• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

State Pension - incomplete years

I'm in my final qualifying year of the 35 but have two incomplete years (second and third college years) and would have been opted out from SERPS for most if not all of it.

The HMRC website is ambiguous and I know two people of similar age who have been phoning up to enquire.

I have heard people say once your thirty five years are done that's it and you can't change it but that's not what the people phoning up have been told which is that you can replace those partial years.

Two methods:

If still working they will be replaced with the new years.

If not working (and presumably pre state retirement age) phone up at the end of each year and you can buy full years for c. £700 which replace partial years.

This latter was what I did with two years of a mature post-grad degree where they write to me asking if I wanted to buy the two years for about £300 each IIRC; which I did and it shows on my record.

Can anyone confirm or has been told differently?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm in my final qualifying year of the 35 but have two incomplete years (second and third college years) and would have been opted out from SERPS for most if not all of it.

The HMRC website is ambiguous and I know two people of similar age who have been phoning up to enquire.

I have heard people say once your thirty five years are done that's it and you can't change it but that's not what the people phoning up have been told which is that you can replace those partial years.

Two methods:

If not working (and presumably pre state retirement age) phone up at the end of each year and you can buy full years for c. £700 which replace partial years.

This latter was what I did with two years of a mature post-grad degree where they write to me asking if I wanted to buy the two years for about £300 each IIRC; which I did and it shows on my record.

I've done 35 years but because of contracted out I am three years short..so £152.40 pw as opposed to £164.35 pw in my pension forecast.

Yes I can buy these three years back in future with class 3 to get the full state pension.

Buying back years only started to count from 2017 or 2016? and the introduction of universal pension if you already had 35 years in place as I had. I get SP in 2031 so plenty of time to buy them back.

Edited by crashmonitor

I checked it a couple of years ago and like you Frank, I have mainly been opted out.

Just been back to check in - I have 39 years but if I want the full whack, I need to pay for another six years.  Bastards....

Yet some who have never paid in get given loads.  Bastards :PissedOff:

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I checked it a couple of years ago and like you Frank, I have mainly been opted out.

Just been back to check in - I have 39 years but if I want the full whack, I need to pay for another six years.  Bastards....

Look on the bright side, they've delayed your retirement date to give you extra time to make up the contributions.

xD

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Is it telling you that online now?

If so I will log in and have a look. Previously they were just showing them as "full" whether I was opted out or not.

I should check - although as I have said many times, I expect by the time I retire that nobody living outside the UK will get a UK state pension, and those living inside the Uk will only get a pension if they are in a very select category (i.e. not the law abiding majority).

10 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Look on the bright side, they've delayed your retirement date to give you extra time to make up the contributions.

xD

xD

feck off. Don’t bloody rub it in. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Is it telling you that online now?

If so I will log in and have a look. Previously they were just showing them as "full" whether I was opted out or not.

Yes and no.  It doesn’t differentiate. But on the summary page, it says what I would get if I stopped paying, based on current subscriptions. Then underneath, it says how many years I need to do to get the full pension.  Then clicking onto the yearly contributions it tells me where I have incomplete years.  Back in the 80s so not sure why that would be.... it doesn’t say which are SERP and which not 

edit to add, I may be reading it wrong as it isn’t clear but it does say I have 39 years in

Edited by One percent

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Yes and no.  It doesn’t differentiate. But on the summary page, it says what I would get if I stopped paying, based on current subscriptions. Then underneath, it says how many years I need to do to get the full pension.  Then clicking onto the yearly contributions it tells me where I have incomplete years.  Back in the 80s so not sure why that would be.... it doesn’t say which are SERP and which not 

edit to add, I may be reading it wrong as it isn’t clear but it does say I have 39 years in

Thanks.  Currently I intend to work three years beyond the thirty five so fingers crossed that's sufficient if I can work it out.

<braces for bad news>

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Thanks.  Currently I intend to work three years beyond the thirty five so fingers crossed that's sufficient if I can work it out.

