• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Doggy lovers please help

Scabbie council have unilaterally moved the boundary on the beach at Whitby for where you can walk you dog. The access steps at the start of the new boundary are not easily accessible. There was no consultation, they have just done it, my guess, is to appease incomers. 

Be grateful if people would sign

https://www.change.org/p/scarborough-borough-council-whitby-beach-needs-safe-access-for-dog-owners-limits-need-reverting-to-2017-boundary?recruiter=38371450&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=356861

1 minute ago, Byron said:

I don't think that dogs should be allowed on beaches where children play and bathe.

I don't think that they should be allowed off leads on such beaches but allowing responsible owners who have their dog on a lead and clears up after them is a decent middle ground IMO.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

What?  Where is the grammatical mistake?  xD

No you daft bint.

He thought you'd be on all-fours waiting for an assault by his love cannon...

XYY

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think that they should be allowed off leads on such beaches but allowing responsible owners who have their dog on a lead and clears up after them is a decent middle ground IMO.

off lead allowed before 8 and after 6 between june and september should protect the children

28 minutes ago, One percent said:

Scabbie council have unilaterally moved the boundary on the beach at Whitby for where you can walk you dog. The access steps at the start of the new boundary are not easily accessible. There was no consultation, they have just done it, my guess, is to appease incomers. 

Be grateful if people would sign

https://www.change.org/p/scarborough-borough-council-whitby-beach-needs-safe-access-for-dog-owners-limits-need-reverting-to-2017-boundary?recruiter=38371450&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=356861

If the steps are Council fitted, and so an approved access to the beach, is the Council obliged to maintain them so they are safe to use? H&S 'n all

Perhaps it would be profitable to twist an ankle ?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Byron said:

I don't think that dogs should be allowed on beaches where children play and bathe.

Fine as long as kids are banned from restaurants. I’m fed up of having a paid for meal ruined by misbehaving kids.

edit to add and the council does something to stop visitors parking on the sea wall, which is not a public highway 

19 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

If the steps are Council fitted, and so an approved access to the beach, is the Council obliged to maintain them so they are safe to use? H&S 'n all

Perhaps it would be profitable to twist an ankle ?

They are very old steps built into the sea wall. 

Edited by One percent

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Fine as long as kids are banned from restaurants. I’m fed up of having a paid for meal ruined by misbehaving kids.

edit to add and the council does something to stop visitors parking on the sea wall, which is not a public highway 

They are very old steps built into the sea wall. 

So they are a Council-owned access to the beach. Not some makeshft steps (like a pile of boulders) cobbled together by the public.

So the Council is liable for their safety, surely

The cost of maintining them will probably get the boundary moved back

While an animal lover I hate dogs on beaches. Although it's the owners fault 100% of the time. I don't want a dog running up to me shaking it's wet self over me, sticking it's wet nose in my face, looking for my sandwiches, covering me in sand, or pissing on my bag or leaving an unbagged pile of shit. And I don't accept a jocular "sorreeee' from the owner as recompense. It's a shame that most dog onwers spoil it for most dogs.

Edited by Hopeful

Last time I was at Tynemouth it was like playing hopscotch walking along the sea front avoiding all the dog mess left. Shame a few irresponsible dog owners spoil it for the majority.

1 minute ago, Fossildog said:

Last time I was at Tynemouth it was like playing hopscotch walking along the sea front avoiding all the dog mess left. Shame a few irresponsible dog owners spoil it for the majority.

The few times that I have seen this it has happened because dogs had been allowed to run free out of the supervision of the owner; dogs do these things as a matter of course but the owner should be there to spot it and pick it up.  Not having a doze whilst their dog craps in a bathing area.

I would assume that somebody who has travelled to a beach to walk their dog and keeps them on their lead is de facto a responsible owner.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

The few times that I have seen this it has happened because dogs had been allowed to run free out of the supervision of the owner; dogs do these things as a matter of course but the owner should be there to spot it and pick it up.  Not having a doze whilst their dog craps in a bathing area.

