• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

State Pension - incomplete years

Recommended Posts

I'm in my final qualifying year of the 35 but have two incomplete years (second and third college years) and would have been opted out from SERPS for most if not all of it.

The HMRC website is ambiguous and I know two people of similar age who have been phoning up to enquire.

I have heard people say once your thirty five years are done that's it and you can't change it but that's not what the people phoning up have been told which is that you can replace those partial years.

Two methods:

If still working they will be replaced with the new years.

If not working (and presumably pre state retirement age) phone up at the end of each year and you can buy full years for c. £700 which replace partial years.

 

This latter was what I did with two years of a mature post-grad degree where they write to me asking if I wanted to buy the two years for about £300 each IIRC; which I did and it shows on my record.

 

Can anyone confirm or has been told differently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm in my final qualifying year of the 35 but have two incomplete years (second and third college years) and would have been opted out from SERPS for most if not all of it.

The HMRC website is ambiguous and I know two people of similar age who have been phoning up to enquire.

I have heard people say once your thirty five years are done that's it and you can't change it but that's not what the people phoning up have been told which is that you can replace those partial years.

Two methods:

If still working they will be replaced with the new years.

If not working (and presumably pre state retirement age) phone up at the end of each year and you can buy full years for c. £700 which replace partial years.

 

This latter was what I did with two years of a mature post-grad degree where they write to me asking if I wanted to buy the two years for about £300 each IIRC; which I did and it shows on my record.

 

Can anyone confirm or has been told differently?

I've done 35 years but because of contracted out I am three years short..so £152.40 pw as opposed to £164.35 pw in my pension forecast.

Yes I can buy these three years back in future with class 3 to get the full state pension.

Buying back years only started to count from 2017 or 2016? and the introduction of universal pension if you already had 35 years in place as I had. I get SP in 2031 so plenty of time to buy them back.

Edited by crashmonitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked it a couple of years ago and like you Frank, I have mainly been opted out.

Just been back to check in - I have 39 years but if I want the full whack, I need to pay for another six years.  Bastards....

Yet some who have never paid in get given loads.  Bastards :PissedOff:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I checked it a couple of years ago and like you Frank, I have mainly been opted out.

Just been back to check in - I have 39 years but if I want the full whack, I need to pay for another six years.  Bastards....

Yet some who have never paid in get given loads.  Bastards :PissedOff:

Look on the bright side, they've delayed your retirement date to give you extra time to make up the contributions.

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I checked it a couple of years ago and like you Frank, I have mainly been opted out.

Just been back to check in - I have 39 years but if I want the full whack, I need to pay for another six years.  Bastards....

Yet some who have never paid in get given loads.  Bastards :PissedOff:

Is it telling you that online now?

If so I will log in and have a look. Previously they were just showing them as "full" whether I was opted out or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should check - although as I have said many times, I expect by the time I retire that nobody living outside the UK will get a UK state pension, and those living inside the Uk will only get a pension if they are in a very select category (i.e. not the law abiding majority).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Look on the bright side, they've delayed your retirement date to give you extra time to make up the contributions.

xD

xD

feck off. Don’t bloody rub it in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Is it telling you that online now?

If so I will log in and have a look. Previously they were just showing them as "full" whether I was opted out or not.

Yes and no.  It doesn’t differentiate. But on the summary page, it says what I would get if I stopped paying, based on current subscriptions. Then underneath, it says how many years I need to do to get the full pension.  Then clicking onto the yearly contributions it tells me where I have incomplete years.  Back in the 80s so not sure why that would be.... it doesn’t say which are SERP and which not 

edit to add, I may be reading it wrong as it isn’t clear but it does say I have 39 years in

Edited by One percent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Yes and no.  It doesn’t differentiate. But on the summary page, it says what I would get if I stopped paying, based on current subscriptions. Then underneath, it says how many years I need to do to get the full pension.  Then clicking onto the yearly contributions it tells me where I have incomplete years.  Back in the 80s so not sure why that would be.... it doesn’t say which are SERP and which not 

edit to add, I may be reading it wrong as it isn’t clear but it does say I have 39 years in

Thanks.  Currently I intend to work three years beyond the thirty five so fingers crossed that's sufficient if I can work it out.

<braces for bad news>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Thanks.  Currently I intend to work three years beyond the thirty five so fingers crossed that's sufficient if I can work it out.

<braces for bad news>

I’ve paid stamp from 13 (think I was ripped off by my first employer as nothing is showing 9_9

i may need to come back for advice as I’m not planning on another sis years. No way.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm in my final qualifying year of the 35 but have two incomplete years (second and third college years) and would have been opted out from SERPS for most if not all of it.

The HMRC website is ambiguous and I know two people of similar age who have been phoning up to enquire.

I have heard people say once your thirty five years are done that's it and you can't change it but that's not what the people phoning up have been told which is that you can replace those partial years.

Two methods:

If still working they will be replaced with the new years.

If not working (and presumably pre state retirement age) phone up at the end of each year and you can buy full years for c. £700 which replace partial years.

 

This latter was what I did with two years of a mature post-grad degree where they write to me asking if I wanted to buy the two years for about £300 each IIRC; which I did and it shows on my record.

 

Can anyone confirm or has been told differently?

There is no limit to 35 years to pay. I am  in  a similar situation and have been told on the phone (and I believe the website is clear on this too) that you basically carry on paying to make up the lost years due to being contracted out and gain a full state pension. I too have enough years left to do this and so does my wife.

Incidentally my accountant has confirmed this to me soon on a regular basis, the last time being only last week as we discussed our accounts and personal year returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, man o' the year said:

There is no limit to 35 years to pay. I am  in  a similar situation and have been told on the phone (and I believe the website is clear on this too) that you basically carry on paying to make up the lost years due to being contracted out and gain a full state pension. I too have enough years left to do this and so does my wife.

