• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Malthus

Airport security

As a bloke I always like to be able to open a bottle or tighten a screw so bought a wallet multi tool which claims it TAS ( yanks I know ) approved 

Flew several times with it and can’t see how it is in anyway dangerous. 

Flying home from Manchester yesterday, was flagged at x Ray 

Told it was forbidden and removed 

plus watching another passenger having to move all his liquids into a different bag because his was too big ffs 

Rant over 

Amyone know of a basic multi tool the jobsworths approve of ? 

E1B75A48-CCC8-4FCA-A62D-8830796F14BB.jpeg

If they're having a bad day they just take what they want and no right of appeal.  I would imagine it's  a waste of time to complain as thy will have "lost" (i.e. one of them will have had it) your tool.

There's a particularly miserable woman at Exeter airport who sticks in my mind for demanding my ex try to take off her simple gold bracelet (which has been on ?twenty years and clearly won't come off) and after it was demonstrated that it won't come off she said it may need to do so next time.  Bugger off, this person should not be in a position of power.  For what nefarious purpose does she expect a bracelet could be used anyway?

11 minutes ago, Malthus said:

As a bloke I always like to be able to open a bottle or tighten a screw so bought a wallet multi tool which claims it TAS ( yanks I know ) approved 

Flew several times with it and can’t see how it is in anyway dangerous. 

Flying home from Manchester yesterday, was flagged at x Ray 

Told it was forbidden and removed 

plus watching another passenger having to move all his liquids into a different bag because his was too big ffs 

Rant over 

Amyone know of a basic multi tool the jobsworths approve of ? 

Loads of screws on a plane to undo  :ph34r:

Doubt they even thought of that though O.o

as  @Frank Hovis said, some tool somewhere will have a nice new tool

I go through Schiphol about 30 times a year. 

Last 3 times I've been pulled out for additional screening before getting on a plane to the US. All 3 times by a tanned men with beards. Last one had the fucking cheek to try to strike up a conversation with me. 

Just take your swabs, pat me down, check my bags and please, shut the fuck up.

48 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If they're having a bad day they just take what they want and no right of appeal.  I would imagine it's  a waste of time to complain as thy will have "lost" (i.e. one of them will have had it) your tool.

There's a particularly miserable woman at Exeter airport who sticks in my mind for demanding my ex try to take off her simple gold bracelet (which has been on ?twenty years and clearly won't come off) and after it was demonstrated that it won't come off she said it may need to do so next time.  Bugger off, this person should not be in a position of power.  For what nefarious purpose does she expect a bracelet could be used anyway?

I don't think it's the bracelet itself they're worried about. I'd imagine they're more worried the bracelet is being used as an excuse for them setting the metal detector off and they do actually have a weapon on them.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I don't think it's the bracelet itself they're worried about. I'd imagine they're more worried the bracelet is being used as an excuse for them setting the metal detector off and they do actually have a weapon on them.

But they can just ask her to put her arm up and run the manual detector over her.  What do they do if somebody has a medical metal plate fitted?  Suggest that they have it surgically removed?

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

But they can just ask her to put her arm up and run the manual detector over her.  What do they do if somebody has a medical metal plate fitted?  Suggest that they have it surgically removed?

it's all about compliance, you must submit to my authoritee

They are hard to find, but transparent bags of exactly 1L are available. I have a small bag of toiletries for short trips with everything marked and totalling less that 1 Litre. Bulkier stuff and sharps can go in the hold.

Last time I was pulled up for nail scissors with 3cm blades. The guard theatrically unpacked it and measured the blades even though they were obviously half the permitted length.

I love flying. I hate airports.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I get your viewpoint. However airport security are damned no matter what they do. If they do a thorough job they get criticised if they don't do a thorough job they get criticised.

It wouldn't really be that hard to put a knife in the sleeve of your jacket and say "sorry, it's this old bracelet setting the machine off. I've tried taking it off and the clasp is stuck".

Lol, I was in a part time military unit and we were told not to put the hand held metal detector next to the genital area in case they had a piercing. We weren't meant to embarrass people.

Going through Chinese Security is a chore. Last time they pulled our bag from the scanner and emptied the entire contents into the tray. They then found my daughters pencil case and removed her blunt plastic child-safe scissors and threw them in the bin leaving me with a crying child to deal with. I felt like stabbing the fuckers through the eye with the sharpened pencils that they had left in the pencil case 😂

Just again this week I was really careful to remove every bit of metal bar the zip in my flies and went through the detector machine and it starts bleeping. Bloke directs me to the other scanner machine and as I am in the queue a woman wearing quite a bit of jewellery goes through the metal detector and nothing happens. I asked the bloke what's going on and he says it bleeped at me "randomly". 

Like fuck it's random it's nearly every time. It's got so I won't go in the body scanner now as they say it's safe (they're told to say that, they have no idea how it works really) but I somehow don't believe it especially if you get a cumulative dose from going through it a lot. 

If you refuse then they can't make you get in it but hoik you off somewhere and two other blokes search you manually. I ended up having quite a conversation with them they say it's a shit job and they get marked down all the time if they don't find stuff deliberately brought through by mystery shoppers belonging to the security firm.  Which is why they are so nazi I suppose. Whole thing narks me off intensely. 

Posted (edited)

I've flown with a Gerber shard on a key ring with no problems. The shard gives you a cap lifter, and a few screwdriver options.

I've also got the cap lifter on my keys out of an old Swiss army knife, which I broke up for parts. There's a knack to getting a bottle open with it, but once you get the hang of it it's not difficult. You put it on the cap facing you, and then pull up on the split ring while pushing down on the cap lifter with your thumb.

DSC_0901.JPG

DSC_0902.JPG

Edited by SpectrumFX

1 hour ago, ad_ceng said:

It is all security theater, take a look at the religion of many of the people doing the searching  

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Last 3 times I've been pulled out for additional screening before getting on a plane to the US. All 3 times by a tanned men with beards. Last one had the fucking cheek to try to strike up a conversation with me. 

1 hour ago, ashestoashes said:

it's all about compliance, you must submit to my authoritee

Totally agree with all of the above.

Another common type of person on security detail are lezzers 9_9