I would assume that somebody who has travelled to a beach to walk their dog and keeps them on their lead is de facto a responsible owner.

My hound walks to heal without been on the lead. I don’t know why I (and my hound) should be made to suffer because of irresponsible owners. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

My hound walks to heal without been on the lead. I don’t know why I (and my hound) should be made to suffer because of irresponsible owners. 

How does a council official identify which is a responsible and which an irresponsible owner at a glance without having the benefit of knowing the owner personally?  Whether it's on a lead or not is the obvious test.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I always drive to the speed limit, why should my car's suspension get knackered to bits by sleeping policemen ?

If I was a dog owner I'd feel like you. But then i'd be proactive in going upto badly behaved dog owners and giving them a piece of my mind.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

How does a council official identify which is a responsible and which an irresponsible owner at a glance without having the benefit of knowing the owner personally?  Whether it's on a lead or not is the obvious test.

Just now, Hopeful said:

I always drive to the speed limit, why should my car's suspension get knackered to bits by sleeping policemen ?

Both excellent examples of where the acti9ns of the feckless impact negatively on those who act responsible. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, One percent said:

Both excellent examples of where the acti9ns of the feckless impact negatively on those who act responsible. 

As I edited

If I was a dog owner I'd feel like you. But then i'd be proactive in going up to badly behaved dog owners and giving them a piece of my mind. Which you may do.

When I had a horse I'd always trot on to a passing place or gateway (up hill, on the level or down hill) if a car came up behind me on a narrow road - although it would be different if the car roared up behind me. It's just common sense. Horse owners that plod along for miles with a queue of cars behind piss me off and I'd tell them so - "Don't you know how to fucking trot?"

Likewise I rip into dog owners who think they need poop bags on country foot paths. They may not be the ones leaving the shit  swinging in the trees, but plenty do. Just kick the shit in the hedge FFS, or train the dog to shit off the path.

I've just told the neighbour to "fuck off" - that should make next Saturday's party interesting. GF can pick up the pieces later.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

As I edited

If I was a dog owner I'd feel like you. But then i'd be proactive in going up to badly behaved dog owners and giving them a piece of my mind. Which you may do.

When I had a horse I'd alwasy trot on to a passing place or gateway (up hill, on the level or down hill) if a car came up behind me on a narrow road - although it would be different if the car roared up behind me. It's just common sense. Horse owners that plod along for miles with a queue of cars behind piss me off and I'd tell them so - "Don't you know how to fucking trot?"

👍

there are inconsiderate people and considerate people. They may or may not own animals. 

If an inconsiderate person is in charge of something else, whether it’s an animal or a child, it just compounds their stupidity tenfold.  

1 hour ago, Byron said:

Agreed!

We had the local primary school blocked from being rebuilt by local dog walkers.

The new school was to be built on an area  that is an open dog sewer where people walk there dogs.

The old school was full of asbestos and built on landfill which was moving causing large cracks and movement in the school, it needed replacing desperately.

It was more important to them to keep their dog toilet than a school for the local children.

I love dogs but kids come first IMO

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Or perhaps I am just an old perv.

I literally didn't understand what you were going on about until you asked the above and I reread the thread title old perv chap.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the thin end of the wedge. In 20 years people will probably have to register their pets with the local authority and have their walking routes approved beforehand. This is already the case for people who want to have pet pigs. Purportedly it's for livestock disease control.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Responsible ....Ahhh. Ive seen you spent time holidaying with people from greater boro.

Im with the council on this as a big percentage are not responsible.

You could enforce a breed ban - labs, middle class dogs ok.

Douge bourdoux, akitas, 5 rotties, pitbulls etc banned.

11 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the thin end of the wedge. In 20 years people will probably have to register their pets with the local authority and have their walking routes approved beforehand. This is already the case for people who want to have pet pigs. Purportedly it's for livestock disease control.

Id be happy with all dogs being chipped and dog insurance required insurance can be priced on breed.