<braces for bad news>

I’ve paid stamp from 13 (think I was ripped off by my first employer as nothing is showing 9_9

i may need to come back for advice as I’m not planning on another sis years. No way.....

51 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Two methods:

There is no limit to 35 years to pay. I am  in  a similar situation and have been told on the phone (and I believe the website is clear on this too) that you basically carry on paying to make up the lost years due to being contracted out and gain a full state pension. I too have enough years left to do this and so does my wife.

Incidentally my accountant has confirmed this to me soon on a regular basis, the last time being only last week as we discussed our accounts and personal year returns.

1 minute ago, man o' the year said:

There is no limit to 35 years to pay. I am  in  a similar situation and have been told on the phone (and I believe the website is clear on this too) that you basically carry on paying to make up the lost years due to being contracted out and gain a full state pension. I too have enough years left to do this and so does my wife.

Incidentally my accountant has confirmed this to me soon on a regular basis, the last time being only last week as we discussed our accounts and personal year returns.

Cheers, yes they've improved it so it is telling me that now I have 33 full years and need to work two more to get the maximum of £164.35; being current year 2018/19 and 2019/20.

Odd that it doesn't seem to be affected by being contracted out.  I'm glad that I always used to sign on between jobs as there are several years only showing as full owing to quite a few weeks of NI credits.

Relax time :)  (sorry @One percent

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Can you still do the old signing on as unemployed trick to get your stamp credited?

I last did this 2012/13 so presumably you still can. 

Posted (edited)

Just to confirm if you log on the the website (which I find is sometimes easier said than done) then it says at the bottom that you projection will be £155-65 a week if you make another x years contributions before April before your retirement date.

I see your reply now and your figures likely more up to date than mine. 

To summarize relax and pay the missing years.

Edited by man o' the year
added info

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am just going to say I am Windrush generation. They don't seem to hold any NI records on them so will claim full pension.

Did you black up or stab someone?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Two methods:

That`s my understanding ,you pay at the rate applicable at the day you deiced to pay 

£700 = one years minimum but from what i understand if you pay say £2000 in a yaer that will not compensate for years missed until you have gone over the 35 years 

Edited by Long time lurking

@Frank Hovis

I found the thing baffling to be honest.

Mine says, 27 full years,  7 more years to contribute, 16 missing years.

Now, the 16 missing years were spent living and working in Ireland, but they're obviously not aware of that (yet). So, I'm pretty sure there is some kind of agreement where they can accept some of those to get to the 35. BUT..... the forecast thing says £164 as at 2016. I have no idea why they use 2016. I can improve it to £170, by buying one year for £689.

It doesn't seem to give you a figure of what you would get, if you stopped paying NI as from now. When I questioned this on MSE, as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there regarding pensions, they said that the £164  was what I would get if I stopped paying now. I don't think that can be right! 

I have full records of all my PRSI payments, (like NI in Ireland). Now it gets even more confusing. In theory, that entitles me to a partial pension form Ireland. You need 520 contributions to get on the lowest of the pro rata pensions, so ten years worth if you like . I have something like 887 I think.  You also need to meet a minimum figure as a yearly average over your working life, and I do this easily.

What I can't seem to find out, is will they actually pay this. I was over there last week, and even had a meeting at the Govt welfare place, and didn't get a definite answer. I was told that could change the rules at any time etc etc, brexit might complicate it etc etc.

I can't remember the figure exactly, but for me at least, it was well worth having. It was over a £100 a week. 

If anyone on here has any experience of getting a two state pensions from two countries, I'd love to hear it!

Just now, The XYY Man said:

Went on the gov.uk website last year, and found it surprisingly useful and informative.

Having left school in 1981 at 16, I was expecting I would have maximum contributions.

But I forgot about that "contracting-out" bollocks that was very trendy in the late 80s/early 90s.

Seems I've another three years to go until I have the "Full Monty".

Since I can't retire until I am 67 that shouldn't be a problem.

By which time I will have worked longer than my Grandad - who went down the pit at 14.

We should be rioting in the fucking streets...

:(

XYY

Your grandad probably would have been over what the government have done. We have gone soft