DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Income tax to go up to pay for the NHS

Game_of_Homes

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

63% of the population are overweight or obese, and that number is rising at a faster rate than the USA.

Gonna be a lot of sick folk to look after over the next few decades.

It's screwing ordinary working people, again. Some large corporations ought to fess up to their tax liability

One percent

Yet those on bennies will still get prescriptions and everything else free. 

Its at the point where it isn’t worth working 

Could they just charge everyone £8.60 for a prescription? 
Stop me feeling quite so sad that that I'm the only one paying.

Or maybe they should charge £8.60 a visit to the GP and you get a free prescription?

No Duff (troll)

Er, shouldn't that be corporation taxes increasing?  After all, they're the only ones benefiting from all these extra people who are needing health care and what not.  They get low wages, not having to train people, and increased demand and we get income tax rises.

Game_of_Homes
4 minutes ago, No Duff said:

Er, shouldn't that be corporation taxes increasing?  After all, they're the only ones benefiting from all these extra people who are needing health care and what not.

Perhaps there is a twist in the income tax increasing route and what they mean is they are going to make dividend tax levels the same as income tax? There has been a lot in the press about this possibility recently.

No Duff (troll)
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

63% of the population are overweight or obese, and that number is rising at a faster rate than the USA.

Gonna be a lot of sick folk to look after over the next few decades.

Make shite, advertise shite, make people feel like shite, pay shite all tax, tell the politicians to do shite all, and so you get shite.

No Duff (troll)
3 minutes ago, Game_of_Homes said:

Perhaps there is a twist in the income tax increasing route and what they mean is they are going to make dividend tax levels the same as income tax? There has been a lot in the press about this possibility recently.

Clever you. Indeed, and now they have come up with a fake pretence.  We're either getting smarter or they're getting stupider and/or more arrogantly brazen.

PatronizingGit
4 minutes ago, No Duff said:

Er, shouldn't that be corporation taxes increasing?  After all, they're the only ones benefiting from all these extra people who are needing health care and what not.  They get low wages, not having to train people, and increased demand and we get income tax rises.

My view completely. When I walk past these shiny new tech buildings like Microsoft in Cambridge, I see a huge amount of Indian and Chinese faces. I wonder, how much of that is due to the fact that once here, they get access to the NHS. Put them in California, and they come with huge medical costs. 

Force employers who want to bring in foreign workers to pay for 1) Private healthcare for them and their dependants 2) Housing for them and their dependants and 3)Private schooling for any minors they are bringing, and see how keen they are on them then. And adding minimum salary requirements that are nearer 100k than 20k would also be a good idea. 

Guy I used to work for bought in some Sri Lankans. Hard working guys no doubt (though not particularly efficient or error free in my experience). But all on salaries of below £25k. Typically nearer £20k. All had about 2,3,4 kids within 5 years of arriving in the UK. Typical cost for educating a child in state school who comes from an immigrant background family exceeds £7k a year. So thats £20k to educate dependants alone. He's certainly not going to be paying £20k in school taxes on a £21k salary.  But because he is in work, and of working age, the globalista's have decided he is a massive asset to the economy. 

Well, maybe to the 1%. To the rest of us, he's just extra competition for the few crumbs that are thrown our way. 

No Duff (troll)
52 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Well, maybe to the 1%. To the rest of us, he's just extra competition for the few crumbs that are thrown our way. 

Tempting to ask why so few people see this given it's so obvious.  But maybe they mostly do but the press don't talk about it.  So one asks why and speculates maybe they're paid off.  So one then asks what's the payment and, for some, one speculates (but also recalls a past MSM comment) of some unholy alliance in which they are allowed to promote their desired version of social engineering.  Pure speculation as to why, but can't ignore the blackout, which is peversely making things worse.  The planned end game is currently beyond me.  Of course they could just be a bunch of blinded media luvvies.

Frank Hovis

Income tax is going up people:

Asked if her plans meant income tax rises, she told LBC 'It is right, I think, that we say to people that because the NHS is so important to us that we do look at asking for the country to contribute more, but in a fair and balanced way. 

'So yes, we take the advantage that we've got of the money we're no longer sending to the European Union.

'But also in putting the amount of money we want to put into the NHS for the future, I think we do have to look at contributing more.' 

So those of you who are not avoiding income tax should start to do so.

I do wonder though if it will fall upon NI; and if that shoots up there is only going to be one way to avoid that.

1 hour ago, Game_of_Homes said:

They have already ducked about with dividends haven't they?

