35CBD8E.jpeg

6FBD6054-601E-410D-BF2E-1B980FA4C063.jpeg

Edited by One percent

^^^^lovely dog pics.

Yep, dogs are great.

When you arrive home they are always pleased to see you. No nagging from them re where have you been etc!. They are happy to be given their meals and eat it up with no whining. Plus they’re always happy to go out for a walk.....no nagging needed! Plus plus, when you’re out walking with them you chat to other folk walking with dogs.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

^^^^lovely dog pics.

Yep, dogs are great.

When you arrive home they are always pleased to see you. No nagging from them re where have you been etc!. They are happy to be given their meals and eat it up with no whining. Plus they’re always happy to go out for a walk.....no nagging needed! Plus plus, when you’re out walking with them you chat to other folk walking with dogs.

👍

Posted (edited)

Doing great for 14. Marvellous. Looking full of it.

Does he have the Lab gene? By which i mean the gene that disables the "i'm full" signal.

Ive had 4 goldies in my family, and this is only one who isn't an utter greedy bastard.

I heard on some prog that they use the Lab as a study in human obesity.

PS Didnt mean to imply your dog was overweight, clearly he is not.B|

Edited by shindigger

Just now, shindigger said:

Doing great for 14. Marvellous. Looking full of it.

Does he have the Lab gene? By which i mean the gene that disables the "i'm full" signal.

Ive had 4 goldies in my family, and this is only one who isn't an utter greedy bastard.

I heard on some prog that they use the Lab as a study in human obesity.

Those were from last year, she has begun to slow up in the last few months but can still do a good hours walk.

yep, she would eat until she pops. She started limping badly when she was about seven.  Put her on a strict diet and omega tablets and the limps gone. You really have to watch their weight. Not easy. 

When she was a young dog, we put chocolate treats on the Christmas tree. The kids left the room door open.  Next morning, the tree was completely trashed and all the chocolate gone. Funnily, it didn’t do her any harm as chocolate as I’m sure you know is not meant to be good for dogs. 

She wont though try and nick food from the table. 

Lovely dog she is 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, shindigger said:

awwwe cute, can he rap?

You should watch the video

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Those were from last year, she has begun to slow up in the last few months

Haven't we all? Ack I've just seen the missus looking at weekend breaks in Geneva !

Edited by davidg

30 minutes ago, shindigger said:

I'm not watching that.

He's 4.

DSC_1111.JPG

DSC_1112.JPG

DSC_1113.JPG

DSC_1114.JPG

DSC_1115.JPG

DSC_1116.JPG

DSC_1117.JPG

he seems to be getting bigger

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Those were from last year, she has begun to slow up in the last few months but can still do a good hours walk.

yep, she would eat until she pops. She started limping badly when she was about seven.  Put her on a strict diet and omega tablets and the limps gone. You really have to watch their weight. Not easy. 

When she was a young dog, we put chocolate treats on the Christmas tree. The kids left the room door open.  Next morning, the tree was completely trashed and all the chocolate gone. Funnily, it didn’t do her any harm as chocolate as I’m sure you know is not meant to be good for dogs. 

She wont though try and nick food from the table. 

Lovely dog she is 

She's a honey. 

I have to feed my boy grain free stuff. He has the raging shytes otherwise.

Shame the vet never bothered telling me about that option.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, shindigger said:

She's a honey. 

I have to feed my boy grain free stuff. He has the raging shytes otherwise.

Shame the vet never bothered telling me about that option.

They are a very similar breed I think. Mine has a cast iron constitution. We did nearly lose her four years ago mum convinced that she ate some poison (there were stories of idiots putting it down in the forest and I caught her wasting what looked like a pile of melted chocolate) 

anyhow, two days later, she crawled under a bush in the garden to die. Rushed to the vet who diagnosed pancreatitis. In doggy hospital, drips, special diet, pills etc (don’t ask the cost). 

The reason why I think it was poison was that the vet said we would have to be careful of what she ate and that it would reoccur. It hasn’t. 

Edited by One percent
Loose instead of lose

Mine's even better looking - says me. (But I would say that, wouldn't I?!) Shall we have a best dog competition?!

Having watched that dog protection video tho (and having cried my eyes out) I must admit that my French (rescue) dog, (cos we live in France as it happens) is quite happy to abandon me!  (While the sob story claims this will never happen - not until she is dead at least?)

So maybe she abandoned her 1st owner rather than the other way round? (She was found wandering on a road with no collar or chip and no-one enquired after her, so that's how we came to adopted her.) And maybe we will be getting the heave-ho at some point too?

I already suspect she likes our neighbours more than us as she always ends up there after being AWOL for a few hours.

I guess she just likes her freedom too much as she loves to run and is very confident for a rescue dog.  Chases hares, deer, bikes, cars, other dogs etc.  We love her in spite of her stubbornness/lack of reliance us. (We are just here to serve her!)

But she's only about 18mths old (adopted a year ago) so we are still working on "recall" and her not giving in to her hunter instincts!  And I think/hope she thinks more of us than she shows!

