DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Income tax to go up to pay for the NHS

Game_of_Homes

Lightscribe

I've finally had enough, I'm ploughing everything over the tax allowance into my work pension and claim universal credit (no working hour threshold on UC), won't be any worse off and will be able to retire 10-15 years earlier in this rigged game.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One percent
5 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

I've finally had enough, I'm ploughing everything over the tax allowance into my work pension and claim universal credit (no working hour threshold on UC), won't be any worse off and will be able to retire 10-15 years earlier in this rigged game.

Well a reasonable plan until they move the goalposts again. 

48 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

What can you expect to get from UC and do they not take into consideration your salary before deductions?

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Now that's an interesting point I hadn't thought about.

Just googled it - apparently 35 years of NI for full state pension. So one's 35th year of working would be a good time to 'bow out' if you had invested enough over that time to do so, so as not to be spending any significant amount of your time toiling away purely for the benefit of others.

Hope you’ve looked at FH’s thread.

Personally I have 44 years of full nI contributions. Not enough though. According to gov site I need two more years contributions before April 2023 to draw a full state pension.

Never mind the additional state pension I’d built up. Gone. Poof! Rules changed! Robbed of that!

To add to my fuming anger my occupational pension has an abatement clause. That means when I draw my state pension they are entitled to reduce my occupational pension!

You have to be very viligant and research. 

IMO, the aim is a return to Victorian times. No money peasants......oh dear tough! You’re useless eaters and have no value if you don’t pay tax and ni so hopefully you’ll just die!

2 hours ago, Sideysid said:

Yes but no but...a couple of years ago they lowered the Lifetime and Annual allowances...now the former is 1 mil and the latter is £40k per annum.

19 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Hope you’ve looked at FH’s thread.

Personally I have 44 years of full nI contributions. Not enough though. According to gov site I need two more years contributions before April 2023 to draw a full state pension.

Never mind the additional state pension I’d built up. Gone. Poof! Rules changed! Robbed of that!

To add to my fuming anger my occupational pension has an abatement clause. That means when I draw my state pension they are entitled to reduce my occupational pension!

You have to be very viligant and research. 

IMO, the aim is a return to Victorian times. No money peasants......oh dear tough! You’re useless eaters and have no value if you don’t pay tax and ni so hopefully you’ll just die!

But under the new rules you will get a pro rata rate based on the number of years contributions you have made...something like £205 per each year of contribution.unless they have changed the rules again recently and I have missed it?!

Game_of_Homes
3 hours ago, Sideysid said:

You can't claim UC if you have savings over £6k if I understand correctly.

Frank Hovis
35 minutes ago, Game_of_Homes said:

You can't claim UC if you have savings over £6k if I understand correctly.

I don't think that pension counts as savings.

No Duff (troll)
1 hour ago, MrXxx said:

Yes but no but...a couple of years ago they lowered the Lifetime and Annual allowances...now the former is 1 mil and the latter is £40k per annum.

Can go back three years or so with the lifetime allowance if that helps.  

5 hours ago, No Duff said:

Are they still talking about ringfencing any higher taxes purported for the NHS?

They may well do this to soften the blow of an increase in taxes and  this always works out well to the taxpayer, as I am sure you know Income Tax was instigated to pay for the new ships to fight the pesky European (no not those aircraft-less aircraft carriers) the wooden ones in the 1800s, oh and it was temporary as well. Something similar with the Road Tax IIRC.

And of course the government love INCOME tax as the wealthy 1% have wealth not income and corporations do not have income either they have profit which can be offset against fees to use logos and other external (Caymen island) costs. Working people find it quite difficult to avoid income tax as generally their money comes from working and is therefore income.

Game_of_Homes
16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think that pension counts as savings.

I meant if he has any savings towards buying a house, he can't claim UC.

No Duff (troll)
5 minutes ago, satch said:

They may well do this to soften the blow of an increase in taxes and  this always works out well to the taxpayer, as I am sure you know Income Tax was instigated to pay for the new ships to fight the pesky European (no not those aircraft-less aircraft carriers) the wooden ones in the 1800s, oh and it was temporary as well. Something similar with the Road Tax IIRC.

