• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

dos > tos

We currently have 51 online users while they have 43. And counting just actual members online, we're comfortably ahead by 24 to 7 (the balance being "guests").

I've been keeping an eye on it since thr recent friction, and they've been slightly ahead during the day (in total numbers anyway, couldn't be bothered counting up the members). 

1 hour ago, steppensheep said:

We currently have 51 online users while they have 43. And counting just actual members online, we're comfortably ahead by 24 to 7 (the balance being "guests").

I've been keeping an eye on it since thr recent friction, and they've been slightly ahead during the day (in total numbers anyway, couldn't be bothered counting up the members). 

I cant sleep either.

5 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Off topic and financial threads have virtually no traffic over there, and talking about house prices is like watching paint dry.

Have they gone up again?  A forum dedicated to calling it wrong.  For over ten years. No wonder they are bitter. xD

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

The site's ethos remains correct and had we not had governments and the BoE colluding to keep the house price bubble going then ToS would have been lauded and cited throughout the land for its prescience and be one of the most popular forums on the web.

As it is a lot of long term posters there (and now here) have given up on what's right by conceding and buying a house which then reduced their enthusiasm.  A crash will prove them right but will no longer produce financial gain.

Exactly. And the other thing is,  if or when a genuine crash does come then that forum will pick up again. It picked up after Brexit a lot,  old posters who hadn't signed in for years reappeared. Anyone googling house price crash will find them easily too whereas they won't find Dosbods. 

Although they could do with some changes....:Old:

Posted (edited)

TOS isnt just about house prices though its also about red pill'ing people about economics, politics, immigration, vested interests, fractional reserve, sound money etc etc.

Yes DOSBODS covers some of that ground but TOS is useful as a more official focus for those topics, its just a shame corporate interests and moderation is killing it.

Edited by goldbug9999

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The site's ethos remains correct and had we not had governments and the BoE colluding to keep the house price bubble going then ToS would have been lauded and cited throughout the land for its prescience and be one of the most popular forums on the web.

As it is a lot of long term posters there (and now here) have given up on what's right by conceding and buying a house which then reduced their enthusiasm.  A crash will prove them right but will no longer produce financial gain.

A lot maybe, but not all.......

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

........As it is a lot of long term posters there (and now here) have given up on what's right by conceding and buying a house which then reduced their enthusiasm.  A crash will prove them right but will no longer produce financial gain.

I was a long term HPC reader.  It changed what house I bought, when I bought, where I bought, and how I bought, all for the better.  I also missed out on millions in BTL from way back but that's fine as I don't sell contraband or pimp either!  I still find value here and maybe there about housing and beyond.

Edited by No Duff

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was lucky and rode the bubble despite the criticism I received from TOS. We're, well my wife is, looking to move, a crash would have little impact on us as we would be buying and selling in the same market. The fly in the ointment would be if a slowdown made the process longer.

If DB is correct with his forecast it may be that nominal prices mask the real change.  Which may or may not be a problem that inflation causes. On the one hand those with mortgage debt will repay less capital, whether that is outweighed by higher interest rates is dependent on individual circumstances.

The real danger as always is the transitionary phase. I much prefer consistent government policies. You can then adapt to them, its when they chop and change that you can be wrong footed.

20 minutes ago, No Duff said:

I was a long term HPC reader.  It change what house I bought, when I bought, where I bought, and how I bought, all for the better.  I also missed out on millions in BTL from way back but that's fine as I don't sell contraband or pimp either!  I still find value here and maybe there about housing and beyond.

The investment section was very good, read the more excitable elements of the press and you would have been buying BTLs and RBS shares in 2007.  I didn't find it, or any investment forum, particularly great in helping you decide in what to invest but they are great at identifying lemons and saving you from expensive mistakes.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I was lucky and rode the bubble despite the criticism I received from TOS. We're, well my wife is, looking to move, a crash would have little impact on us as we would be buying and selling in the same market. The fly in the ointment would be if a slowdown made the process longer.

If DB is correct with his forecast it may be that nominal prices mask the real change.  Which may or may not be a problem that inflation causes. On the one hand those with mortgage debt will repay less capital, whether that is outweighed by higher interest rates is dependent on individual circumstances.

The real danger as always is the transitionary phase. I much prefer consistent government policies. You can then adapt to them, its when they chop and change that you can be wrong footed.

I still want the big crash as whilst I own and I like where I live if there were major falls then I'd buy somewhere very nice with a bit of land and retire.

I don't know that it will happen in nominal terms but real terms over a few years, maybe.  So all I need to do is make sure that my investments match or beat inflation and wait.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The investment section was very good, read the more excitable elements of the press and you would have been buying BTLs and RBS shares in 2007.  I didn't find it, or any investment forum, particularly great in helping you decide in what to invest but they are great at identifying lemons and saving you from expensive mistakes.

Yup, kept you grounded.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I still want the big crash as whilst I own and I like where I live if there were major falls then I'd buy somewhere very nice with a bit of land and retire.

I don't know that it will happen in nominal terms but real terms over a few years, maybe.  So all I need to do is make sure that my investments match or beat inflation and wait.

I don't care about a crash.  My house is a piece of equipment for living in, like my car is for driving.  Actually I want a bit of a crash to improve affordability, curtail the rip off, and hopefully get some perspective back on what is real value, with mixed views on those it could hurt (not that a loss of value itself is a "hurt").

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

......I don't know that it will happen in nominal terms but real terms over a few years, maybe.....

Already has for those who understand the concept of value, especially relative value.