• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Mevagissey fights back against incomers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5853849/Cornish-locals-vote-BAN-second-home-owners-buying-new-houses.html

Locals who have been priced out of their pretty fishing village have voted to ban second-home owners from buying new builds in a landslide victory.

Mevagissey, in Cornwall, has seen a boom in the number of houses being purchased as holiday homes over recent years.

The average house now costs almost £300,000, which is 20 times the local salary, forcing locals to move elsewhere if they want to get on the property ladder.

To clamp down, residents in the tourist hotspot held a referendum to block the sale of new builds to second-home owners - with 90 per cent in favour.

32 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5853849/Cornish-locals-vote-BAN-second-home-owners-buying-new-houses.html

Locals who have been priced out of their pretty fishing village have voted to ban second-home owners from buying new builds in a landslide victory.

Mevagissey, in Cornwall, has seen a boom in the number of houses being purchased as holiday homes over recent years.

The average house now costs almost £300,000, which is 20 times the local salary, forcing locals to move elsewhere if they want to get on the property ladder.

To clamp down, residents in the tourist hotspot held a referendum to block the sale of new builds to second-home owners - with 90 per cent in favour.

Let them buy.

But tax the fuckers til they bleed out of their arses.

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

Some people might think this vote insular but having lived in Second homesville myself I've seen just how much high second-home ownership absolutely decimates small towns. It also sucks the very soul out of them.

It also (and this is purely my opinion) has a tendancy to fill the place up with complete arseholes. 

Fair play the people of Megavissey.

Welcome to 2nd homes /holiday lets are cunts town.

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

Some people might think this vote insular but having lived in Second homesville myself I've seen just how much high second-home ownership absolutely decimates small towns. It also sucks the very soul out of them.

It also (and this is purely my opinion) has a tendancy to fill the place up with complete arseholes. 

Fair play the people of Megavissey.

Coming from Whitby, I agree. The place is like a theme park, rather than a working town. 

Why don't the locals just burn the incomers houses down, squat in them or rob them? 

I was in Salcombe a while ago, I've never seen so many arrogant sloany wankers in one place at one time. God knows how the locals cope with it. People are too tolerant sometimes. 

I'm sure there will be ways to circumvent the rules. How do they propose to prevent the sale to a family who already own a home?

I'm also puzzled if there is such animosity to second home owners why so many properties are restricted by the local authorities as holiday lets only with restrictions to prevent them being occupied all year?

4 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Why don't the locals just burn the incomers houses down, squat in them or rob them? 

I was in Salcombe a while ago, I've never seen so many arrogant sloany wankers in one place at one time. God knows how the locals cope with it. People are too tolerant sometimes. 

Probably because there are no locals. No work and sky high prices mean that they have all gone elsewhere, leaving the elderly behind 

3 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I'm also puzzled if there is such animosity to second home owners why so many properties are restricted by the local authorities as holiday lets only with restrictions to prevent them being occupied all year?

It's a very good point that.

As much as I dislike high levels of second homes, there is a thought that always runs through my head when people moan about it - I include myself in that. It's the same thought I had in Australia when I listened to loads of Aussies bemoaning the fact that the Chinese were buying up colossal amounts of property and land:

'Well you bloody sold it to them'.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

As much as I dislike high levels of second homes, there is a thought that always runs through my head when people moan about it - I include myself in that. It's the same thought I had in Australia when I listened to loads of Aussies bemoaning the fact that the Chinese were buying up colossal amounts of property and land:

The corporate builders sold them.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

There are no locals in Salcombe, it is a complete shit hole, albeit a beautiful location. It changed character completely in the 80s.

Edited by Hopeful

Cornwall will be decimated if they ever build a motorway from London all the way down there, middle class home counties folk moving anywhere will make the place bland and characterless. As that is exactly what those fuckers are.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Short termism. The starter homes in Whitby were the fisherman’s cottages. Cold dark hovels, you could buy one for a fraction of the price  of a ‘proper’ house in the town.  Most started off in them, either renting or buying very cheaply. 

Now, they sell to the incomers for a premium.  More than the proper family houses. 

1 minute ago, Banned by HPC said:

The corporate builders sold them.

Some, not all though.

It's easy to be a dedicated member of the community...until someone waves half a million quid under your nose for your gaff.

Like someone above said, tax the tits off them.

1 minute ago, Banned by HPC said:

Cornwall will be decimated if they ever build a motorway from London all the way down there, middle class home counties folk moving anywhere will make the place bland and characterless. As that is exactly what those fuckers are.

That's exactly what happened in the Cotswolds. The place is stultifying.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Like someone above said, tax the tits off them.

DOnt think it'll ever happen, not even ith a Steptoe led coalition of the left ... as most  those with power in the left are neck deep in pwopertee wealth.

30 minutes ago, Banned by HPC said:

No.

Middles class home county type are being decimated by technology. Its a sight to behold at the mo.

The other freeby they got - subbed rail travel into London has ended. Crossrail cost is being loaded onto the users rather than uk population.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No.

Middles class home county type are being decimated by technology. Its a sight to behold at the mo.

The other freeby they got - subbed rail travel into London has ended. Crossrail cost is being loaded onto the users rather than uk population.

So, genuine question, where are all these people getting the money to buy second homes?  Anywhere bordering on nicecseems to be infested 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

So, genuine question, where are all these people getting the money to buy second homes?  Anywhere bordering on nicecseems to be infested 

They are doing something very very very stupid.

Hard to tell but my anecdotal evidence is all the same - they are withdrawing equity and doubling down on more housing.

With the tuse of IRs this will explided in their faces.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Probably remortgaging their overpriced places in and around Londonistan at record zero rates to get the cash to sub their new place in the shires or near the beach.

Plan will be to cash up and flee at some point in the future on the back of the free money courtesy of the next batch with the same plan.

It is like musical chairs while the music is still playing, trouble is at some point people will get fed-up of the game.

Its all a little tiresome.

Just now, spygirl said:

They are doing something very very very stupid.

Hard to tell but my anecdotal evidence is all the same - they are withdrawing equity and doubling down on more housing.

With the tuse of IRs this will explided in their faces.

Ah, borrowed money. Idiots. 

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

Probably remortgaging their overpriced places in and around Londonistan at record zero rates to get the cash to sub their new place in the shires or near the beach.

Plan will be to cash up and flee at some point in the future on the back of the free money courtesy of the next batch with the same plan.

It is like musical chairs while the music is still playing, trouble is at some point people will get fed-up of the game.

In my home town, prices have not moved for about ten years. There must be some very disappointed people. 

1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I'm sure there will be ways to circumvent the rules. How do they propose to prevent the sale to a family who already own a home?

Are so many properties like that?  The only ones I know are static caravan sites and lodges.

I'm not aware of any "proper" houses or flats with that restriction.

11 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Oh the exitting of investment property is brutal.