She's part (or all) hound - so harder to re-home as most people assume they are harder to train. (Which is probably true.)

But hounds are usually lovely dogs and very friendly. (No use as a guard dogs of course!)  And now (end of hunting season) is when a load of them turn up in the refuge which is a charity run by local volunteers. (Volunteers are mostly but not all female Brits.)  Shame. The volunteers work so hard to re-home all their dogs. (Old or young.) As life in a refuge is not the best life for a dog. 

Just asked today for ppl who have adopted hounds to post encouraging photos and stories to encourage more ppl to take in a hound. (So I did my bit!)

It's so sad to see any dogs in a prison, desperate for a family. So I don't go there and try not to read too many of the profiles. As if one isn't careful one can end up with a pack of dogs instead of just one or 2!  (Some ppl have absolutely gone down this route!)

You'll be poorer and the house will be a hairy, dirty mess, but boy do those dogs love you back for taking them in. (They know!) So I might be tempted myself later in life, when staying home is all I will ever do.

Mishka asleep in a ball.jpg

1 minute ago, whocares said:

Mine's even better looking - says me. (But I would say that, wouldn't I?!) Shall we have a best dog competition?!

Having watched that dog protection video tho (and having cried my eyes out) I must admit that my French (rescue) dog, (cos we live in France as it happens) is quite happy to abandon me!  (While the sob story claims this will never happen - not until she is dead at least?)

So maybe she abandoned her 1st owner rather than the other way round? (She was found wandering on a road with no collar or chip and no-one enquired after her, so that's how we came to adopted her.) And maybe we will be getting the heave-ho at some point too?

I already suspect she likes our neighbours more than us as she always ends up there after being AWOL for a few hours.

I guess she just likes her freedom too much as she loves to run and is very confident for a rescue dog.  Chases hares, deer, bikes, cars, other dogs etc.  We love her in spite of her stubbornness/lack of reliance us. (We are just here to serve her!)

But she's only about 18mths old (adopted a year ago) so we are still working on "recall" and her not giving in to her hunter instincts!  And I think/hope she thinks more of us than she shows!

She's part (or all) hound - so harder to re-home as most people assume they are harder to train. (Which is probably true.)

But hounds are usually lovely dogs and very friendly. (No use as a guard dogs of course!)  And now (end of hunting season) is when a load of them turn up in the refuge which is a charity run by local volunteers. (Volunteers are mostly but not all female Brits.)  Shame. The volunteers work so hard to re-home all their dogs. (Old or young.) As life in a refuge is not the best life for a dog. 

Just asked today for ppl who have adopted hounds to post encouraging photos and stories to encourage more ppl to take in a hound. (So I did my bit!)

It's so sad to see any dogs in a prison, desperate for a family. So I don't go there and try not to read too many of the profiles. As if one isn't careful one can end up with a pack of dogs instead of just one or 2!  (Some ppl have absolutely gone down this route!)

You'll be poorer and the house will be a hairy, dirty mess, but boy do those dogs love you back for taking them in. (They know!) So I might be tempted myself later in life, when staying home is all I will ever do.

Mishka asleep in a ball.jpg

Lovely. She sounds to be part cat though 

1 hour ago, Economic Exile said:

^^^^lovely dog pics.

Yep, dogs are great.

I distrust any person who doesn't like dogs (or animals in general) .They have some massive character flaws. Beware of these sickos. They're trouble. 

3 minutes ago, Charles Carter said:

I distrust any person who doesn't like dogs (or animals in general) .They have some massive character flaws. Beware of these sickos. They're trouble. 

*apart from cats 

4 minutes ago, Charles Carter said:

Hmmm..... now let me think......

22 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Dogs are supposed to be loyal? Mine are anybodies for the price of a meaty treat.

2018-06-15_12-01-11.jpg

Which one is the designated driver?

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Lovely. Is that a grey or a lurcher?

They are lurchers. I think they were bred by gypsies. Not sure what exactly they're bred from, one looks like a small greyhound, the other has some saluki in him I think. They are utter killers though, we don't let them off without muzzles on these days.

2018-06-15_12-25-19.jpg

3 minutes ago, whocares said:

Which one is the designated driver?

They love a drive in the countryside.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

They are a very similar breed I think. Mine has a cast iron constitution. We did nearly lose her four years ago mum convinced that she ate some poison (there were stories of idiots putting it down in the forest and I caught her wasting what looked like a pile of melted chocolate) 

anyhow, two days later, she crawled under a bush in the garden to die. Rushed to the vet who diagnosed pancreatitis. In doggy hospital, drips, special diet, pills etc (don’t ask the cost). 

The reason why I think it was poison was that the vet said we would have to be careful of what she ate and that it would reoccur. It hasn’t. 

What sort of twisted bastard puts poison down for anyhting other than an obvious rat problem. Even then i use traps. 

Good on you for doing the right thing by her.

As long as i am fit enough to keep animals i shall do so.

They are essential to me.