• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

GDPR blocked sites.

The unintended consequences of GDPR are getting silly.

So far I have tried to access 

Www.Jcpenny.com

Www.ncaa.com

And a local Iowa newspaper. 

They have all blocked me as I am in Europe.

Anyone else found any other censorship?

It’s not GDPR, the establishment does not want you accessing news from abroad. They want you trapped in a little bubble with only the So-Called BBC for news. All part of the re-education programme

Seeing this from the other side of the pond. My firm blocked EU visitors to its website because it wasn’t worth the hassle of making it GDPR compliant for the sake of the 0.0000001% of business we do with EU customers. Doing so was a trivial button press in the UI for our web firewall service vs. months of complete ball ache satisifyng the immense list of requirements for GDPR compliance. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Seeing this from the other side of the pond. My firm blocked EU visitors to its website because it wasn’t worth the hassle of making it GDPR compliant for the sake of the 0.0000001% of business we do with EU customers. Doing so was a trivial button press in the UI for our web firewall service vs. months of complete ball ache satisifyng the immense list of requirements for GDPR compliance. 

That's what I assumed some would do. My worry is contagion. If I want to direct book a family run hotel in Michegan, I should be able to.

But if everyone follows this vanguard it is going to become very bloody awkward.

Edited by Cunning Plan

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's what I assumed some would do. My worry is contagion. If I want to direct book a family run hotel in Michegan, I should be able to.

But if everyone follows this vanguard it is going to become very bloody awkward.

Have you tried touch vpn you can chose the country you are searching from, well where the server is 

Edited by Long time lurking

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

The unintended consequences of GDPR are getting silly.

So far I have tried to access 

Www.Jcpenny.com

Www.ncaa.com

And a local Iowa newspaper. 

They have all blocked me as I am in Europe.

Anyone else found any other censorship?

Loads, too many to list, and not just those from the US.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Tried to access an article from the Chicago Tribune website - computer says no.  Time to sort out a VPN.

The Chicago Tribune...?

Would that be the Chi-fucking-cago from the US of fucking A Tribune you are on about...???

You think you've got problems mate...?

I can't even get The Hartlepool friggin' Mail - and I'm only just up the road in Peterlee...!

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

The Chicago Tribune...?

Would that be the Chi-fucking-cago US of fucking A Tribune you are on about...???

I can't even get The Hartlepool friggin' Mail - and I'm only just up the road in Peterlee...!

;)

XYY

I know, my pain is real! 

15 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

The Chicago Tribune...?

Would that be the Chi-fucking-cago from the US of fucking A Tribune you are on about...???

;)

XYY

They don't want to encourage people to immigrate to Hartlepool from County Durham....

Just tried a few I occasionally visit:-

LA times blocked - http://www.tronc.com/gdpr/latimes.com/

The Age - Australia - OK (Aussies don't give a shit) https://www.theage.com.au/

Seattle Times - OK https://www.seattletimes.com/

Globe & Mail - Toronto - OK https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/

The Times of India OK https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/

Who gives a fuck about the LA Times, I would rather read the publications from places that don't care about GDPR, FFS all they have is cookies if you don't subscribe or comment anyway.

3 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

My guess is that this will be short term. Our legal people actually told us that the EU had no justification over us as we have no EU legal entities but that, since the business was worth literally a few thousand dollars out of billions, we should block it for now and see how things unfold. Likely enough we’ll unblock it in a year or so.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, eek said:

They don't want to encourage people to immigrate to Hartlepool from County Durham....

Ah, now there lies a Michael Caine-esque "not a lot of people know that" style story.

I have moved both town and county in my lifetime - and yet I stayed in the exactly the same house.

I was born in West Hartlepool, County Durham in 1965. I know that for a fact - it says so on my birth certificate.

But then the two separate towns formerly known as "The Hartlepools" - Hartlepool, and West Hartlepool - amalgamated into plain old Hartlepool in 1967.

So I moved to a different town without batting an eyelid.

And then in 1974, I moved from County Durham to County Cleveland.

Or rather Hartlepool did.

Another of my moves that never involved Pickfords.

Like an onion, I have many layers...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Tried JCPenney through my VPN and it was fine.

I'm using Mullvad. No sign-up/email address needed, no logs kept, can pay with Bitcoin. You can even post euros with a piece of paper with your account number on if you're ultra-paranoid.
Multiple OS support with their software; even the Linux client is pretty good. Plenty of servers all over the world and I've found download speeds are pretty good.

The EU have a digital rights bill coming up too - even linking a site will apparently cause issues - could cause absolute chaos - cannot see any way it would advantage or help any EU based internet startup establish any sort of major web presence in terms of certain forms of digital data.

Posted (edited)

I've had quite a few websites block me..  mostly US but none I can remember specifically.

The bigger hassle for me is directly business related..  we did a week long trade show last week.  No longer allowed to just collect people's business cards,  instead we had to use an app where the customer agrees to us having their contact details and that we can send them whatever material they were interested in..  but no functionality to take notes of the conversation etc so you can remember what it was they did, application challenges they have or what they actually needed to buy.

So now we just have a mail list of people who we will send generic information to.  Pretty useless.

Edited by Libspero

This does appear to be EU-style control of the web, just by making the experience so shit that people stop bothering to use it. Seriously, it was bad enough with pop-ups and ads and whatever, but now you get the fucking cookie acceptance thing, double-opt in for emails, GDPR blocking. It's really quite a poor experience now.