Game_of_Homes
2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They have already ducked about with dividends haven't they?

They have. But some thinktank has said dividend rates should be aligned with income tax rates (which would negate the need for IR35 I guess which brings in very little on the private sector side). Dividend tax is now;

First £2k tax free then;

Basic rate 7.5%
Higher rate 32.5%
Additional rate 38.1%

PatronizingGit
49 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Income tax is going up people:

So those of you who are not avoiding income tax should start to do so.

I do wonder though if it will fall upon NI; and if that shoots up there is only going to be one way to avoid that.

My folks, (now committed Thatcherites, wont hear a bad word against May, who seems to have somehow convinced people of a certain age she is Thatcher re-incarnated) are unable to be convinced that overall payroll taxes (NIC for employers + employees + PAYE) are just as 'high' today as in the 70s, when they insist on telling me how good I have it, and how 'basic income tax was over 30% in the 70s, you know! You don't know how good you youngsters have it!)

Yet, the figures are what they are...

Employee NI rate: 5.5%

Employer NI rate: 8.25%

Basic PAYE rate: 33%

Total tax take: 46.75%

Employee NI rate: 12%

Employer NI rate: 13.8%

Basic PAYE rate: 20%

Total tax take: 45.8%

I don't know if people dont bother looking at national insurance take, but the idea that since 1979, tax has shifted from direct to indirect isnt really borne out. Indirect has gone up. Direct hasnt gone down. 

Quell surprise ... population becoming steadily fatter and sicker, population living longer (and much more expensive)

and the big one ...

a population increasing dramatically in size year-on-year

Frank Hovis
19 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

My folks, (now committed Thatcherites, wont hear a bad word against May, who seems to have somehow convinced people of a certain age she is Thatcher re-incarnated) are unable to be convinced that overall payroll taxes (NIC for employers + employees + PAYE) are just as 'high' today as in the 70s, when they insist on telling me how good I have it, and how 'basic income tax was over 30% in the 70s, you know! You don't know how good you youngsters have it!)

I don't know if people dont bother looking at national insurance take, but the idea that since 1979, tax has shifted from direct to indirect isnt really borne out. Indirect has gone up. Direct hasnt gone down. 

Well I for one thought of the 70s as the era of high personal taxation so that's an eye opener.

For all that I crow about not paying income tax I'm being robbed on NI.  I'm in my last qualifying year for state pension* so after this year it's just another tax to benefit others.

* Arguable; I'm about to start a thread on this.

4 hours ago, Game_of_Homes said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5853057/Theresa-hints-taxes-bankroll-NHS.html

Apparently it's income tax that will go up no chance of them cutting the foreign aid budget to save £13 billion.

Couldnt expect a May/Hammond led Conservative govt to come up with such an idea.

Just so long as they  tax income and labour and not assets/wealth or spend less in other areas then  they continue on the path to losing the next election.

Besides any more going into the NHS will be siphoned off by their sponsors.

Wight Flight
39 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Correct. But you just have to look at who doesn't pay national insurance to see the reason behind this move.

Combine the two and you could reduce the rate significantly.

31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

For all that I crow about not paying income tax I'm being robbed on NI.  I'm in my last qualifying year for state pension* so after this year it's just another tax to benefit others.

Now that's an interesting point I hadn't thought about.

Just googled it - apparently 35 years of NI for full state pension. So one's 35th year of working would be a good time to 'bow out' if you had invested enough over that time to do so, so as not to be spending any significant amount of your time toiling away purely for the benefit of others.

Frank Hovis
12 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Just googled it - apparently 35 years of NI for full state pension. So one's 35th year of working would be a good time to 'bow out' if you had invested enough over that time to do so, so as not to be spending any significant amount of your time toiling away purely for the benefit of others.

Starts at 16 and you get the first three years free for being in full time education, I've only actually worked about 26 years but have an apparently full 34 year record (bar the last two college years).  You can look up your record on the government gateway site.

One percent
15 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Not if you have contracted out, which you would if paying into a pension.  Yet another way to shaft the worked

See Franks thread for my working out...

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Starts at 16 and you get the first three years free for being in full time education, I've only actually worked about 26 years but have an apparently full 34 year record (bar the last two college years).  You can look up your record on the government gateway site.

Oh right, didn't know that - I assumed it only started when I started working full time....let's see if I can find out how many years I have....

....and according to the website; I have 17 years of contributions so far. Not bad for a 34 year old!

Archived