• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

If you don't vote you have no right to complain

This gets trotted out at every election and the logic of it escapes me.

Prior to having a postal vote, and sometimes since, if the ticket was ConLibLab then I often wouldn't bother as they were all so similar, and most importantly pro EU, so didn't want to lend my support to any of them.

So because I supported none of them then I apparently have no right to complain about the government.  That makes no sense to me at all.

I think this is more aimed at people who make no effort to understand different parties plus and minus points and then just moan about the government without really having an understanding of what is going on.

Not people who understand the credit cycle and just draw a giant cock on the ballot paper in protest

I prefer to spoil my ballot than not vote on the basis that at least I've registered my opinion.

That said, I respect everybody's right to vote, note vote, or spoil their ballots and still complain. Not putting a cross on a piece of paper doesn't mean you have no right to express an opinion for the next 5 years - anyone who thinks it does is nothing but a mouthpiece for the status quo.

As with most things, George Carlin says it better than I could ever hope to

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Prior to having a postal vote, and sometimes since, if the ticket was ConLibLab then I often wouldn't bother as they were all so similar, and most importantly pro EU, so didn't want to lend my support to any of them.

So because I supported none of them then I apparently have no right to complain about the government.  That makes no sense to me at all.

When in reality....You didn't vote em in, so you get to complain

As I said before, my local incumbent is the Minister for Brexit so I feel obliged to vote for him. Party politics doesn't come in to it (which is good because I don't have to put any effort into reading manifestos). 

The Tories get a free pass from me this election (will probably be my first and last time voting Tory). I feel for those of you who have to put more effort into the decision. 

N.B I guess I could stay home. He will walk it here either way. 

Not voting is seen as laziness, spoiling your paper at least shows you care. Just write "none of the above" on the paper, or draw a nob on it (Blair, Brown, Corbyn, Boris, any nob will do). People seem amazed when I say I wrote "none of the above" on a ballot paper, as if they'd never thought that was possible.

I was thinking of dressing up in a habit and running as "Nun of the Above" as an election candidate - would get the Catholic transvestite vote!

Edited by The Idiocrat

11 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think I have said it before but I will let my 17 year old son have my vote. It is his future.

Indeed.

Theres a strong case for pensioners, public sector workers and people on benefits not being able to vote.

52 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

As I said before, my local incumbent is the Minister for Brexit so I feel obliged to vote for him. Party politics doesn't come in to it (which is good because I don't have to put any effort into reading manifestos). 

The Tories get a free pass from me this election (will probably be my first and last time voting Tory). I feel for those of you who have to put more effort into the decision. 

N.B I guess I could stay home. He will walk it here either way. 

Do you really believe that they will stand by their lies promises once they five years of unfettered power?  Waste of bloody paper imho  

16 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Indeed.

Theres a strong case for pensioners, public sector workers and people on benefits not being able to vote.

Hey, just because I can't spell doesn't mean you can disenfranchise me 

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Do you really believe that they will stand by their lies promises once they five years of unfettered power?  Waste of bloody paper imho 

No, but then I see this as Indyref2 anyway.  Nothing else matters at this point.

Here in Canada, I pay a shit load of tax, but can I vote? No I fucking cant. 

Why? Because I'm not a Canadian citizen.

Whats the rules in the U.K.? Are you given voting rights if you demonstrate the ability to hang on the underside of a truck and collect benefits?

1 hour ago, Captain Cavey said:

Here in Canada, I pay a shit load of tax, but can I vote? No I fucking cant. 

Why? Because I'm not a Canadian citizen.

Whats the rules in the U.K.? Are you given voting rights if you demonstrate the ability to hang on the underside of a truck and collect benefits?

Non British citizens (e.g my wife) are not allowed to vote in general election. She is allowed to vote in local elections. She can vote in her national election. Can't remember which country she votes in for European elections. 

4 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Non British citizens (e.g my wife) are not allowed to vote in general election. She is allowed to vote in local elections. She can vote in her national election. Can't remember which country she votes in for European elections. 

Do you know where she comes from or is she just some "random foreigner"? But then our origins are less important than our destination.B|

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Do you know where she comes from or is she just some "random foreigner"? But then our origins are less important than our destination.B|

Could be whst was czechoslovakia. Or yugoslavia.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Do you know where she comes from or is she just some "random foreigner"? But then our origins are less important than our destination.

She was born in the Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia (I'd like to add now Czech Republic but TPTB have decided to rebrand as the horrific Czechia - not to be confused with Chechnya). 

Speaking of destinations, I am very seriously considering emigrating to Prague.

My family spent the last 3 centuries roaming around Rother.  

16 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I can't even vote in the provincial elections (which have just occurred and have resulted in the Green Party being the king makers in a hung legislature. The fucking Green Party FFS. Compulsory soya lattes and sandles looms. Focus will be on everything turning into rainbow coloured bike lanes whilst industry dies on its arse)

Will now go for Canadian citizenship so that I can spoil my ballot paper and give them a bloody nose

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Similar to you.

Spoiled my paper for years until the Scottish referendum and have cast a vote since.

Not sure whether I'll vote or spoil in next election.

If I decide to spoil my ballot paper by writing none of them on it then my belief is that I have every right to complain about government ....... because I thought that none of them were worth a vote!