• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Fruitcake

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

How do you deal with fruitcake? I'm currently ignoring them whilst the steam and rant on FB.

Read the thread on how to delete farcebook?  

Is it someone you actually meet or just a farcebook presence Sarah?

I was having this conversation with someone last night. FB brings out a peculiar belief in people that anyone else actually gives a shit what they think. I would genuinely love to see the number of people who had resolved to vote one way in an election, only to have their views reversed 180 degrees by the compelling, well reasoned and cognisant arguments put forward by a FB friend in a series of memes and rants. I suspect it is somewhere between 0 and zero.

I particularly like the fruitie posts that begin, "To the car driver / cyclist / horse rider who pissed me off on my way to work this morning...". I'm always tempted to reply that it's a remarkable coincidence that the offending other person also happens to be a friend of theirs on FB yet they don't know their names.

Best advice though is stay the hell away from FB.

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Read the thread on how to delete farcebook?  

Is it someone you actually meet or just a farcebook presence Sarah?

She's on the lotty. and is very dotty. 

1 minute ago, sukuinage said:

Thought this was going to be a pleasant discussion as to what to eat with ones tea!

Well dundee cake or iced cake? And then icing or marizpan and icing. 
M&I for me every time. In fact sod the cake.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

She's on the lotty. and is very dotty. 

Well dundee cake or iced cake? And then icing or marizpan and icing. 
M&I for me every time. In fact sod the cake.

Definitely M&I although I'm also partial to Dundee cake with a chunk of Wensleydale, "Eh, Grommit?"

47 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

How do you deal with fruitcake? I'm currently ignoring them whilst the steam and rant on FB.

The only uniqiue thign about FB is it forces to people top put down in writing whatever half thought ideas are in their heads.

I dont un-friend friends. Bit OTT and I can friends with people without 100% agreeing to all their opinions - although some of my FB friends struggle with that concept.

Besides, most of the dumbest thing Ive read tend to be friends of friends commented on a post.

There's some extreme logic bending going on for Corbyn and Labour at the mo.

Stuff like 'Well he has some good ideas' Agreed. But he has other ideas that are totally fucking nuts and some are so much gravy for his union backers hat they scream self-interest -witness trains and all that.

A lot are trotting out he line 'Well, if everyone could meet Jeremy they would like him. Ive met him a few years ago. Hes a self-important, self righteous cunt. Most the Labour MPs have met him too. They are mainly of the same opinion.

Then they say - Well he wants to help the ordinary working man. In which case he needs to be looking at reducing UKGOV spending ASAP. Hes not.

Then, after making all these cases, they'll come up with somethign along lines of 'Well, Im not sure the man i the street shld make these decision. There needs to be a selection of people hwo can vote, on their behal. They dont whats good for them'. Its amazing how supposed left of centre evolve quickly to a some sort of fedualism/aristo wank - Arise King Corbyn, Empereor for ever.

My normal response to that is that the electorate have been through the UK school system. If you feel that is not good I suggest all teachers are sacked and tested before rehiring. Most of the people coming up with 'Not clever enough t vote' tend to be in education..

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

A lot are trotting out he line 'Well, if everyone could meet Jeremy they would like him. Ive met him a few years ago. Hes a self-important, self righteous cunt. Most the Labour MPs have met him too. They are mainly of the same opinion.

:-D

57 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

Thought this was going to be a pleasant discussion as to what to eat with ones tea!

Me too.

My mum was always making fruitcake and I loved it. I guess persuading my wife to recreate my mums culinary masterpieces is not something that wives respond very well to.

An elderly neighbour made me a fruitcake last week. Looked fab. I keep pointing out that wheat makes me unwell. OK, I will have a sliceo f cake now and then but a whole cake - the woman is trying to kill me. Anyhow, the birds have enjoyed it over the past week. I just put out the last bit of the cake for them. They are going to be kicking in my door tomorrow wondering where the cake is.

