• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Southmartin

VPS Recommendations

Posted (edited)

Need to get a windows machine running 24/7 in a cloud environment. Only for running Chrome with some extensions - just better to do it over a machine that's not my main work laptop

Any recommendations for suppliers?

Edited by Southmartin

Windscribe deal here - if you go to the lin and wait a minute or two you will get a pop-iup offering 10% off if you send them an email. Brings it to about 3 years for £12 or thereabouts.

Some Brits say they get really good speends via it. Others say they get so so. But for £12 you can give it a try over spending on more expensive services.

Note: Some people say that configuring the Windows VPN client to use the service rather than using the Windscribe VPN client solves the speed issue.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/3-year-windscribe-vpn??aid=a-eavs0v5m

Does it need to be Windows if that's all you're doing? Why 24/7? Why cloud?

Dependent on these answers, you could also:

1. Boot a persistent USB installation of some Linux distro.
2. Virtualise another copy of Windows on your laptop to do this (depends on your laptop specs).
3. If the extensions work on Chromium and what you want to do also does, the latest Raspberry Pi can happily sit on your home network running 24/7, accessible via VNC in and outside your home.

We still use VPN UK. It's actually about the best one we've used. Most of them overload their networks so they eventually collapse and you have no choice but to move on if you can't wait for them to get it sorted or for everyone else to leave.

It does shave off a fair bit of speed. Occasionally it slows to a crawl. At certain times it does deliver most of the underlying connection's speed though not necessarily when you might think e.g. in the middle of the night.

Trying it just now a an example - our connection is actually running really slowly this morning, downstream would normally be close to double that. It is a 4G connection so it's variable but it's not normally that variable. Might have caught it at a bad moment.

While both tests are always variable depending on when exactly you run them, this is at the better end of the sort of experience you tend to get with VPNs of the ten quid a month variety.

Without the VPN:

7404617106.png

With the VPN:

7404611530.png

Sorry I came in at the end and didn't read the OP.

Playing around with some providers recently this one came out quite well for cheap cloud machines:

https://www.cloudspaceuk.co.uk/

Cheap, performant, portal works well etc.

Just to catch you all up.

I tried OVH but they operated through a browser and the lag was terrible. It was actually impossible to input the login password i'd chosen as it kept repeating random keys twice. In the end I gave up and got a refund!

I had ti use windows as Microsoft RD is the app that works best on mac and iPad, so in the end I went with these guys: http://www.databasemart.com who were half the price, and for what I need it seems to be working perfectly so far. 

I'll update this thread and slag the bastards off if it goes tits up though!

1 hour ago, Southmartin said:

Just to catch you all up.

I tried OVH but they operated through a browser and the lag was terrible. It was actually impossible to input the login password i'd chosen as it kept repeating random keys twice. In the end I gave up and got a refund!

I had ti use windows as Microsoft RD is the app that works best on mac and iPad, so in the end I went with these guys: http://www.databasemart.com who were half the price, and for what I need it seems to be working perfectly so far. 

I'll update this thread and slag the bastards off if it goes tits up though!

Ouch! Maybe it’s because they have a Montreal data centre with fast links to my ISP that I’ve not had that experience.