Incidentally my accountant has confirmed this to me soon on a regular basis, the last time being only last week as we discussed our accounts and personal year returns.

Cheers, yes they've improved it so it is telling me that now I have 33 full years and need to work two more to get the maximum of £164.35; being current year 2018/19 and 2019/20.

Odd that it doesn't seem to be affected by being contracted out.  I'm glad that I always used to sign on between jobs as there are several years only showing as full owing to quite a few weeks of NI credits.

Relax time :)  (sorry @One percent

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Can you still do the old signing on as unemployed trick to get your stamp credited?

I last did this 2012/13 so presumably you still can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to confirm if you log on the the website (which I find is sometimes easier said than done) then it says at the bottom that you projection will be £155-65 a week if you make another x years contributions before April before your retirement date.

I see your reply now and your figures likely more up to date than mine. 

To summarize relax and pay the missing years.

Edited by man o' the year
added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am just going to say I am Windrush generation. They don't seem to hold any NI records on them so will claim full pension.

Did you black up or stab someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm in my final qualifying year of the 35 but have two incomplete years (second and third college years) and would have been opted out from SERPS for most if not all of it.

The HMRC website is ambiguous and I know two people of similar age who have been phoning up to enquire.

I have heard people say once your thirty five years are done that's it and you can't change it but that's not what the people phoning up have been told which is that you can replace those partial years.

Two methods:

If still working they will be replaced with the new years.

If not working (and presumably pre state retirement age) phone up at the end of each year and you can buy full years for c. £700 which replace partial years.

 

This latter was what I did with two years of a mature post-grad degree where they write to me asking if I wanted to buy the two years for about £300 each IIRC; which I did and it shows on my record.

 

Can anyone confirm or has been told differently?

That`s my understanding ,you pay at the rate applicable at the day you deiced to pay 

£700 = one years minimum but from what i understand if you pay say £2000 in a yaer that will not compensate for years missed until you have gone over the 35 years 

Edited by Long time lurking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Frank Hovis

I found the thing baffling to be honest.

Mine says, 27 full years,  7 more years to contribute, 16 missing years.

Now, the 16 missing years were spent living and working in Ireland, but they're obviously not aware of that (yet). So, I'm pretty sure there is some kind of agreement where they can accept some of those to get to the 35. BUT..... the forecast thing says £164 as at 2016. I have no idea why they use 2016. I can improve it to £170, by buying one year for £689.

It doesn't seem to give you a figure of what you would get, if you stopped paying NI as from now. When I questioned this on MSE, as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there regarding pensions, they said that the £164  was what I would get if I stopped paying now. I don't think that can be right! 

I have full records of all my PRSI payments, (like NI in Ireland). Now it gets even more confusing. In theory, that entitles me to a partial pension form Ireland. You need 520 contributions to get on the lowest of the pro rata pensions, so ten years worth if you like . I have something like 887 I think.  You also need to meet a minimum figure as a yearly average over your working life, and I do this easily.

What I can't seem to find out, is will they actually pay this. I was over there last week, and even had a meeting at the Govt welfare place, and didn't get a definite answer. I was told that could change the rules at any time etc etc, brexit might complicate it etc etc.

I can't remember the figure exactly, but for me at least, it was well worth having. It was over a £100 a week. 

If anyone on here has any experience of getting a two state pensions from two countries, I'd love to hear it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The XYY Man said:

Went on the gov.uk website last year, and found it surprisingly useful and informative.

Having left school in 1981 at 16, I was expecting I would have maximum contributions.

But I forgot about that "contracting-out" bollocks that was very trendy in the late 80s/early 90s.

Seems I've another three years to go until I have the "Full Monty".

Since I can't retire until I am 67 that shouldn't be a problem.

By which time I will have worked longer than my Grandad - who went down the pit at 14.

We should be rioting in the fucking streets...

:(

 

XYY

Your grandad probably would have been over what the government have done. We have gone soft 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Frank Hovis
      There are a few of us on the board, including myself, who are looking to retire in the next 5 - 10 years.
      If you don't have a degree (or do have one but are prepared to lie about it) have you considered doing a degree in a subject in which you have a genuine interest in order to effectively retire three years' early funded by the state and so claw back those state pension years which they have stolen from you by claiming full maintenance loan in the happy knowledge that you will never work again so won't have to pay any of the £30k back?
      Admissions for mature students is generally no questions asked and you can also immerse yourself in Literature or whatever takes your fancy for three years.
      Plus, and here's the best bit, as you have no inention of ever working again so the qualification in itself has absolutely zero benefit you only need to do the bare minimum so as not to get thrown off the course and don't even need to turn up for your finals.
      If not why not?
       
      Am I right in thinking that you don't have a degree @Van Lady yet have a wide interest in the world around you?  Fancy doing a Botany degree?
    • By Chewing Grass
      I run a micro business and have just got a nasty letter from the Pensions Regulator.
      Apparently I have not done the Declaration of Compliance for my business and its is big stick followed by finey finey time.
      Now ignoring the fact that I have not had a previous letter or being small i.e. 1 and 1/2 an employee and the me mentally thinking I didn't need to do anything off my own bat mistake.
      The following struck me after jumping through the electronic hoop.
      1) the only info they got was how many employees I had and how many were in a pension scheme, no names no scheme names.
      Thing is they already know this (or the glubberment does) from my PAYE/NI.
      The whole thing is pointless bollocks and is like they are fishing for mismatches of information.
      Same with fucking Tax returns, they already know 90% of the information you tell them.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.