In terms of human fruitcakes, best to avoid.

7 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Me too.

My mum was always making fruitcake and I loved it. I guess persuading my wife to recreate my mums culinary masterpieces is not something that wives respond very well to.

It took me some decades to figure out that one needs a woman who is a good cook. Who enjoys it. I dated one woman who wrote in her dating profile that she enjoyed cooking - a year or so into the relationship I wondered where the cooking was and was told not to be silly and that she had written that she did not enjoy cooking. Bitch - I now realise that she knew the importance that men put on a woman being a good cook.

I used to think nothing of it when I was younger but, having seen the benefits of women who enjoy cooking, I now rate the importance of this in a potential partner. Again, this is important info that men need to know when young.

No, it is not sexist to want a woman too be a good cook. Many women seem to enjoy it and see it as part of the nesting and home-making thing. Just as they expect men to be great at DIY, etc.

32 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It took me some decades to figure out that one needs a woman who is a good cook. Who enjoys it. I dated one woman who wrote in her dating profile that she enjoyed cooking - a year or so into the relationship I wondered where the cooking was and was told not to be silly and that she had written that she did not enjoy cooking. Bitch - I now realise that she knew the importance that men put on a woman being a good cook.

I used to think nothing of it when I was younger but, having seen the benefits of women who enjoy cooking, I now rate the importance of this in a potential partner. Again, this is important info that men need to know when young.

No, it is not sexist to want a woman too be a good cook. Many women seem to enjoy it and see it as part of the nesting and home-making thing. Just as they expect men to be great at DIY, etc.

My wife cannot cook. She even has a solicitor's letter stating that she cannot cook.

Which is why I got myself such a cracker. She needed a man that could cook and that narrowed down her search pool quite significantly which was how she ended up with me :D

In my experience, a man that can cook is in much demand. Whilst my mates were taking women to restaurants and trying to get them back to their place afterwards, I would invite them round for a very decent dinner so they were already 'in situ' for 'afters'.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Cheese and cake.. It'll never catch on...

Yorkshire gingerbread, the one that has the texture of a house brick when first baked, slathered in butter with a slice of cheese is wonderful 

19 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yorkshire gingerbread, the one that has the texture of a house brick when first baked, slathered in butter with a slice of cheese is wonderful 

Brack not bread!

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Brack not bread!

Different things.  Black is soft and sponge like. Bread is like a house brick.  It needs to be made about six to eight weeks prior to eating it, wrapped in tinfoil and left to soften. Then it's like a very soft brick. xD.  

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I have many people on ignore on my FB list and I've recently went one step further and just avoided Facebook all together. I think it brings out a bad side of people and most people's lives would be better either without it, or as something that you check maybe once a week instead of once an hour.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Different things.  Black is soft and sponge like. Bread is like a house brick.  It needs to be made about six to eight weeks prior to eating it, wrapped in tinfoil and left to soften. Then it's like a very soft brick. xD.  

Oh no no no Ms 1%, Prof Patel will be being very unhappy with our Inglish.

Remind me, wich one has treacle in it?

I thought Brack is like fruit bread.

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Oh no no no Ms 1%, Prof Patel will be being very unhappy with our Inglish.

Remind me, wich one has treacle in it?

I thought Brack is like fruit bread.

Brack is like a fruit bread, which in turn is a sponge cake with fruit in it.  Ginger bread has a very dense, hard texture.  

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Hah, see I'm the other way round. I started cooking when I was around 13 years old (I realised I was going to need to feed myself at some point and there was no way I was eating pre-packed rubbish) and now think I'm rather good at it. I find it pretty effortless too. Consequently, I'd feel rather emasculated if a partner was better than me at cooking. Probably not coincidentally, my wife absolutely hates cooking. She looks like she's having a breakdown preparing bangers and mash.

I am also great at DIY and hung like a donkey. I'm quite a catch really.