• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Time for a new laptop?

This one overheated in a marathon of Unix compiling which took 800 minutes. Anyway I took the bottom off and the fan was full of dirty fluff. I cleaned it out and now it's OK again. I imagine this thread will attract limited interest.o.O

Just now, axolotl said:

What colour was the fluff?

A fairly rotten burned caramel colour. I knew there was one fact I had forgotten. It was full of burned hair and dead flies.

Just now, MrPin said:

A fairly rotten burned caramel colour. I knew there was one fact I had forgotten. It was full of burned hair and dead flies.

OK. I'm only really interested in blue fluff.

Where are you going to put your burnt hair and dead flies now?

This is  a "gaming" laptop, and I would like similar. I don't even play computer games but these generally have good screens, and posh GPU. This one is by MSI, and it is really well made, but I am taken back by some of the new prices, and in five years, they don't seem to have improved much, and have lost the optical drive, and got the SSD drives, which I believe go wrong regularly.

13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This one overheated in a marathon of Unix compiling which took 800 minutes. Anyway I took the bottom off and the fan was full of dirty fluff. I cleaned it out and now it's OK again. I imagine this thread will attract limited interest.o.O

What were you compiling?  Even X should be quicker than that.

[I remember compiling X and it taking 24 hours, but that was a gazillion years ago]

1 minute ago, dgul said:

What were you compiling?  Even X should be quicker than that.

[I remember compiling X and it taking 24 hours, but that was a gazillion years ago]

Yes it was the whole of X, and a kernel rebuild in one. They had to match.:Old:

Frank would be delighted to know I would be claiming my new "games machine" is a business expense, but I don't want to pay loopy money for it, but over 32G or RAM in a laptop now seems to be a lot to ask.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This one is by MSI

I was convinced you had an HP until you said that. Their consumer laptops were bottom of the reliability tables forever. My daughter had one and it was same as yours, fluff built up so it go hot. The difference was even partially disassembled I still couldn't clear the fluff. Would have had to take it completely to bits. In the end system board burnt out and I got her a Dell.

Posted (edited)

I recall a 40 min BBC documentary investigating the origin of belly button fluff. Scientists discovered that fluff colour is dependent on colour of underwear. Photography showed fluff being moved by body hair towards belly button.

The licence fee was worth it back then.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

I got the fluff out with compressed air and a small stiff brush. Then an industrial vacuum cleaner. I disagree, and this MSI has been really solid for work and play. Would get another. Although HP do make some good stuff too, I always associate them with work, and grey suits.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I recall a 40 min BBC documentary investigating the origin of belly button fluff. Scientists discovered that fluff colour is dependent on colour of underwear. Photography showed fluff being moved by body hair towards belly button.

The licence fee was worth it back then.

Jeans were blue, and the colour came out, hence blue fluff. What happened to jeans where the colour came out? And you had to have a bath in them to make them fit. Some idiot in the 80s re-invented fly buttons, when zippers were really good before. Get off a motorbike in the cold and you have pissed in your boots before you can release the little boy.O.o

I don't want a desktop. I know you can get more power for the money, but it has to travel a lot. For that reason I don't want a screen that's as big as a ping pong table.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I don't want a desktop. I know you can get more power for the money, but it has to travel a lot. For that reason I don't want a screen that's as big as a ping pong table.

Can’t to get a cart, or a shopping trolley? 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Can’t to get a cart, or a shopping trolley? 

This was not English. Is the gin bottle empty?

17 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Get a longer extension cable. And a bigger car. Portable's just a frame of mind.

I'm guessing new gaming laptops are expensive because the chips in new graphics cards are expensive ... because of crypto.

However, an old laptop is probably not going to be a purchase for currency miners, so can you not just buy the same model, but second hand? Maybe discretely ask the seller about the level of his/her belly-button fluff first, to avoid a repeat failure in the near future?

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I got the fluff out with compressed air and a small stiff brush. Then an industrial vacuum cleaner.

Whoa, that sounds very hard on the belly button

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

Yes it was the whole of X, and a kernel rebuild in one. They had to match.:Old:

I'm sure those nice people at Ubuntu provide binaries nowadays; you no longer need to roll your own kernel.

(runs for the hills)

9 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

I'm sure those nice people at Ubuntu provide binaries nowadays; you no longer need to roll your own kernel.

(runs for the hills)

It's Gentoo! It builds itsself. It's for work, not for me.:Old:It works pretty well but when it doesn't I have to go "back Jack and do it again"