And of course the government love INCOME tax as the wealthy 1% have wealth not income and corporations do not have income either they have profit which can be offset against fees to use logos and other external (Caymen island) costs. Working people find it quite difficult to avoid income tax as generally their money comes from working and is therefore income.

Indeed.  A fellow scholar.  Surely can't be long to all those boats are finished!  I know about MOD over-runs but this is crazy!

11 hours ago, Game_of_Homes said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5853057/Theresa-hints-taxes-bankroll-NHS.html

Apparently it's income tax that will go up no chance of them cutting the foreign aid budget to save £13 billion.

Interesting intervew

Gordon Brown had an involuntarily twitch, a jowl movement as if he had something stuck under one side of his tongue, and so does Treason May, but hers is a pull back of the mouth and tensioning of the neck. It reveals a lack of confidence and fear, a clear personal knowledge that she is out of her depth, or in otherwords a fraud, IMO

Why provide healthcare in a high cost country? I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper to fly Brits to places like Spain for routine operations.

It honestly makes me sick how we hear the NHS described as the "envy of the world" and it's never discussed if we could do it better.

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Why provide healthcare in a high cost country? I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper to fly Brits to places like Spain for routine operations.

It honestly makes me sick how we hear the NHS described as the "envy of the world" and it's never discussed if we could do it better.

It certainly isn't the envy of the world to those who have a good quality private care in places like the USA.

One percent
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

UK's at 30; Ireland's at 13....time for me to make use of my dual citizenship methinks!

Stay in Ireland joe. 

2 hours ago, MrXxx said:

But under the new rules you will get a pro rata rate based on the number of years contributions you have made...something like £205 per each year of contribution.unless they have changed the rules again recently and I have missed it?!

All one can do is put your details into the gov website and be told what you are entitled to.

I done that earlier this evening and posted my result on Frank Hovis’ thread about pensions.

Pension rules have changed many times in my lifetime. 

It does say on the gov website that pension benefits can change! 

8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It certainly isn't the envy of the world to those who have a good quality private care in places like the USA.

Tbh, state monopolies are generally fairly rubbish at providing services etc. We trust public companies to provide food/ houses etc, yet somehow healthcare has to be provided by an overstaffed NHS....

IMHO, competition in healthcare would be a good thing. You can go to the shops 24/7 and get good quality food at a reasonable price. Yet you can't get a GP appointment at the weekend and you can't get an appointment without phoning up the week before.

The market economy is very good at removing overstaffed organisations that don't provide what consumers want....

One percent
3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, state monopolies are generally fairly rubbish at providing services etc. We trust public companies to provide food/ houses etc, yet somehow healthcare has to be provided by an overstaffed NHS....

IMHO, competition in healthcare would be a good thing. You can go to the shops 24/7 and get good quality food at a reasonable price. Yet you can't get a GP appointment at the weekend and you can't get an appointment without phoning up the week before.

The market economy is very good at removing overstaffed organisations that don't provide what consumers want....

I’m surprised that you wheel out the free market argument. No, what is needed is to get rid of the clipboard holders (sp RNLI) and put the experts back in charge. 

Chewing Grass
26 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

It certainly is if you can rock up on a flight from for example Nigeria, get treatment, fuck off back and pay not much more than the cost of the flight.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I have a one month wait to see my GP now. This renders the service effectively useless.

Last time I went was just before Christmas, about a problem that I'm still concerned about, but their response was to take some blood and then never get back to me. No follow ups, no further investigation as to why the symptom is happening, just "well his blood work is fine so fuck him".

3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I think doctors and hospitals should be a 24/7 provision.

Why shouldn’t GP’s, surgeons, radiologists etc work shifts. 

I wouldn't mind a gp appointment at 2am or a scheduled operation at the hospital if required.

Of course GP’s, surgeons etc think they’re above working to provide a 24/7 service.

Chewing Grass
6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Competition in Healthcare would last about 5 or 6 years, a series of lucrative mergers and takeovers later it would be no different and you would have to talk to an Indian call centre first.

Private monopoly providers are the worst at anything as they spend a huge amount of effort bribing politicians to ensure it stays that way.

The U.S. is a good example of the above.

Archived