• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Stephen Hawkins memorial

Another DM link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5847405/Stephen-Hawkings-memorial-service-LIVE-latest-late-physicists-Service-Thanksgiving.html

What a wierd collection of attendees.

Im surprised the cast of Love Islan were not invited.

I think Ill remember him in my own way - wheeling around in my work chair for 1m, dribbling.

Nile Rogers!!!!

I love Niles Rogers.

9 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Westminster Abbey, along with Charles Darwin and Isaac Newton. That's one hell of an accolade.

Can the physicists of Dosbods say whether Hawking's work is comparable with those great names? If it is, I wasn't aware of it.

It was up there. He’d have definitely got a nobel if someone had figured out how to observe Hawking radiation for example. You’ve also got to consider how much smaller the field was when Newton was around, the competition in physics (and complexity) now vs then is so much greater.

New Scientist covered this well:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2053929-a-brief-history-of-stephen-hawking-a-legacy-of-paradox/

In the MSM soap opera for the proles they call 'The News'. I've long suspected Hawking played the role of scientist, in the way Branson plays the part of businessman. Having David Walliams and Tim Peake rock up to the memorial service does little to dissuade me of that.

I hope @Happy Renting

is ok as I would have expected his Tim Peake detector to have gone off by now.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, SNACR said:

In the MSM soap opera for the proles they call 'The News'. I've long suspected Hawking played the role of scientist, in the way Branson plays the part of businessman. Having David Walliams and Tim Peake rock up to the memorial service does little to dissuade me of that.

I hope @Happy Renting

is ok as I would have expected his Tim Peake detector to have gone off by now.

To be fair, Hawkings was probably a media-go to because he ticked the right boxes - ie, a raspberry ripple with the 'correct' political views. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

55 minutes ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

I know the undertakers doing this, we are looking after their daughter this afternoon while they are busy.

That information can qualify as the most trivial thing you found out today.

Should not be much trouble.

I am assuming his coffins going to have wheels too.

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Westminster Abbey, along with Charles Darwin and Isaac Newton. That's one hell of an accolade.

Can the physicists of Dosbods say whether Hawking's work is comparable with those great names? If it is, I wasn't aware of it.

I understood the first two chapters of his book...then completely lost....so he must be great.

I think Hawkins, as @Austin Allegro said being a Raspberry, got you double or triple SJW points. Therefore had a lot of hangers on, random interactions with him would be given much more credence that your normal celeb meeting. 

I know somebody who met him via work last year and never stops going on about it. 

I've always doubted how interactive he was, not doubting his mental capabilities but the idea you could interact and have a conversation with him in real time via his speak and spell set up.  

Posted (edited)

Hawking was an atheist, so why is there a church service, I assume with prayers to the god he never believed  even existed and why is he being buried (well some ash residue) in one of god's houses?

Edited by satch

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Was going to have a scroll through the comments to that but should have guessed

Comments are disabled for this video

Edit: I was also put in mind of this when someone was mentioning Hawking's actual scientific achievements upthread.

Edited by SNACR

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

It was up there. He’d have definitely got a nobel if someone had figured out how to observe Hawking radiation for example. You’ve also got to consider how much smaller the field was when Newton was around, the competition in physics (and complexity) now vs then is so much greater.

New Scientist covered this well:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2053929-a-brief-history-of-stephen-hawking-a-legacy-of-paradox/

So he's come up with a theory in one narrow field nobody can yet prove, and yet we're told to put him up with the likes of Newton and Darwin who made huge leap forwards and changed the game? I don't get it.

7 minutes ago, gibbon said:

So he's come up with a theory in one narrow field nobody can yet prove, and yet we're told to put him up with the likes of Newton and Darwin who made huge leap forwards and changed the game? I don't get it.

Not at all narrow:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/15/17119194/stephen-hawking-black-hole-radiation-quantum-mechanics-general-relativity

Honestly, talk to any real theoretical physicist and they’ll tell you Hawking is up there.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Not at all narrow:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/15/17119194/stephen-hawking-black-hole-radiation-quantum-mechanics-general-relativity

Honestly, talk to any real theoretical physicist and they’ll tell you Hawking is up there.

LOL The verge. Would any theoretical physicist kill their career by stating publicly that he was full of shit? 

Edited by gibbon

33 minutes ago, gibbon said:

LOL The verge. Would any theoretical physicist kill their career by stating publicly that he was full of shit? 

There’s a million other links like it, that was just the first I found. Hawkins achievement was connecting quantum mechanics with general relativity, which is why other physicists rate him. I guess it could turn out to be incorrect - which is why he didn’t get the Nobel - but the weight of opinion is that it’s real and that someone will figure out how to observe it sooner or later.

I think Landau had the idea that there is a logarithmic scale of greatness in physicists.

I can't be arsed to look it up now, so I'll waffle from memory. The idea is that Newton, Einstein and Maxwell were in the 0th rank: they each produced large numbers of ground-breaking results, and came up with new fundamental laws of physics. Someone in the "first rank" would be an order of magnitude less important.

Hawking would qualify for the enormous accolade of being first rank: his work on radiation from black holes was probably a comparable breakthrough to Einstein's prediction of stimulated light emission (i.e. lasers), or his derivation of the relation between mobility and diffusivity (the fluctuation-dissipation theorem). Einstein's argument in each of those papers is both simpler and more beautiful than Hawking's work, but comparable. Einstein, of course, also came up with special relativity, a new theory of gravity, founded quantum mechanics, proved the existence of atoms, and invented a fridge, amongst other things. Hawking also came up with topological theorems about black holes (singularities) with Roger Penrose, but it's pretty clear he was at least an order of magnitude less important than EInstein.

As a physicist, I'd be about rank 10.

Wasn't his main claim to fame pondering impossible stuff without actually getting any closer to solving anything. His most famous quote.."My goal is simple, it is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all".